Burgers and sausages

GingerCat

Just cleaned the freezer out of pigeon breast had a bit over 10 lbs. Mixed it with 5 lbs pork belly, some home smoked belly lardons. 

Made 5lbs burger mix with coriander onion and garlic with some pepper and the rest was mixed with lincolnshire sausage mix. 

Took bloody ages as the mincer is not great at making sausages.  The burgers are excellent, hopefully the sausages will be too. If they are I will invest in a dedicated sausage maker. 

Easy way to use up birds with the coming bbq season. 

Sounds delicious.  I use all sorts of game meat and pork belly OR smoked streaky bacon for burgers and also for game pies.  You do need a dedicated grinder and sausage attachment to push sauasages out at any sort of pace.  In the USA, particularly the southern States you get your sausage with a breakfast in a mini burger form. I don't remember ever seeing sausage similar to ours...still good but no jacket.  There is no real rule of thumbas to what you can include other than you need sufficient fat in to stop everything going dry.  I haveadded apricots and apples to my game pie and for 'elevensies' there is never any left over.

30 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

It was such hard work with the mincer to fill the skins  hence I will probably get a dedicated maker. Such an easy way to use up the birds I don't know why more don't do it.

I think much of it is lack of knowledge. Walker posted a recipe for using pate with venison which a mate of mine used with some Muntjac. Having seen it I am going to give it a try but otherwise I would not have even thought of it. My inlaws are making cold smoked sausage (like salami) which is delicious but I need them to give me a demo. I like the idea of making sausage without a jacket 🙂 

9 hours ago, GingerCat said:

It was such hard work with the mincer to fill the skins  hence I will probably get a dedicated maker. Such an easy way to use up the birds I don't know why more don't do it.

I have an electric grinder with a sausage attachment and it pushes the meat through a bit too quick sometimes ...had it a few years now but don't remember it costing a fortune. It has certainly paid off over the years grinding all sorts of stuff.  Will be grinding a couple of muntie shoulders this morning to add to some left over lamb for a Shepherds Pie, well worth the investment.

Edited by Walker570

Following with interest. I could not see a decent mincer for under £200. Mine is an ok machine but it will not handle raw venison without clogging unless its part frozen. It certainly would not push meat for sausage at any speed but it does have an attachment 

Edited by oowee

The make is Bowman, seen here mincing some muntjac shoulder meat to mix with some left over lamb for a Shepherds Pie.  Had it longer than I can remember and it has not failed me to date.

Very important to take the time and remove all slverskins, tendons etc.

369.jpg

Edited by Walker570