Fox/ chickens

That’s what I think somebody told me on a shoot that they are Creatures of habit.

Its going to get 34 gram black gold though 20 bore husspower or 17 hornet but got to be quick as run is only 20 by 20 yards it would be in and out before i could get a good shot off.

Ok lads thanks for advice I will wire one to the pen do you I will be wasting my time tonight waiting for him to come back I still have three left he didn’t get.

All advice is helpful I shoot foxes at long range with 17 hornet or 223 but baiting is new to me.

21 minutes ago, snow white said:

There where 5 left on ground dead I picked up

I can’t find the other 12 anywhere been looking 

hello, that is strange , a lone fox is know to kill many in a frenzy then take off with one , you can only wait at night and see if returns and maybe as robbie mentioned tie a dead hen to a post, i use baler twine, good luck

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

41 minutes ago, snow white said:

Ok lads thanks for advice I will wire one to the pen do you I will be wasting my time tonight waiting for him to come back I still have three left he didn’t get.

All advice is helpful I shoot foxes at long range with 17 hornet or 223 but baiting is new to me.

Just let him come in, nice and easy. There's no rush, he knows where the 'food source' is, and he's just coming back to collect another one. 

Give him no reason to change, and he'll do the same thing - and you just pick your moment. 

Personally, I quite like getting 'inside the head' of a fox - putting myself where their routes will take them, and basically ambushing them with a 12 bore. As such I take a lot of foxes at less than 20 yards.

But I'm not averse to using the 223 in the right conditions !

If it ever happens again stake all the dead to the ground and don't move them. Trust me she will be back that evening. You don't want to pick them up and tie them as once they are moved it will put them off. A lot of the time you will see them away from the shed with little bits of grass etc or half burried. These are perfect to stake down as there caching them to return later. No fancy equipment needed just sit with shotgun in range. Done it once or twice lol

A lot of vixens will get knocked over doing this in the next month six weeks as cubs come above ground and hunger gets stronger to fill. Trying to keep off them for a few weeks till they are not suckling. But had a few phone calls already to deal with them. Usually may is the problem month for me when cover is up and they are causing damage

Edited by bumpy22

Been had a good walk round found three that where a live so that’s six left so counting the dead ones that eleven out of twenty been put a chair the other side of fence with camo net over it going back up at 6.45 tonight decided to take 12 bore with 3 inch bb magnum at that range if I do my job right no more chicken stealing for foxe 

58 minutes ago, snow white said:

Been had a good walk round found three that where a live so that’s six left so counting the dead ones that eleven out of twenty been put a chair the other side of fence with camo net over it going back up at 6.45 tonight decided to take 12 bore with 3 inch bb magnum at that range if I do my job right no more chicken stealing for foxe 

It's amazing what will come in really close when you're nice, quiet and still. I've had a robin on the end of my barrel, a badger walking past 6 feet away, rabbits come in to a similar distance. Closest fox was about 15 feet away when i pulled the trigger.

I sat up by the run from 5.45 till 9 with out seeing a thing I never moved a mussel just sat dead still fly and wasps keeper landing on me but I kept dead still behind netting.

will set up trail cam tomorrow to see if there is a pattern then set myself up again.

10 hours ago, snow white said:

I sat up by the run from 5.45 till 9 with out seeing a thing I never moved a mussel just sat dead still fly and wasps keeper landing on me but I kept dead still behind netting.

will set up trail cam tomorrow to see if there is a pattern then set myself up again.

hello, as was mentioned they are creatures of habit, get your trail cam up and see if the fox returns and would expect after dark, note the time to  go and try again, 

Trail cam set up now just got to wait see what time he shows then I can ambush him I will set up about hour before hand.

I can’t understand why he didn’t turn up last night I now the are creatures of habit I left one dead chicken out but still there this morning very funny.

14 minutes ago, snow white said:

Trail cam set up now just got to wait see what time he shows then I can ambush him I will set up about hour before hand.

I can’t understand why he didn’t turn up last night I now the are creatures of habit I left one dead chicken out but still there this morning very funny.

Maybe it was just stuffed full and is sleeping off the ones that it ate