Tyre bead won’t break

Wb123

I normally do my own tyres breaking the bead with a hi-lift across the garage side door frame. Despite every four letter word in the book I could not get this ****** to budge. 

I eventually admitted defeat and took it down to my local tyre guy whose lad put it on the bead breaker but that wouldn’t shift it either. They turned up the compressor to the limit but still no dice. The bloke who owns the place then came down, dusted off a huge hgv bead breaker out back but that still wouldn’t budge it. He says it’s the first in his career he hasn’t been able to break the bead on and reckons the tyre is glued on. 

Does anyone have any handy tips for getting the tyre off without wrecking the alloy or risking a recipe for disaster with an angle grinder?

First try easy way work the side wall, ply wood on floor get a big car van tractor jeep drive up on the wall of tyre get an atheletic switch on GOOD mate to dance on the rim keep it down, the working of the sidewall can sometimes break them free when glued, with like underseal stuff like that but depending what they used i think you could well be into the cut it off method.

Get through the wall of the tyre with a knife or similar hacksaw blade in a blade handle or duck tape it up, and cut round  the tyre (use jig saw air saw risiprocating saw if you got one)then you can see what is going on. Heat gun will probably destroy the integrity of the adhesive and yet not damage the wheels finish externally you then should be able to get it to move. If its stubon still, keep chewing through the beed wire area of the tyre side nips stanley knife on the rubber itself until it gives up they you should be able to pull it off the beed well of the rim. I had a car tyre a firestone on a 15 inch motorcycle wheel again 15 inch but bothe were different size and the car tyre tighter that was a pain to break free i got it free but was tough.

Soak it over night with wd 40 or any maintenance spray. Wake up next day and use a heat gun on about 3 inch, get a big chissel and hit it on a angle under the lip if the rim downwards. Heat gun will warm any glue or sealer up and should break the bead. Use to have this with 30 year old trailer tyres no pressure would get it off but a good shock will

On 19/04/2019 at 17:20, figgy said:

Stop beating it and get the angle grinder and cutting disc out.

I would trim all the tyre away with knife and saw leaving a as little side wall and the bead to cut with grinder. Should only take five mins.

I once was in the same yard as a chap who was cutting through a mounting and hit rubber with angle grinder the disk exploded he was lucky just to get his face ripped open.

I personaly wont go near rubber with grinding disks . Just saying.

On 21/04/2019 at 15:58, Hendrix's rifle said:

Get a hydraulic bottle Jack, a heavy car and the wheel, put the wheel under the car and the jack on the bead (as close as you can) jack the car up then bounce on the tow bar. If it doesnt come off that way, it wont come off lol

That was the first thing I tried, then the door frame.

On 28/04/2019 at 11:09, pigeon controller said:

Not sure if this helps, we used to put the wheel on the floor with the one edge of the tyre against the wall . Then drive a Land Rover over the opposite edge and the bead would break.

Tried that one also, no joy either. 

On 28/04/2019 at 11:55, Blacksheep said:

I use a kettle full of boiling water poured around the rim , you get enough expansion to crack the bead off then using the usual methods , have never failed doing it this way .

Interesting idea, I will give that a crack. 

On 24/04/2019 at 20:14, Davetyler said:

Did you solve the problem? 

Not yet. Fortunately managed to get five alloys with decent tyres for £120 to tide me over. 

I am working away at the moment so it may be a while before I get another shot at the things. 

On 07/05/2019 at 19:20, Davetyler said:

What area are you from? 

Working in England but wheels currently in Northern Ireland. 

On 07/05/2019 at 20:54, 39TDS said:

05259-item1-web.jpg

Spaldings sell them. 

That’s an interesting looking bit of kit. 

• 1 month later...