Windows

Old Boggy

Now please be gentle with this old technophobe.

I had a 'pop up' (at least I think that's what they're called) on my PC to say that Windows 7 is being discontinued next year or sometime soon. Now I hear you saying 'he's still using Windows 7, when's he getting into the 21st Century".

I know, I know that I should have upgraded some time ago, but change doesn't come easy to me.

Anyway, I'm after a bit of advice on what to do next, or what to upgrade to. I will obviously have to upgrade at some time, but is this an easy process, is it free and I am assuming that I can retain all my files, photos, documents etc ?

I appreciate and thank anyone in advance of any advice given, but please keep it in layman's terms and preferably in words of no more than two syllables. No technical jargon please if at all possible.

Will I now have to abandon and plug off the steam and condense connections on my PC ?

Thanks for any advice given,

OB

Can't help with the upgrade path but just an observation on your concern about keeping all your files, photos, docs etc. For years I have had an external hard drive on to which I regularly back up all my files etc so that in the event of a PC failure or loss of data I have a second copy and can restore back to normal. So, before you begin the upgrade path I recommend you buy an external hard drive and back up your files to it in case things go wrong.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-IN/windowsforbusiness/end-of-windows-7-support

Don't worry about it.

The operating system will still work after Jan 2020.

Make sure you have the latest service pack before that date and you'll be ok.

I know people who still run XP and support for that was pulled years ago.

Edited by gotgcoalman
10 years out on the date.

The operating system you are using will still for years .it is just you will not get any upgrades .

its like apple when they stop doing upgrades for there older iPhone ,iPads they still work 

don’t worry about it .my apple is still using the Yosemite system.but they have upgraded to the ell capitan which I don’t want 

so I don’t upgrade 

Thanks for all your replies. That's allayed my fears somewhat.

Thanks for your encouragement OF.

What type of steam trap do you use on yours. I've just upgraded to a TD but have had to increase the size of condensate receiver due to the increased input :lol:

OB

As said, really. Win 7 will still continue to work, but Microsoft won't issue any new patches for security 'holes' that might get found. So you will be slightly more vulnerable. But if you've got up-to-date virus / malware protection then you will mitigate a lot of that risk.

The biggest problem with going from Win7 to the current Win10 is the whole look and feel changed a lot - if you're really used to the Win7 layout and the way you navigate around the system then it can take a fair bit of effort to get used to the change.

Most of the above posts are right on the money. I got on fine with XP and ran it until a couple of years ago, long, long after support had been ended. It was only when I added some new programs such as satnav updaters and they refused to work with XP that I made the jump to 10.

There was a time when you could upgrade 7 to 10 for free and whilst I remember that facility was officially ended, I have heard rumours that there were ways by which you could still do it. Have a little search on gurgle - you never know it might still be possible.

Old boggy the Wynn type steam trap was always a good one as you could service it. Not like the newer inline things.

Plenty of work computers are still running Windows 7 pro, so you won't be alone.

New machine will come with all you need, touch screen voice command that will make life easier 

I ran xp until 2 years ago and then got 10 when I bought a pc. Buying was cheaper than building and win 7 is not my fav by a long short. 

Do as others have said- Nothing. When you fancy a new computer it will come with Windows 10 (or 11 perhaps?).  Portable hard disks to keep pics etc safe are always a good idea. Keep it somewhere away from your computer as they go walkies when burgled and are always irreplaceable. It will make changing computers easier to. 

14 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

When I 'upgraded', it was a case of download it, follow all onscreen prompts and bang it was done. Saved all my files and were in folders the same as on 7. 

I hate 10, and wished I kept 7. 

I keep 7 and went Chromebook, one look a 10 blew my synapses.

Many thanks for all the replies.

I will therefore stick with Windows 7, maybe back up all my files somehow and make sure that I`ve got reasonable malware protection.

Perhaps, as has been said, when I get a new PC, then that`s the time to upgrade or maybe it`ll already be done on the new system.

Thanks again.

OB