Canada Goose breast sweet & sour stir fry

steve_b_wales

I decided to use one half of the breast and make a stir fry. I lightly fried the meat first, then mixed the mushroom & vegetables with the sweet & sour sauce, then towards the end, added egg noodles. I didn't think the meat (being strong tasting) would go with the sweet & sour souce, but it turned out okay.

Very tasty too, and I'm going to use the other side of the breast with a stir fry again, soon.

stir_fry_2.jpg

52 minutes ago, Terry2016 said:

That looks and sounds delicious, I do enjoy it when people share recipes.. thats what its about..

I will give this a try..

Thank you for posting 

Terry

The mushroom/Vegetables were in packets, bought from Morrison's, as was the sweet & sour sauce, but can also be purchased from other supermarkets.

100g ketchup + 100g sugar + 100ml white wine vinegar (Aldi do a cheap one)  and 175ml water - whisk in a pan and heat until the the ingredients are mixed (about a minute) then add about a tablespoon of cornflower + or - depending on how thick you want the sauce - heat gently for about another minute and jobs done - I add pineapple chunks and some really thinly sliced carrots (raw) just to add that little extra.If you find it too sweet or too sour you simply alter the vinegar or sugar quantities next time. 

23 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

100g ketchup + 100g sugar + 100ml white wine vinegar (Aldi do a cheap one)  and 175ml water - whisk in a pan and heat until the the ingredients are mixed (about a minute) then add about a tablespoon of cornflower + or - depending on how thick you want the sauce - heat gently for about another minute and jobs done - I add pineapple chunks and some really thinly sliced carrots (raw) just to add that little extra.If you find it too sweet or too sour you simply alter the vinegar or sugar quantities next time. 

Thanks. I was going to ask you what proportions you use to make it. :good:

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/04/2019 at 21:23, bruno22rf said:

Sweet and Sour sauce is soooo easy to make - White Wine Vinegar/Ketchup and Sugar is all you really need with a little Cornflour for thickening - couple of Pineapple chunks if you like - better than shop bought.

I tried the above recipe and it was excellent. The next time though, I will reduce the amount of vinegar. I added Pineapple chunks too. :good:

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/04/2019 at 17:37, steve_b_wales said:

I decided to use one half of the breast and make a stir fry. I lightly fried the meat first, then mixed the mushroom & vegetables with the sweet & sour sauce, then towards the end, added egg noodles. I didn't think the meat (being strong tasting) would go with the sweet & sour souce, but it turned out okay.

Very tasty too, and I'm going to use the other side of the breast with a stir fry again, soon.

stir_fry_2.jpg

For the noodles, (if they are the dried type), place in a bowl and pour boiling water over them and stand until soft. Drain and rinse with cold water and drain again. Return to bowl and add soy sauce and sesame oil (drizzle). Mix well. Place cling film over the bowl and place in the fridge overnight to absorb the liquids. Use as normal. Add bean shoots.

Edited by Penelope

5 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

If you use Chicken breast then try "velveting" it first - really easy to do and the meat is so tender and moist - never have to eat dry or chewy chicken again. It'a a technique commonly used in Chinese cookery bit works in any dish.

Not a term I've come across before. How does that work?

Buy a bottle of Rice Wine Vinegar and a box of Cornstarch (Morrisons do both) then ask google - it's so easy and if you do it once I reckon you will use the method time and time again. I think that it coats the meat and seals in the moisture - we treat chicken this way for our chinese and Indian dishes - wish I had discovered it years ago cos the difference is remarkable.

16 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Buy a bottle of Rice Wine Vinegar and a box of Cornstarch (Morrisons do both) then ask google - it's so easy and if you do it once I reckon you will use the method time and time again. I think that it coats the meat and seals in the moisture - we treat chicken this way for our chinese and Indian dishes - wish I had discovered it years ago cos the difference is remarkable.

Thanks for that - every day a school day on here

• 1 month later...
On 18/04/2019 at 17:37, steve_b_wales said:

stir_fry_2.jpg

:good:

Goose is too goosey for my family's tastes without a lot of preparation. With my last goose breasts, I left them in buttermilk overnight, then did the velveting thing, then sliced thinly and made schnitzel with flour/egg wash/panko breadcrumbs. 

Next time, I will try your recipe. I also want to try tenderising the meat with a steak mallet and mincing it to make burgers. 

Edited by Houseplant

13 hours ago, Houseplant said:

Goose is too goosey for my family's tastes without a lot of preparation. With my last goose breasts, I left them in buttermilk overnight, then did the velveting thing, then sliced thinly and made schnitzel with flour/egg wash/panko breadcrumbs. 

Next time, I will try your recipe. I also want to try tenderising the meat with a steak mallet and mincing it to make burgers. 

By just removing the breasts, slicing them thinly and lightly frying before adding to the mix, there was no fat or grease on them.

17 hours ago, olly321 said:

looks very nice

Delicious, as was my second lot I made.