Dog Training question

Salopian

Some interesting points of view. I wasn't there, I didn't see it.

Personally:

That sort of physicality shouldn't be needed/warranted/tolerated

However - I have tuggeds ears, grabbed a scruff (when picking up dog and placing it back wherre it should have come from) and raisedmy voice. I'm certainly not perfect.

Did I have a good bond/relationship with my dogs. Yes I did. Were they scared of me? No they were not.

I do think that most of us want a pet/gundog in various guises and a lot of field trial dogs are almost robots. Programmed to do what they do to win. I also know of a very good trialler who would never treat their dogs like the OP's initial post.

I prefer time and patience (most of the time) over rough handling. Really don't think it's necessary.

I do agree that we don't seem to want to name and shame but happy to skirt round the issue. Some trainers do seem to seek God-like status, never to be questioned.

Also agree that facts over heresay are just as important.

Not an easy topic and 99% of us weren't there.

I have a 4 year old cocker who comes hide shooting and rough shooting with me he's a brilliant dog obedient to voice and whistle commands and picks up well, he might have taken longer to train but he has never been kicked, ear pulled or roughly handled just a firm voice, he sleeps in my bedroom next to me and lives in the house with my family so is there a need for all this rough handling. it seems to me some of these so called top trainers are just interested in fast results no matter how they are obtained.

On 21/04/2019 at 15:15, scotslad said:

I should probably say nothing here, ( and I'm not condoning anything as wasn't there). But 

Probably going to regret sticking my head up here.:whistling:

But to name and shame is completely out off order, no one knows wot actually happened, no one knows the context and no one really knows wot he's describing as a kick, was it just a touch or more than that

I also dont know wot the dog is like

Dunno if any of u watch the dog whisperer bloke from America, he regularly strikes dogs with his heel, only softly I should add but I bet many UK owners would be shocked by that.

If the trainer really has brutalised the dog then fair enough but I do find it hard to believe a trainer has just went out on the 1st training session and battered a strangers dog. But mibbee it does haplen

Wot do u all think off the last comment, dog confined to kennel with  no free running.

I know a lad who has just took his 1st dog/gun dog to a pro trainer and he also has been completely taken aback by the training.

I know them and they really are not a hard trainer by any stretch, infact a very soft positive trainer really but still shocked him

Like I said I wasn't there but hoping the op's mate has over exaggerated slightly, althou I'm sure a few old-fashioned trainers still exist it mibbee is too early to out them on the internet as that's there reputation ruined (possibly falsely)

Same here.

Find it very hard to believe that the brutality mentioned was done in view,if at all.

As for kicking,i would give mine what a lot of snowflakes would call a kick when in reality its no worse than a tug on the lug.You would think they were drop kicking for 3 points going by the hysteria when the word kick is used.

Some folk are happy with a dog that they think is good enough for their needs and frown upon others who have higher standards and achieve that standard by being harsher but fail to differenciate cruelty from discipline.

However,if the extent was as the OP says then there def is no need for it.

Believe me, many of the ‘trainers’ out there have no compunctions whatsoever about being or telling a client to be hard on their dog. I’ve seen it first hand on many many occasions. I’ve seen a top trialler pick up a young dog at a training day and punch it in the face, I’ve also seen a trainer take a client’s dog away at a session and beat the **** out of it. It happens, make no mistake.

If this happens quite regularly then why doesn't someone report them to the proper authority so they can be investigated or do they do it out in the open because they think they are untouchable, there is a difference between showing the dog whose leader of the pack and beating the **** out of it if the dog turned round and bit that person the dog would soon be destroyed