Extinction Rebellion

WestonSalop

Somewhat surprised that my PW colleagues haven't expressed their views on this one!

I wonder what would have happened if they'd organised this when Parliament was sitting, or on the state opening of parliament or trooping the colour? Somehow I suspect the police would have been somewhat more forceful than they have been so far. But it seems that because government nor the royal family are not inconvenienced - just hundreds of thousands of plebs - nothing is going to happen to rid the streets of these loonies.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Was being talked at by someone a couple of weeks ago about how we had to reduce the amount on co2 in the atmosphere. When I asked what level of co2 we should be aiming for they said with great authority we need to reduce it by 75%. You should have see the look of shock on their face when I told them that at a level of around 100 ppm all plants would be dead so they should go and check their figures and may be rethink their ideas 

All those daft plonkers who glued them selves to trucks and bridges etc .

The police should have just walked up to them said nothing and turned a cold hose pipe on them .and watched .

Im pretty sure after 15 mins the key to the pad lock or the glue solvent would have come out. 

What I just don't get is why the police haven't been more forceful. These "people" are all committing criminal offences. Now, my politics are a long way from the far right but its my guess that if a far-right group had caused this amount of disruption, the baton charges would have started long before now. 

26 minutes ago, bluesj said:

Was being talked at by someone a couple of weeks ago about how we had to reduce the amount on co2 in the atmosphere. When I asked what level of co2 we should be aiming for they said with great authority we need to reduce it by 75%. You should have see the look of shock on their face when I told them that at a level of around 100 ppm all plants would be dead so they should go and check their figures and may be rethink their ideas 

As someone once said: "Being a climate hysteric means never having to say sorry"

I think that what they are saying is 99% accurate but its the way they are going about it thats the problem. We have been spewing out vast amounts of  Co2 since the industrial revolution and it was not a problem because there were few industrialised countries doing it, gradually that amount of Co2 has increased, because more and more countries are either producing more Co2 themselves or are cutting down more and more trees that are converting Co2 into oxygen. We are getting very near to a point of no return. More and more glaciers are melting, more and more ice sheets are melting in the Arctic and Antarctic. 

The amount of plastic that is ending up in the sea is incredible, we have been producing plastic for well over 50 years but its only in the last year or so that anyone has  seemed to notice how much is ending up in the sea. 

I think that my granddaughters  children will live in a very different world that we have seen and i do not think it will be a better world. 

Have a quick look here. https://www.google.com/search?q=plastic+pollution&rlz=1C1GGRV_enGB758GB758&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjojsC4-9fhAhU6RxUIHYcACtsQ_AUIDigB

Edited by peck
deerf

5 minutes ago, peck said:

I think that what they are saying is 99% accurate but its the way they are going about it thats the problem. We have been spewing out vast amounts of  Co2 since the industrial revolution and it was not a problem because there were few industrialised countries doing it, gradually that amount of Co2 has increased, because more and more countries are either producing more Co2 themselves or are cutting down more and more trees that are converting Co2 into oxygen. We are getting very near to a point of no return. More and more glaciers are melting, more and more ice sheets are melting in the Arctic and Antarctic. 

The amount of plastic that is ending up in the sea is incredible, we have been producing plastic for well over 50 years but its only in the last year or so that anyone has  seemed to notice how much is ending up in the sea. 

I think that my granddaughters  children will live in a very different world that we have seen and i do not think it will be a better world. 

....and you see it chucked in all the hedgerows down our lanes.. by whom?   Human beings of course. 

25 minutes ago, WestonSalop said:

What I just don't get is why the police haven't been more forceful. These "people" are all committing criminal offences. Now, my politics are a long way from the far right but its my guess that if a far-right group had caused this amount of disruption, the baton charges would have started long before now. 

So far, non violence is their thing - i've never seen anything like it where so many people are keeping to one pattern of behaviour . Also it seems that getting arrested is part of the plan. They got about 400 people to agree to be arrested before this all started - the aim being that if 4000 get arrested then the system will start to wobble and with a warm bank holiday forecast it might just happen. It all depends on whether the police can keep arresting them quickly enough.

1 minute ago, Gordon R said:

We are in 15th place and trivial compared to China, India, Russia, Japan and the USA.

Sorry but when you say trivial. Thats the attitude people have! "oh its not us its the 14 above us that are causing the problem". I have got news for you, we are a big part of the problem. and if we dont do our part to reduce global warming why should anyone else bother.  We were the start of the problem when the industrial revolution happened. Queen Victoria insisted on having the blinds pulled down on the royal train when she travelled through the black country because of the smoke caused by coal fires fuelling the industrial revolution.

I read a stat a few years ago that UK and Oz could turn back the clock to stone age times is almost no co2 emissions, and within 2 years India and China would off filled the gap.

The other big problem u have is most green energies are just 1 great big scam and only visible because of the massive amounts off subsidies paid to prop the technology up..

Really the only way forward is nuclear but these idiots won't want to hear that either

22 minutes ago, peck said:

We were the start of the problem when the industrial revolution happened. Queen Victoria insisted on having the blinds pulled down on the royal train when she travelled through the black country because of the smoke caused by coal fires fuelling the industrial revolution.

Yes and South Wales was the same, even the rivers ran black, but its not like that now, and neither is the black country. Humans produce 50 times more CO2 than all the vehicles in the world just by breathing.

To reduce CO2 and all the other problems we need to reduce the human population which has quadrupled in my lifetime.

Any suggestions on how we go about that would be very interesting because that is the issue no politician would even dare to mention.

I did notice one of these little rich kid spokespersons turned the subject round to Veganism very quickly. Well my, my,, that's a surprise

Edited by Vince Green

The stats are quite illuminating. They really should go to China who produce more than most of the rest combined. 

I suspect the trains would keep calling at stations or the cops wouldn't be so nice when removing them which probably has something to do with their choice of venue.

https://www.ucsusa.org/global-warming/science-and-impacts/science/each-countrys-share-of-co2.html

6 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

The stats are quite illuminating. They really should go to China who produce more than most of the rest combined. 

I suspect the trains would keep calling at stations or the cops wouldn't be so nice when removing them which probably has something to do with their choice of venue.

https://www.ucsusa.org/global-warming/science-and-impacts/science/each-countrys-share-of-co2.html

Because we export our pollution, through consumption, to China. We should be looking to reduce consumption in the UK to tackle pollution in China. It's these global issues that are best tackled by global blocks like the EU. We can ask them what our plan will be for when we leave.

Edited by oowee