Vitamin and nutrients deficiency

getthegat

Anyone Into health supplements? At this time I have an oesophagus restriction, with no sign of a surgical date to fix me. Lots of foods are off limits now due to really bad chest pain, Indegestion, heart burn, acid reflux etc. I can't eat any green veg, no salad, very little fruit, no bread and now pretty much all meat affects me badly too. I'm loosing weight, struggling to sleep and always tired. The doctors have said there is nothing they can give me and I just have to learn what gives the pain and steer clear of it. I have to chew a lot more and not eat after about 6.00 in the evening. I'm living on soup and yogurt basically and I'm worried I'm not getting the required nutrients and vitamins. Anyone had or got this condition and able to offer advice. 

Edited by getthegat
Wrongly spelt word.

Seems strange the Dr doesn’t really know, I work as a pharmacy technician and we routinely sort out nutrition for patients, there are many liquid based drinks that can provide all your daily calories, vits and minerals.  Sounds like a review with a dietitian is needed.

Complan drinks work really well. We got my 91 year old Father in law through a bad stroke using these. They come in strawberry, chocolate and a neutral you can mix in with stuff.

Try spelt bread I find this doesn't affect my reflux. Also eat slowly and  chew everything up really well.

I used to suffer badly from acid and reflux and take Nexium to control it. If you take it long term you need to take vitamin B12 supplements as it can reduce there uptake long term. Vegan (wash my mouth out) supplementary vitamins have B group vitamins in. Aldi do a good multivitamin tablet.

Milky horlicks is good for bedtime to get you through the night.

Edited by loriusgarrulus

I've been given Lansoprazol tablets twice, you take one a day and it's supposed to stop antacid before it starts. The last doctor showed me the litterateur on the condition and it said there were no drugs to combat it. I have to wait to see if they will put a balloon thing in to expand the restriction back out. I dare not go near cabbage, or broccoli, cauli, peppers, tomatoes, beans or any above ground fresh veg. I can do avocado, mashed swede and potato, protein drinks and bars seem to be ok. Strangely enough muesli in the mornings has no effect. I once had a small handful of chips....that was a bad one and once I stupidly had a small amount of vegetable crisps, they actually cut the restriction and I brought up blood. That time I phoned 111 and they sent an ambulance with blue light flashing! The medics did loads of tests and again said there was nothing to be done. I'll contact a nutritionist I think, in fact maybe my yoga teacher can help, she's well into nutrition and knows lots of health experts. Thanks for all suggestions. I'll let you know how I get on.

Ask about referral to dietetics. The services are highly variable around the country and in many areas are nigh on non-existent and you may ultimately have to go private in order to be seen. Well worth doing though in terms of its effect on post operative recovery. 

I would follow peoples advice about using a dietitian or proper nutritionists, seems strange your doctor hasn't sorted this for you.

On the mashed foods your eating have you not tried sweet potatoes? Much better for you than normal spuds, and squashes if you can find them this time of year?

1 hour ago, Stonepark said:

Might i suggest looking at Jason Vale and his books, a lot of his juicing/soups are about keeping healthy and can be tailored to suit.  As aboue, protein shakes may help add weight back on if required.

Not heard of this guy or his books, will certainly check it out. Thanks.

14 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I would follow peoples advice about using a dietitian or proper nutritionists, seems strange your doctor hasn't sorted this for you.

On the mashed foods your eating have you not tried sweet potatoes? Much better for you than normal spuds, and squashes if you can find them this time of year?

I quite like sweet potato, but have forgotten about them and squash until now.

I think including the two hospital visits, I must have seen six different doctors. I've had camera down the throat, barium meal (weeks later still waiting for results) and not one has suggested dietitian. Feeling a bit forgotten. Business is suffering due to weakness and sleep deprivation. I'm a bit of a foodie, I used to be a chef, so it goes against the grain to not eat properly and healthily. Cheers again guys 

I’ve had a camera down the throat last year as I’ve been suffering with stomach acids for years and it’s got worse. 

I tried gluten free and I felt better but a week later it came back just as bad so I think it was more I’m watching what I eat. 

Last week the pains came back and I was took into a&e with suspected appendicitis’s but it’s been ruled out and I’m awaiting a camera again but different end :/ . It’s going to be a hell of a selfie :)

I know how you feel at the minute and I’m eating wraps for lunches or rice. 

If your worried about nutrition , can you purée food ? Will it help ? 

be careful about "nutritionists". Absolutely anyone can claim the title with or without any formal training and obviously the level of knowledge and quality of advice is variable. Dieticians on the other hand are qualified and you can always check their credentials.

With regard to your problem specifically, your doctor should be able to correct your esophagus using an endoscope. Ask the question.