Crawford v Khan

Gordon R

Is there anyone who thinks Khan has a chance? He has been saying that he has no fear about boxing anyone - providing that doesn't fighting Kell Brook, Breidis Prescott, Danny Garcia or Saul Alvarez.

Listened to Talksport earlier and the two bright sparks said Khan had been great in the ring and great out of it. I presume they don't count serial cheating and appalling driving as anything serious.

I couldn't bear the thought of him winning, but expect to hear the usual tomorrow - I was winning the fight until he cheated and hit me on the chin.

Edited by Gordon R

Had a night out and havent watched yet but by all accounts it was a quit job.

Hes absolutely thick so will get the endless excuses and how he is still a force and blah blah blah but im sure most in the game realise hes nothing in the big picture anymore.

Could still get the fight that Brook has bleated on about for so long but it would be an "interesting" domestic fight and nothing else imo.

9 hours ago, Gordon R said:

was winning the fight until he cheated and hit me on the chin.

That made me laugh, i said to the kids the exact thing on Friday, he was on north west news promoting the fight, i said he was good did well at the Olympics getting a silver medal but keeps getting beat when people hit him on the chin, time to retire by the sounds of things before some younger boxer makes a real mess of him.

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

That made me laugh, i said to the kids the exact thing on Friday, he was on north west news promoting the fight, i said he was good did well at the Olympics getting a silver medal but keeps getting beat when people hit him on the chin, time to retire by the sounds of things before some younger boxer makes a real mess of him.

You get to wear a little hat in The Olympics to protect your little chin, so it's not a surprise he got through to the final. And still lost. 

I am getting tired of writing the same old post on Amir Khan. Unfortunately I can't think of anything else to say other than...great speed, no chin. Gets hit, loses.

I didn’t even put in the effort to find a stream, never mind pay £20 to watch Khan.

The predictions were almost spot on about him claiming he was winning before being hit, albeit below the belt. Certainly looks like excuses from a washed up (and imho always over rated, especially by the likes of promoters/sky) fighter, on the way out. 

I don't know much about boxing but a google of his stats reveal 33 wins out of 37 fights at least half of which would presumably have been at professional or even world level, doesn't sound too shabby to me and the chin seems to have held up 90% of the time !  

I would imagine an awful lot of retirement age fighters cruise through fights they prolly know they'll lose just for the money, I know I would. 

37 minutes ago, Hamster said:

I don't know much about boxing but a google of his stats reveal 33 wins out of 37 fights at least half of which would presumably have been at professional or even world level, doesn't sound too shabby to me and the chin seems to have held up 90% of the time !  

I would imagine an awful lot of retirement age fighters cruise through fights they prolly know they'll lose just for the money, I know I would. 

On the face of it, 33 from 38 sounds reasonable, until you pick apart the numbers a bit more. Only one of his first 12 fights even warrants having a wikipedia page! This means they're properly average pro-boxers. From there, it's a lot of journeymen, fighters in it for the paydays and fighters beyond their best. 

When he's fought quality boxers he's mostly lost - and only one of those losses maid it beyond the half way mark. He's also got a reputation for dodging fights, which makes it difficult to rank him anywhere beyond the 'decent' mark. He's lucky he's from a country that's really into its boxing and had a great promoter in Eddie Hearn. The reality is he's got a bigger mouth than chin

I don't mind Khan, he'll never reach the very top, he doesn't possess the punching power or defensive ability, but he'll fight anyone which is more than can be said for many other boxes out there, part of the problem with boxing is as soon as a boxer takes a loss, their career is at risk and it becomes hard for them and their teams to get the matches, it's the reason we won't see fury, Joshua and wilder fight for years or why it took years to watch a past his prime manny fight may weather. 

Khan's trainer said that Khan said he was hit in testicles. At the post fight press conference,  Khan said he was "hit in the balls". When it was pointed out that this was not the case, Khan said he hadn't seen the video. One of the reporters said he had the video and photos, which did not support his assertion. Khan did not, nor could not refute it.

Crawford said Khan quit and the low blow hit him on top of his leg.

The photo shows that Khan was telling the truth, as his testicles were not in the common position, but near his hip.

D4pxEI-WkAATIFs.jpg

4 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Khan's trainer said that Khan said he was hit in testicles. At the post fight press conference,  Khan said he was "hit in the balls". When it was pointed out that this was not the case, Khan said he hadn't seen the video. One of the reporters said he had the video and photos, which did not support his assertion. Khan did not, nor could not refute it.

Crawford said Khan quit and the low blow hit him on top of his leg.

The photo shows that Khan was telling the truth, as his testicles were not in the common position, but near his hip.

D4pxEI-WkAATIFs.jpg

😂😂😂

Yeah it certainly looks like he wanted out of that fight, as predicted he was certainly being outclasses, in fact your prediction before the fight was absolutely on the money. 

On the other hand I don't want to see him retire, just maybe fight at a slightly lower level. 

32 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

On the face of it, 33 from 38 sounds reasonable, until you pick apart the numbers a bit more. Only one of his first 12 fights even warrants having a wikipedia page! This means they're properly average pro-boxers. From there, it's a lot of journeymen, fighters in it for the paydays and fighters beyond their best. 

