"im mainly......"at it again

ditchman

On 17 April 2019 at 10:06, ditchman said:

Mr farrier sent me loads of stuff including a very old folding knife that he has had since god was a boy...but he had busted it...........it had been used for paring sheeps feet (many years ago) to cutting flowers and grafting.........when i took it apart the horn scales fell apart at the riverts.........so i salvaged what i can and will rebuild it using some ebony scales what dead eye alan sent me....i shall use brass riverts (make them ).......and for the blade i think tightchoke is sending me a bit of raw tool steel..........old farrier sent me some opinels to see if i could recut one of the blades to fit..........the old blade is 3.5mm thick and the opinels are 2.25mm thick  so a lot of difference............

ive done all i can for the minit...and have put it to one side so i can get on with "dead eye alans" opinel as he has been so kind to send me lots of stuff...(including wine)

watch this space

ditch

old knife 001tn_.JPG

old knife 002tn_.JPG

old knife 003tn_.JPG

old knife 004tn_.JPG

old knife 005tn_.JPG

old knife 006tn_.JPG

old knife 007tn_.JPG

old knife 008tn_.JPG

old knife 009tn_.JPG

old knife 010tn_.JPG

old knife 011tn_.JPG

old knife 012tn_.JPG

old knife 013tn_.JPG

old knife 014tn_.JPG

old knife 015tn_.JPG

old knife 016tn_.JPG

old knife 017tn_.JPG

That reminds me of Trigger in Only Fools and Horses who's broom lasted him a lifetime, only had three new handles and five new heads, quoting " Look after your broom and your broom will look after you ".

OB

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cut a couple of slices off the old blackwood....then put them on the linisher to flattern them.....then abraded the metal and cleaned both with adhesive cleaner to melt and get rid of any residue to stop the epoxy working...........then glued and clamped them to the scales....only clamped them on the ends as there are press lines in the middle to bow the metal slightly to allow the internals to move...........so i will leave those to go hard until tomorrow..........

and have started work on dead eyes knife doing the brass work and cutting the blade slot..(which is the most difficult bit...)

scales 001tn_.JPG

scales 002tn_.JPG

scales 003tn_.JPG

scales 004tn_.JPG

scales 005tn_.JPG

scales 006tn_.JPG

scales 007tn_.JPG

scales 008tn_.JPG

scales 009tn_.JPG

scales 010tn_.JPG

scales 011tn_.JPG

scales 012tn_.JPG

Finished dead eye alan's knife (at last) so mr alan, that will be off to you after the easter break:good:

leaving old farriers knife for the epoxy to harden off....i think the metal to wood fit will be good and once the scales are drilled then shaped with a slight palm swell and some nice descreet brass riverts in it will look ok................well thats the idea anyway...........

took whitebridges gun into my mate the butcher today and he will be making and staining and polishing a nice sling with solid brass buckles to match the gun...so when that is done i will post it up on the airgun post.........

so thats yer lot for today

happy easter

fin knife 001tn_.JPG

fin knife 002tn_.JPG

fin knife 003tn_.JPG

fin knife 004tn_.JPG

fin knife 005tn_.JPG

fin knife 006tn_.JPG

fin knife 007tn_.JPG

fin knife 008tn_.JPG

fin knife 009tn_.JPG

fin knife 010tn_.JPG

Edited by ditchman

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

its no gud talkin to me im bloody plarsted agin:ernyha:

The knife is looking good , but my goodness , that ole baccy tin could do with a bit of T L C .

You aint got a drink problem , the only problem you have got is getting enough of it :drinks:

Enjoy your break over the long weekend .

17 minutes ago, marsh man said:

The knife is looking good , but my goodness , that ole baccy tin could do with a bit of T L C .

You aint got a drink problem , the only problem you have got is getting enough of it :drinks:

Enjoy your break over the long weekend .

Don’t say that it’s his new tin 🤔 

probably haven’t sold baccy in those tins do thirty years 😊

25 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Don’t say that it’s his new tin 🤔 

probably haven’t sold baccy in those tins do thirty years 😊

Yea but he have got perched on the tin one of those modern lighting contraptions , would it had looked better with one of the ole zip lighters :lol:

Seeing the various stages of Dead Eyed Alan's Opinel conversion (and all the others before that) and the ongoing resurrection of OF's knife, makes you realise how much time, skill and effort go into these masterpieces by Ditchman.

As said above, have a good break and a peaceful if not somewhat inebriated weekend Simon.

Look forward to the continuation of OF's knife after Easter.

OB

Cracking work Mr Ditchman great to see an old knife getting a new lease of life, 

I would have used a couple of fibre liners between the wood and metal as the amount of corrosion in the pictures showed moisture was getting in there. Liners aid the bond of epoxy especially when using a porous material for your scales. But a lot of people dont like using liners. I do plus they look pretty cool especially in red.

1 hour ago, fatchap said:

Cracking work Mr Ditchman great to see an old knife getting a new lease of life, 

I would have used a couple of fibre liners between the wood and metal as the amount of corrosion in the pictures showed moisture was getting in there. Liners aid the bond of epoxy especially when using a porous material for your scales. But a lot of people dont like using liners. I do plus they look pretty cool especially in red.

Forgot to tell ditchman 

i lost it out shooting one day and found it a year later although it did a good bit of work after that 

that could explain the slight rust problem 😊

1 hour ago, fatchap said:

Yes, I like to see the effect of liners but the corrosion was because the knife had been laid out lost for a while and the scales would not have been 'glued' on with epoxy. A layer of J&B between the scales and the metal will seal it all pretty well.  Nice bit of wood, look forward to seeing it polished up.

38 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Forgot to tell ditchman 

i lost it out shooting one day and found it a year later although it did a good bit of work after that 

Bit of an understatement there OF :whistling:

2 hours ago, fatchap said:

i shall remember that :good:

1 hour ago, Old farrier said:

Forgot to tell ditchman 

how old is that knife nev ?

28 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Well it was second hand when grandfather got it and I inherited it from him about 40 years ago so not sure of it exact age 🤔

well that says it all.............you cant chuck something that old away...it hast to be rebuilt

3 minutes ago, ditchman said:

well that says it all.............you cant chuck something that old away...it hast to be rebuilt

I’m not quite sure if it’s still under warranty or if it’s transferable as I’m not the original purchaser 

should I check 

I’ve got a few older ones about the place 

i shall have to dig them out 

cant help it but there’s something about the feel of a old pocket knife 😊

Edited by Old farrier

7 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

I’m not quite sure if it’s still under warranty or if it’s transferable as I’m not the original purchaser 

should I check 

Your lucky Lord Kicthener didn't want the blade to go towards the war effort in 1916 as it could have ended up a rifle part , that would have tested ditchie's expertise to get it back to the original :hmm: