Extinction Rebellion

WestonSalop

1 minute ago, old'un said:

if all the ice on earth melted the sea level would still only rise by 70 meters,

Ids be interested to sea where that figure came from.

Ice melts every year in the summer, glaciers melt, the rain falls, how much do the sea levels go up by ?
We keep hearing about how much CO2 levels have gone up by, how much warmer its getting, the simple fact is , global mean temps have gone up  0.8 centigrade in 140 years, thats with the industrial revolution taking up a huge amount of that, coal fired power stations and massive wood burning.

fig3-small

https://royalsociety.org/topics-policy/projects/climate-change-evidence-causes/question-7/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwwODlBRDuARIsAMy_28XX1UaL3XlTmrXJEXW99Yxx5WLxO-6M_FxLWJ5V6WM45XkqC-HuB_gaAkV0EALw_wcB

Climate change is real, but dont let them tell you its all down to man and his excesses.

7 minutes ago, oowee said:

I think Trump is in that camp. 

This according to the telegraph in 2010 is the top ten list of consumption by individuals. Numbers represent the number of planets required to sustain consumption. Apparently we were 15th. I thought we were about 4 and the US were about 12 but maybe that was countries rather than individuals. 

United Arab Emirates 6

Qatar 5.9

Denmark 4.6

Belgium 4.5

United States 4.5

Estonia 4.4

Canada 3.9

Australia 3.8

Kuwait 3.5

Ireland 3.5

* Britain 2.75

That's what I said. We need Govt / EU to help us with the task. 

Graphic showing how many Earths would be required to support the world's population

Well in that case, and according to those meaningless, sensationalist figures.

Were all going to die, and soon.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Ids be interested to sea where that figure came from.

Ice melts every year in the summer, glaciers melt, the rain falls, how much do the sea levels go up by ?
We keep hearing about how much CO2 levels have gone up by, how much warmer its getting, the simple fact is , global mean temps have gone up  0.8 centigrade in 140 years, thats with the industrial revolution taking up a huge amount of that, coal fired power stations and massive wood burning.

fig3-small

https://royalsociety.org/topics-policy/projects/climate-change-evidence-causes/question-7/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwwODlBRDuARIsAMy_28XX1UaL3XlTmrXJEXW99Yxx5WLxO-6M_FxLWJ5V6WM45XkqC-HuB_gaAkV0EALw_wcB

Climate change is real, but dont let them tell you its all down to man and his excesses.

Well in that case, and according to those meaningless, sensationalist figures.

Were all going to die, and soon.

As you will know Arctic ice will have little effect on sea levels but Antarctic ice (land ice) which holds about 90 percent of the world's ice will, if you Google it there's plenty on the subject, here is just one of those…https://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/earth/geophysics/question473.htm

35 minutes ago, oowee said:

I think Trump is in that camp. 

This according to the telegraph in 2010 is the top ten list of consumption by individuals. Numbers represent the number of planets required to sustain consumption. Apparently we were 15th. I thought we were about 4 and the US were about 12 but maybe that was countries rather than individuals. 

United Arab Emirates 6

Qatar 5.9

Denmark 4.6

Belgium 4.5

United States 4.5

Estonia 4.4

Canada 3.9

Australia 3.8

Kuwait 3.5

Ireland 3.5

* Britain 2.75

That's what I said. We need Govt / EU to help us with the task. 

Graphic showing how many Earths would be required to support the world's population

there is no doubt that humans are having a negative effect on the planet, but at the end of the day the earth will evolve with or without us, some would say better without us.

5 hours ago, Vince Green said:

That's Spooky...…...Now you are starting to sound very much like one of them.

"Sounding like one of them", do you not understand what it is they are saying? We are all in this mess, if you cannot see that i feel sorry for you, stick your head in the sand because thats what the world will become one global desert with the meanest and richest still driving around in some form of personal transport. 

Hey that sounds like a good story for a film,  cant just think of a title yet.

When I sit in my little place in Abercynon (that's South Wales to you lot) I am sitting on top of millions of tons of coal. That's because for millions of years it was covered in thick tropical rain forest.

Abercynon is in one of the Welsh valleys, a series of huge glacial valleys each nearly 50 miles long running north south cut into the rock by a moving wall of ice over 100ft high over thousands of years.

So there you have it, tropical rain forest and glacial ice sheets in the distant past. Now there is me.

Just over a hundred years ago barefoot kids were working down the mines in this place, the rivers ran black, the air was sulphurous. Aberfan is only a few miles away, you can see the graves of the kids that died on the hillside as you drive up the valley. Down the valley is Sengenyd scene of not one but two of the worst mining disasters ever.

I don't think we need to believe these protestors when they start saying that we are all going to be dead in 30 years  

Plastic, that's different, that really could be a game changer but all this climate change cobblers is pure fantasy. It was discredited by Climategate

Edited by Vince Green

10 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

When I sit in my little place in Abercynon (that's South Wales to you lot) I am sitting on top of millions of tons of coal. That's because for millions of years it was covered in thick tropical rain forest.

Abercynon is in one of the Welsh valleys, a series of huge glacial valleys each nearly 50 miles long running north south cut into the rock by a moving wall of ice over 100ft high over thousands of years.

So there you have it, tropical rain forest and glacial ice sheets in the distant past. Now there is me.

Just over a hundred years ago barefoot kids were working down the mines in this place, the rivers ran black, the air was sulphurous. Aberfan is only a few miles away. Down the valley is Sengenyd scene of not one but two of the worst mining disasters ever.

I don't think we need to believe these protestors when they start saying that we are all going to be dead in 30 years  

Plastic, that's different, that really could be a game changer but all this climate change cobblers is pure fantasy. It was discredited by Climategate

Yes, and 22,000 years ago the whole of the UK was under half a mile of ice, how times have changed :)

2 minutes ago, peck said:

How many times have we seen a "Heads Up" for something on here. Guess what, most of those things we see are made in China, all we care about is the price. If we dont pay it one way we will pay it another.

Everything is made in China these days, even things you don't realise

15 minutes ago, peck said:

"Sounding like one of them", do you not understand what it is they are saying? We are all in this mess, if you cannot see that i feel sorry for you, stick your head in the sand because thats what the world will become one global desert with the meanest and richest still driving around in some form of personal transport. 

Hey that sounds like a good story for a film,  cant just think of a title yet.

Mad max?

7 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

Everything is made in China these days, even things you don't realise

And its China making all the stuff that we want to buy that has cleared our own country of some of the chronic pollution that we suffered with. 

Actually thinking about it global warming does not worry me as much as the destruction of wildlife habitat (forests) the poaching of wild animals, rhino, elephant, tigers, etc, the amount of plastic going into our oceans and effecting marine life, now if they were protesting about those issues I would have a little more sympathy for their cause.    

2 minutes ago, old'un said:

Actually thinking about it global warming does not worry me as much as the destruction of wildlife habitat (forests) the poaching of wild animals, rhino, elephant, tigers, etc, the amount of plastic going into our oceans and effecting marine life, now if they were protesting about those issues I would have a little more sympathy for their cause.    

Agreed. 

17 minutes ago, oowee said:

And its China making all the stuff that we want to buy that has cleared our own country of some of the chronic pollution that we suffered with. 

Yes, but China does not have the stringent health and safety rules and safe manufacturing processes we have in the EU, China, if they so wanted, could produce most of the of the goods using safer and more expensive none polluting  manufacturing processes, but that would then make their goods more expensive.   

I know theres another thread running on this climate change debacle. 

But you have to ask the question, where were they when it wasn't a forthcoming, balmy weekend. No-where in sight when it was dissing down with rain and sub zero temperatures!  And strangely, they don't appear to work or wash!! Of course we knew that!!

And why do they all have weird names? 😂😂

1 minute ago, welsh1 said:

Swampy lives in a yert in wales with his family, works for the forestry commission, drives a battered transit and has a mobile phone, and likes to run marathons

https://www.thesun.co.uk/archives/news/992682/swampy-why-ive-fracking-retired/

hello, you beat me to it welsh 1 👍:lol:

1 hour ago, Gordon R said:

Back to the original point of the thread then. The protesters are protesting in the wrong place. They will affect nothing and will soon move on to their next cause.

Ah but they are all on holiday from School/ Uni at the moment so it has to be this week.

Well , it's just started on the Beeb. The 'Facts' apparently, given to us by none other than the new Messiah himself. Mr Attenborough has just announced it as a 'man made disaster' so it must be true. I can tell you now, that if it is in 'fact' man made, then we are well and truly ******, because none of us are going to change our lifestyles to the extent that it has a positive rather than negative impact on the planet, even if we wanted to.  Merely existing as we do has a negative impact on the planet, especially at the unsustainable rate the population is growing. Who is going to organise this, the politicians? 😂 

Are you going to stop flying abroad? Me neither. Will you be swapping your diesel or petrol vehicle for a battery powered one? Me neither. I'm self employed and live in the sticks at the bottom of the Pennines. In winter I need something with big tyres and a bit of grunt to get about. No doubt there will come a time when I'll be forced to move....for the greater good of course. There is no public transport at all, except school buses in term, and the nearest garage is five miles away and doesn't have a socket for cars. There is a hybrid in the village but the owner admits its 'just a toy'. His words, not mine. It doesn't come out in winter.

Going seriously 'green' costs serious money. I have built enough eco friendly, low carbon and 'Passiv' houses to know that only the wealthy can afford to build them; most property developers are still building houses as they have been built for generations, with minimal insulation ( rock wool wont cut it, believe me ) and radiators placed directly underneath windows. Is it me? We once built a seriously 'green' Passiv house at Findhorn; the local inhabitants all bigging themselves up for their low impact locally sourced eco friendly buildings. Rubbish. The 'passive' slab alone is shipped over from Germany, and one local started to avoid us when we pointed out that the ibeams in her walls were imported from Sweden, and the glulam beams in her ridge were built in Norway I think, glued together with very nasty glues. Another was proud to tell us his walls were painted with Keim paints, which is an excellent mineral paint, but made in and imported from Germany, or at least was back then; it may be made in the uK nowadays, I'm not sure. In the summer evenings they all get together and sit around fires and sing happy clappy songs. They can afford to live idyllic lifestyles cos in may cases Daddy paid for it. There is a bloke living locally who has been all over the local rag as he is building a totally 'off grid' house for his family. It all sounds and looks idyllic yet again. His kids roam the fields and hedgerows in sandalled feet and they have a bowtop wagon to camp out in while the earth toilet, reed bed filtration system and ground source heating system is installed. He is to be applauded, but is seriously wealthy also. 

You can bet your bottom dollar that if and when it comes to paying for the alleged effects of man made climate change, it will be the average man in the street who pays for it, through a tax of some kind. And pay for what exactly? If you can afford to pay, then it doesn't matter; you can simply carry on regardless! What sort of a policy is that? 

We will be sat at home with our 40 watt bulbs while the rest of the world gets on with living. HS2 will still go ahead; the massive extension of Manchester airport is still going on and almost complete now; the building of the next sports arena for the next olympics goes on unabated; this seasons massive carbon footprint that is F1 is in full swing; politicians will still jet about all over the place on their subsidised jaunts etc etc etc. 

Are we expected to tell all those nations that aspire to have what we have that they can't have it because of climate change? Do they care what we tell them? What are we going to do if they refuse? 

What I would like to do with the protestors in London, is to just ask each one quite calmly and quietly, in turn, what they do for a living and what they think we should do. I think it would be very revealing.

I can go now, the programmes has finished.