Extinction Rebellion

WestonSalop

Bless them all.

All forms of opium required to drive the masses?  Religion, Politics, Tribalism?

How interesting.

I have a vague feeling that the 'UK we' will bear the brunt of whatever loon proposals are implemented, us sitting freezing in the dark while others carry on just as they will?

The frequent fliers certainly need more airports to fly to conferences on climate change and volcanoes keep right on popping away 24hrs a day?

Manufacturers drive the type of plastics used to cover our food, lots of which is non recyclable anyway?

The indecent push towards high tech devices supposedly to help will certainly backfire as the repair and replacement costs will be beyond the average means, never a mention of the cost of a new battery set for a hybrid car? Our power station closed with a proposed mega lithium battery installation on the part where 2500 homes are not built?

All very odd? famine and disease stalk on Worldwide, eventually we will all face extinction anyway as this is the universal leveller.

Never mind eh, lots of money to be extracted on the journey?

I see Dave will be giving us more of an ear bashing on TV tonight, bless him too.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

47 minutes ago, mick miller said:

Ha!! Yeah, that'll work. Have you seen the levels of domestic recycling in southern EU countries? It doesn't exist, all the trash, recyclable or otherwise goes into the same bin. If they can't be relied upon to enforce existing rules and regulations why the hell are you trusting them to deal with the bigger ones?

Even worse,  we send our rubbish across the world, to the poorer countries so that they can dump it in the ocean... simple answer is incineration to generate electricity to heat homes etc

https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/uk-plastic-pollution-oceans-recycling-export-waste-malaysia-vietnam-thailand-a8400761.html

Maybe we could recycle our plastic into the bricks, blocks, panels, concrete and roofing we build houses with for the little dears.

The houses will likely cost more and be glued together but I'm sure they will be at the front of the queue to buy them. We could build a 50% waste plastic city, with no roads of course, maybe call it 'walkham' - that'll please them no end because they could all go live there in wondrous bliss.

Edited by Dave-G

15 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

Maybe we could recycle our plastic into the bricks, blocks, panels, concrete and roofing we build houses with for the little dears.

The houses will likely cost more and be glued together but I'm sure they will be at the front of the queue to buy them. We could build a 50% waste plastic city, with no roads of course, maybe call it 'walkham' - that'll please them no end because they could all go live there in wondrous bliss.

That would be a vast improvement on the shoddy timber frame houses they are building all over Cornwall at the moment.  

16 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

That would be a vast improvement on the shoddy timber frame houses they are building all over Cornwall at the moment.  

You should see how they are building flats, sorry apartments in London. Just 4 layers of plasterboard and about a 300mm gap with some insulation, between them. They then charge through the nose for them and don't get me started on the size of the flats.

Edited by Newbie to this

Ratchet up fuel tax would be another good move. Together with ratcheting up new car purchase tax and Vat on new goods and meat. Increase tax on flights. The answers are not so hard to say but very hard to swallow. Put the money into decent public transport no tax / vat on vegetables. If we cut our consumption in the West together with our EU friends then the impact on CO2  globally will be significant. 

8 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Fuel taxation brings in revenue, but cuts nothing. Simplistic.

Fuel tax just hits the poorest who have to get to work, Many people don't have any choice but to absorb the cost because their commute, school runs or whatever is not discretionary. My stepdaughter has a hundred mile a day round trip commute at the moment.

On the other hand, I'm not gong to stop driving my V8 car no matter what petrol costs, its not an issue to me.

Edited by Vince Green

4 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

Fuel tax just hits the poorest who have to get to work, I'm not gong to stop driving my V8 car no matter what petrol costs, its not an issue to me.

We have to pay for our full costs. Those that can't afford to pay can get on the enhanced public transport and drive less for leisure. Push people from the countryside into towns. 

1 minute ago, Gordon R said:

I presume your "logic" applies to HGVs, PSVs and planes. Simplistic? Perhaps I was too kind.

Yes those too. 

We have a government that has done pretty much nothing for the last 3 years. Even less than nothing by removing the fuel tax escalator. Reducing the subsidy on electric cars. We need to get real with these things and the sooner we start the easier it will be.

If there is a benefit to leaving the EU it must be that we can look to a far more sustainable food production system in the UK. 

1 minute ago, oowee said:

We have to pay for our full costs. Those that can't afford to pay can get on the enhanced public transport and drive less for leisure. Push people from the countryside into towns. 

