Linseed Oil Stock Finish

Wasabi

So bit of a long story.

My Miroku 6000 has a really decent bit of wood on it. When I bought it, from a retired gunsmith, he told me he had done a "proper oil finish" on it, not "Tru oil" and that tge stock was a special high grade order. Anyway, after a decade of me using it the finish was looking a bit lack lustre. 

Without looking at any advice I knocked the finish back with 00000 wire wool and started rubbing in boiled linseed oil. I've been doing this every day for a week or so. 

My question is... have I done the right thing? The stock is soaking up the oil. Will it start to form a gloss finish or is this not what boiled linseed does? When I bought the gun the finish looked like it was wet, which it wasn't. Will BLO produce this? 

When I've applied a coat it looks matt after it has soaked in.

Advice gratefully accepted!

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.agwoodcare.co.uk/products/rustinspaintdryers/

Just add some to a clean rag and wipe it all over the stock. Then rub vigorously to produce heat. Do this for two or three days and once the oil begins to harden you can then add some to your linseed oil and use it as a stock oil that will harden as you rub it in. You really do need to produce some heat though and I have even used a polishing mop on a polishing lathe to get a stock hardened off. Be careful though as you can burn the wood.

Edited by Graham M