Never, Never, Never Give Up.

What a weekend, we knew it would be hot but we stuck at it. From starting out at 11.00 on Friday morning, we had completed seventy miles and found nothing worth setting up for. We had got caught up in the Holiday traffic and crawled around certain parts of our permissions and to be honest we thought we were beaten. We decided to look at the rape we had shot two weeks before in desperation as it had a field of chickweed next to it and in the hot weather we thought that they may use it for moisture. We drove onto the farm and spoke to the farmer who is normally on the case with the pigeons but he said that he had not seen any. We had to walk so we took DBs kit and set out as we walked over the hill we saw about twenty pigeons on the rape. On the very edge of the field, they lifted as we approched the tree alongside the rape and the chickweed and we set up the hide. We put the magnet in the rape and the other ten fresh birds on cradles above the chickweed . It was now 15.00 and the first bird came in, the first shot lifted a huge flock out of the woods on the bank two our left which we had not seen and the show started. At some point we were both reloading it was just manic but I'm not complaining. DB had a table booked for a curry so we had to stop shooting at 18.00 we had birds all over the place abd the dog kept bringing birds out of the rape. We laid out one hundred and twentysix for the picture and the dog found a further four as we had to walk back to the Disco in two trips.

Saturday , I picked up DB at 09.00 and we set out to another rape field we had seen a few birds on on Friday. We set up and  after an hour we packed up with three birds. We then started to look at all our old dependable shoots to no avail. We scanned the areas for brown fields hopeful of some peas, Or sheep fields for some clover. It was hot driving round but we kept at it and after Fridays tour we were determined to find birds in the end. We phoned Farmers and asked if they had problems or clover and peas but all had Maize to plant and we have never shot seeded maize in our lives. 

We had to stop for the obligatory Bacon and Egg Buttie for DB on white crusty bread with brown sauce. As he was mindful of his fingers we scanned a valley for any movement, absolutely nothing. We zig zagged back through the lanes and found nothing but it was stinking hot and any self respecting pigeon would be sitting in a nice shady tree.

We resigned ourselves to shoot some corvids so we phoned and told the Farmer we would be about, We had completed one hundred and nine miles and as we drove down the track to the area that we were going to shoot we could see about twenty pigeons on the clover. If you read my posts you are aware that I believe in Karma and I think this was payback time for shooting all the corvids on this farm. We set up under an Oak tree in the middle of the clover field with the magnet and ten birds on cradles. It was now 16.00 and the first bird in was on rails, the following two and a half hours were brilliant the birds presented themselves as high crossers and fast going away shots. At 18.30 we packed up as DB was out for another curry and picked up seventy pigeon and four corvids. So in the end we had a great weekend and taking JDogs advice we went out far to early in the hot condition and should have waited for the evening feed.

100-3402.jpg

126 Pigeon the dog found 4 more after the photo.
100-3404.jpg

70 Pigeon and 4 corvids

Edited by pigeon controller

33 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Another weekends shooting out of the top drawer , excellent report as per normal.

What with two days of curries and egg and bacon sarnies is D B the perfect guy to be with in a hide if he have got a Delhi belly :lol:.

Always keep him down wind!!

36 minutes ago, muncher said:

Well done PC 👍, Took my brother out Friday on his birthday we managed 56 Woodies and a few crows. I doubt I would keep looking as long as you pair do I would have gone home.

NEVER GO HOME EARLY, she will expect it to happen again!!

56 minutes ago, mossy835 said:

well done you all ways find pigeons,and shoot big bags of them they must be all up there, because you will never shoot the bags you do down here, very good shooting well done.

JDog and Clodhopper scare them in Lincolnshire and we shoot them in the Midlands and only let a few down south to Somerset!!