That's utopian rubbish, my stepdaughter is doing a hundred miles a day commute at the moment and there are no buses in Cornwall, well one every two hours and the last bus goes about 8.30 pm

1 minute ago, Gordon R said:

Simplicity at its best or worst. Take your pick. Laughable would be more apt.

Another valued contribution Gordon.

Just now, Vince Green said:

That's utopian rubbish, my stepdaughter is doing a hundred miles a day commute at the moment and there are no buses in Cornwall, well one every two hours and the last bus goes about 8.30 pm

Of course there isn't. 

oowee - you continue to post childlike twaddle and come up with the same response every time someone points it out. The answer to emissions is needed at a World level - not by blocking London roads, but still you persist.

Your finest hour must surely have been in "Being there".

Just now, oowee said:

The car is too cheap to own and run compared to the environmental damage it does. If the financial cost were to better reflect the environmental cost then the bus would be where it was needed. 

That's Spooky...…...Now you are starting to sound very much like one of them.

20 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

I agree. I have to drive 16 miles each way to work. I often drive 150 miles a day once at work due to the nature of it. 

There is no public transport that I can use. No busses or trains, none. 

All food is wrapped in plastic and there is no choice but to but it as so far I've seen no alternative. Recycling often ends in land fill. Taxing me extra on cars/fuel will ultimately result in me not working at some point as being public sector things are a little tight as they are. There is little employment here either so alternative work ain't happening. 

It's all very well saying push people into town from the country but if there is no work to pay for the outrageous living cost (lived half my life in London so I have a fair idea) you'll end up with ghettos and all that goes with it which will eventually spoil the little paradise you've made in the country as they come out to take what you have. 

There are significant choices to be made by the next government however any impact we have will be negligible whilst China etc carry on as they are. Admittedly they are replacing 10 coal power stations a year for solar but there is more to do. 

I can't help  it wonder why they arent protesting in China where im sure the local populace are also consumers of what they produce but I think I know the answer. 

10 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

I agree. I have to drive 16 miles each way to work. I often drive 150 miles a day once at work due to the nature of it. 

There is no public transport that I can use. No busses or trains, none. 

All food is wrapped in plastic and there is no choice but to but it as so far I've seen no alternative. Recycling often ends in land fill. Taxing me extra on cars/fuel will ultimately result in me not working at some point as being public sector things are a little tight as they are. There is little employment here either so alternative work ain't happening. 

It's all very well saying push people into town from the country but if there is no work to pay for the outrageous living cost (lived half my life in London so I have a fair idea) you'll end up with ghettos and all that goes with it which will eventually spoil the little paradise you've made in the country as they come out to take what you have. 

There are significant choices to be made by the next government however any impact we have will be negligible whilst China etc carry on as they are. Admittedly they are replacing 10 coal power stations a year for solar but there is more to do. 

I can't help  it wonder why they arent protesting in China where im sure the local populace are also consumers of what they produce but I think I know the answer. 

Clearly it will not work in all cases or indeed over night. If you look over the parapet then surely part of the answer is better public transport. That needs demand. Demand is hard to generate when private cars are so cheap. Put prices up on one and subsidise the other and the switch starts to take place. Same is happening with EV's. Towns and cities are more efficient in energy usage and provide economies of scale that the countryside cannot. Green belt policy that forces house building to jump into the countryside is a significant contributor to environmental damage. 

China maybe a large contributor but much of that is driven by us exporting our consumption to them. If we reduce consumption, insist on higher environmental standards (easier for the EU than the UK) then things will gradually change.

We all have a part to play but (i hate to agree with Packman) we start with the easy stuff and now we need to get onto the harder course. 

41 minutes ago, oowee said:

The car is too cheap to own and run compared to the environmental damage it does. If the financial cost were to better reflect the environmental cost then the bus would be where it was needed. 

Youre actually serious arent you ?

A car is too cheap to own, I suppose if you are of your sort of social and financial standing, then yes it is, to 90 % of the driving population, no its not.

Fuel, insurance and maintainance are a big cost to ordinary people, but its their independence, are you seriously saying that we should make it more expensive, so people drive less ?
Make cars the territory of the more well off, like owning a horse 200 years ago, I thought you were socially progressive 😄

What really economical vehicle do you drive, that protects future generations ?

We all have a part to play but (i hate to agree with Packman) we start with the easy stuff and now we need to get onto the harder course.

I would imagine those who are serious about reducing emissions have already disposed of their cars, TVs and mobile phones. Otherwise, they might look like hypocrites.

Edited by Gordon R