huge increase in Pigeon

islandgun

12 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Well thats a rarity,  These are the first ive ever seen on my croft and two of only a few here in the Isle of Harris in the last 20 odd years.. Im very happy to see them........ now go forth and multiply..:good:

DSCN2526%5B1%5D.JPG.1f18c9f5a802fdbbdd58b409783f9312.JPG

Lets hope they are a pair ( Hen and a Cock ) and can bring off a few young un's , mind you , the one on the right look as if it is feeling the cold and don't look in that gooder nick :good:

Neither of them looked too chuffed TBH.. they mooched around for quite a while picking up bits of bread a gull left behind.. Its hard to see what they would feed on apart from weed seeds.. I first saw one flash by my kitchen window, and expected to see a BOP.... [fair to say we get more Corncrakes than Wood pigeon].. plenty of rock doves but they were noticeably quite bit smaller than the two woodies

yep, the one on the right looks in poor condition, puffed up feathers possible signs of canker, if you find it dead in the next few days have a look down its throat for signs of canker.

An outbreak in Ireland killed a lot of birds, its an old article (2015) …https://www.farminglife.com/farming-news/hundreds-of-dead-pigeons-are-falling-out-of-the-sky-1-6515303

On ‎21‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 19:08, islandgun said:

Neither of them looked too chuffed TBH.. they mooched around for quite a while picking up bits of bread a gull left behind.. Its hard to see what they would feed on apart from weed seeds.. I first saw one flash by my kitchen window, and expected to see a BOP.... [fair to say we get more Corncrakes than Wood pigeon].. plenty of rock doves but they were noticeably quite bit smaller than the two woodies

I have never seen or heard a Corncrake. One of the few birds on my list still to be ticked off.

3 hours ago, old'un said:

yep, the one on the right looks in poor condition, puffed up feathers possible signs of canker, if you find it dead in the next few days have a look down its throat for signs of canker.

An outbreak in Ireland killed a lot of birds, its an old article (2015) …https://www.farminglife.com/farming-news/hundreds-of-dead-pigeons-are-falling-out-of-the-sky-1-6515303

They were back today [or at least they looked similar] both fine, I think in the photo yesterday I caught it at a bad moment, perhaps a piece of snow had dripped into its eye

3 hours ago, JDog said:

I have never seen or heard a Corncrake. One of the few birds on my list still to be ticked off.

I understand theres some near the Ouse washes