When he's fought quality boxers he's mostly lost - and only one of those losses maid it beyond the half way mark. He's also got a reputation for dodging fights, which makes it difficult to rank him anywhere beyond the 'decent' mark. He's lucky he's from a country that's really into its boxing and had a great promoter in Eddie Hearn. The reality is he's got a bigger mouth than chin

But then we could say that about 90% of professional level athletes and sportsmen in soooooo many other sports. Does Eddie Irvine deserve to be the MULTI millionaire that he is, does Villeneuve, do Alesi or Ralf Schumacher, Fisichella, Trulli or even Barrichello ? All TOP level F1 drivers who earned MILLIONS and shagged their way through life's best pickings through very little "talent" compared to the true greats, so what is what I'm saying. 

Look at the snooker world, the old multiple World Champions wouldn't make the top 100 today but are still worshipped and revered as though they were something special. Deriding someone like Khan is like deriding say someone like Chris Childerhouse in the world of shooting, sure he hasn't won that much compared to many but he belongs to a very special circle of top level sportsmen all the same, in other words he would beat 99% of us (other AAA/AA's) senseless which is what Khan is all about (as his handsome career earnings will show). Someone has to be at the very top, a handful become Greats and dozens below them are fantastic boxers which may or may not attract haters. 

I lurve reading about his glass jaw when he's clearly managed to avoid being felled by the vast majority of those he's faced and I refuse to believe that the "journeymen" to have faced him were incapable of professional level punching in a ring. For every third comment on Youtube making fun of Khan there's one making valid, statistically backed up counter punch arguments, the exact same goes for Naseem who many couldn't wait till he started losing so they could blast as "fake". 

My memory might be at fault, but didn't Naseem and Amir go to the same driving school, where people crossing the road were treated as fair game. Both were very talented boxers, with a questionable chin, but not very nice people outside the sport. 

Popularity in sport isn't dependent of being nice outside of the sport, but it helps.

No time at all for Khan, but I would not like to see him further damaged. He looked an absolute mess after this fight, whilst proclaiming, other than the knockdown, it hadn't been a brutal fight. I hadn't previously questioned his bravery, but I do now. I watched him quit.

His ability to use his brain was brought into doubt by his own trainer before the fight. How right he was.

5 hours ago, Hamster said:

But then we could say that about 90% of professional level athletes and sportsmen in soooooo many other sports. Does Eddie Irvine deserve to be the MULTI millionaire that he is, does Villeneuve, do Alesi or Ralf Schumacher, Fisichella, Trulli or even Barrichello ? All TOP level F1 drivers who earned MILLIONS and shagged their way through life's best pickings through very little "talent" compared to the true greats, so what is what I'm saying. 

Look at the snooker world, the old multiple World Champions wouldn't make the top 100 today but are still worshipped and revered as though they were something special. Deriding someone like Khan is like deriding say someone like Chris Childerhouse in the world of shooting, sure he hasn't won that much compared to many but he belongs to a very special circle of top level sportsmen all the same, in other words he would beat 99% of us (other AAA/AA's) senseless which is what Khan is all about (as his handsome career earnings will show). Someone has to be at the very top, a handful become Greats and dozens below them are fantastic boxers which may or may not attract haters. 

I lurve reading about his glass jaw when he's clearly managed to avoid being felled by the vast majority of those he's faced and I refuse to believe that the "journeymen" to have faced him were incapable of professional level punching in a ring. For every third comment on Youtube making fun of Khan there's one making valid, statistically backed up counter punch arguments, the exact same goes for Naseem who many couldn't wait till he started losing so they could blast as "fake". 

I think the trouble with boxing is the window for quality is much smaller than it is for most other sports. If you compared it to football, where would he sit? Premiership? probably, assuming you are looking at only his division. But as soon as you make comparisons based on pound-for-pound against all other divisions, he doesn't compare well to a whole host of other fighters. He's also lost a lot of respect for dodging fights, despite talking up his stature against them. In 2011 he was ranked as the 8th best pound for pound, just at the point he was expected to be able to dominate and be truly world class. But since then his record is 7 wins and 4 losses. He's now ranked 73rd. In his own weight (welterweight) he's 10th, but he's not fought anyone inside the top 30. 11 fights in 8 years, 4 of which were losses is hardly setting the world alight. Obviously a mile better than most people, but as a professional boxer? He's decent, but nothing brilliant. I also think his record could - perhaps should - have been a lot better. Also he'll always have doubts of his credibility because he's refused to answer the big questions and instead answered questions no one was asking. Can he beat Canello?? no. But we all knew that. Can He beat Crawford?? No. But we all knew that. It's the fights we do want to see - particularly as there are s many potential British match-ups - that have been missed. 

Prince Nas was properly, PROPERLY annoying, and I used to love seeing him get put on the canvas, because if I was in the room with him, I think I'd spend most of the time wishing I could do it, so was glad someone could for me! But his talent as a boxer was, unfortunately, never seriously in doubt.  

5 hours ago, Gordon R said:

My memory might be at fault, but didn't Naseem and Amir go to the same driving school, where people crossing the road were treated as fair game. Both were very talented boxers, with a questionable chin, but not very nice people outside the sport. 

Popularity in sport isn't dependent of being nice outside of the sport, but it helps.

No time at all for Khan, but I would not like to see him further damaged. He looked an absolute mess after this fight, whilst proclaiming, other than the knockdown, it hadn't been a brutal fight. I hadn't previously questioned his bravery, but I do now. I watched him quit.

His ability to use his brain was brought into doubt by his own trainer before the fight. How right he was.

You're right. Yes it was low, but it was way more hip/thigh than veg! He could have at least taken the 5 minutes allocated

Edited by chrisjpainter