682 gold e 32 inch barrels

gemini52

I have been toying with the idea of changing my gold e for a browning,i mentioned this to the guy at my local dealers and he pulled a face and said 32 inch barrels are out of favour at the moment,people prefering 30 inch,i must admit its news to me anyone heard of this in your nect of the woods?

59 minutes ago, gemini52 said:

I have been toying with the idea of changing my gold e for a browning,i mentioned this to the guy at my local dealers and he pulled a face and said 32 inch barrels are out of favour at the moment,people prefering 30 inch,i must admit its news to me anyone heard of this in your nect of the woods?

Do you not think it may just be a ruse by your dealer to get you to settle for less when changing guns?

Tell your dealer to take a run and jump.

I prefer 30" tubes after owning three guns with 32" barrels and extended choke.

I find 30" more instinctive to shoot and no disadvantage. 

Dedicated clay shooters and guns 32" is in favour and has been for near on the last decade.

10 hours ago, gemini52 said:

It's completely true, 32" tubes are a fad which started in the late 80's and is sure to fade away any day now, also 19 x 20 of the top 20 in English sporting prefer them(as do most serious clay shooters), a similar number have fallen for the same fad in Fitasc. 

53 minutes ago, Hamster said:

It's completely true, 32" tubes are a fad which started in the late 80's and is sure to fade away any day now, also 19 x 20 of the top 20 in English sporting prefer them(as do most serious clay shooters), a similar number have fallen for the same fad in Fitasc. 

It’s also very true that Beretta are falling out of favour and no serious clay shooters use them anymore.  Who’s won anything with a Beretta recently. 

They really are just a cheap starters gun now.  

Despite believing there are many faddish elements about guns and shooting, there are indeed horses for courses.

I do enjoy using my 32” barrelled gun for driven game, and although it responds ok on clay bolting bunnies, it wouldn’t be my first choice for the real thing. 

I believe shorter barrels to be more responsive but that’s just my opinion. 

16 hours ago, gemini52 said:

and he pulled a face and said 32 inch barrels are out of favour at the moment,people prefering 30 inch

Does the dealer have a mullet? Does he have a Duran Duran CD in his car? Does he eat Pot Noodles? I'm guessing yes to all 3.

The only dealer I've come across with genuine integrity and doesn't treat customers like mugs is Greenfield's down in Salisbury. I get the impression most of the rest will tell whatever story they can contrive in order to shift product. Either because they have a quantity commitment with a particular make or they need to shift slow moving stock.

The Gold E is a perfect example of a gun virtually designed to have 32s as a lot of people find it too whippy with 30s and the Browning 725 sporter is likewise a natural for 32s and it's the same with most CG sporters.

3 minutes ago, Westward said:

Does the dealer have a mullet? Does he have a Duran Duran CD in his car? Does he eat Pot Noodles? I'm guessing yes to all 3.

The only dealer I've come across with genuine integrity and doesn't treat customers like mugs is Greenfield's down in Salisbury. I get the impression most of the rest will tell whatever story they can contrive in order to shift product. Either because they have a quantity commitment with a particular make or they need to shift slow moving stock.

The Gold E is a perfect example of a gun virtually designed to have 32s as a lot of people find it too whippy with 30s and the Browning 725 sporter is likewise a natural for 32s and it's the same with most CG sporters.

What’s wrong with Pot Noodles? 

I wonder why you see clay shooters with their hand up following a clays line. So they get it right when they shoot with gun in shoulder.

Surely with no gun they will throw their hand around with no control as it's far too light and uncontrollable. If longer barrels are better why are we not seeing more 34" & 36" barrelled guns on the clay circuit. Hmm could it be sponsored shots using guns given by manufacturers looking to sell more to Joe public. Who wouldn't buy it if it wasnt any different and better than what they already have.

Shoot what you like and what feels comfortable to you, if that's 24" barrels or 36" barrels enjoy.

46 minutes ago, figgy said:

I wonder why you see clay shooters with their hand up following a clays line. So they get it right when they shoot with gun in shoulder.

Surely with no gun they will throw their hand around with no control as it's far too light and uncontrollable. If longer barrels are better why are we not seeing more 34" & 36" barrelled guns on the clay circuit. Hmm could it be sponsored shots using guns given by manufacturers looking to sell more to Joe public. Who wouldn't buy it if it wasnt any different and better than what they already have.

Shoot what you like and what feels comfortable to you, if that's 24" barrels or 36" barrels enjoy.

Because of the Law of diminishing returns, most experienced shooters reckon 32" is the best compromise because it can deal with long targets better and still cope with the fast and close stuff, some do choose 34" incidentally but not many, some of their less obvious drawbacks include "dry" handling, not only are they a pain to find cases for and/or carry in the boot but they can also feel very unwieldy when loading and holding in the stand, been there done that. 

There is zero reason for a manufacturer to want to push one barrel length over another, in fact if anything they'd be far happier if we all shot 24" guns because the raw materials would cost them less. 

Hamster the point I was getting at with manufacturers was nearly all competition shooters were shooting 28 or 30" tubes. Then 32" came along a few started scoring well with them and a new fad was born. To sell to us the run of the mill public. We wouldn't buy another 30" when we have one that works but a 32" yep need one it's the answer to get more crosses on the card. Then fully adjustable stock then comes adjustable ribs and weights for barrel and stock. Manufacturers need something to make us part with our money.

The extra length barrel for weight can be nullified by heavier barrels or chokes. If your 32" tubes weigh in at say 1600 grams and your 30" tubes the same you have no difference in weight of swing bar the length and then can you actually see it or feel it. Same as I very light 32" gun verses a very heavy 30 or 28 gun. 

I'm not convinced with barrel length alone. I know most of the top boys use them, but weight where you want or need it to me is the key factor. A lighter gun is more pointable/instinctive for quick shots, a heavier or longer or heavier barreled gun can be more continuous in a swing due to its inertia.

I have a Beretta 30" fixed choke that is a nice gun to shoot it's ballance feels very good to me well. Ballanced on the hi he pin without excess weight. I also have a 30" multichoked Benelli Rafaello Super Sport with Briley weighted mag cap, its chunk longer than my K80 Super Sport was but lighter to swing and use, still steady but much easier on my lower back to stop it's movement and get on a second clay.

So barrel and gun length alone isn't the only factor to my way of thinking. It's about how much weight your holding in front of you,where that weight is ballanced and it's inertia.

A mate of mine has a 425 browning elite grade 3 with 28 inch barrels,he has bought a 20 bore so no longer uses it,he said i can have it for 500 quid so had a go with it last week on the clays.i missed very little with it to be honest it just felt right for me.my renewel is going through at the moment so hopefully i will be able pick it up soon,still undecided about the gold e will see how things pan out with the browning.

I have a beretta 682 gold e with 30” barrels, I purchased it some years ago when most shops have a vast array of them with 32” barrels, for me personally I had a browning 525 32” barrels I liked the gun but it was a trap gun and was fine when I used to shoot quite a bit of trap, but much prefer a 30” barrel for a sporting o/u just seems to swing a lot better for myself. Everybody to there own but for me 32”+ is a trap gun