Quick check on FAC variation form for .22lr please

Deer John

Happy Easter everyone!

Am looking to purchase a semi auto .22lr with a mod to keep my .223rem company. I have my own ground on which to shoot which has a rabbit issue, and which has previously been cleared by the local police for fox with .223. Would the following answers be an acceptable way to complete the form:

Calibre: .22lr 

Type: Semi automatic rifle with moderator

Reason: Control of vermin and any other lawful quarry on land at XXX, previously approved by XXX police for control of fox with .223rem

Thanks in advance

DJ

2 hours ago, spandit said:

Don't specify semi automatic. Just ask for a rifle  - you might find a superb bolt action that you fancy instead. Otherwise looks fine

As above, and change the lr to rf, just in case that superb bolt action turns out to be a magnum. 👍🙂

14 minutes ago, Scully said:

As above, and change the lr to rf, just in case that superb bolt action turns out to be a magnum. 👍🙂

Only problem with that is that the police may well reject the application ... 

From the Guidance Manual :

Applicants are required to enter the calibre and type of firearm(s) and ammunition to be purchased or acquired. The information will normally need to be specific and not cover a range of calibres or a generic group such as .22 CF (centrefire).

Far easier to complete it as he actually wants, rather than potentially being seen to be trying to take the ****

1 hour ago, robbiep said:

Only problem with that is that the police may well reject the application ... 

From the Guidance Manual :

Applicants are required to enter the calibre and type of firearm(s) and ammunition to be purchased or acquired. The information will normally need to be specific and not cover a range of calibres or a generic group such as .22 CF (centrefire).

Far easier to complete it as he actually wants, rather than potentially being seen to be trying to take the ****

Entering .22 rf  rifle  IS  entering the calibre and type of firearm and ammunition to be purchased or acquired. 

Edited by Scully

2 hours ago, Scully said:

Entering .22 rf  rifle  IS  entering the calibre and type of firearm and ammunition to be purchased or acquired. 

You completely ignored the one and only word that I highlighted - specific.

Yes, '22' and 'rf' does describe the calibre and type of ammunition. But it is not specific, as is described as required in the HO guidance manual.

The police would be perfectly entitled to take a very dim view of such an application or variation.

44 minutes ago, robbiep said:

Yes, '22' and 'rf' does describe the calibre and type of ammunition. But it is not specific, as is described as required in the HO guidance manual.

The police would be perfectly entitled to take a very dim view of such an application or variation.

Yes, I did. Guidance is just that, guidance. Unless things have changed then it is perfectly acceptable to state 'rifle' as just that, 'rifle', or 'type ( or more specially mechanism ) unknown'. You then enter 'type' in the relevant space on your ticket.

I once owned two .22 rf rifles; one a lr the other a magnum. Both were on my ticket as .22 rf. The second one did eventually turn out to be a bolt action, but the BRNO semi automatic was a choice at the time. They are all rimfires. 

The OP will need to discuss it with his FEO if he's uncertain, but that's the way it has always been in my experience. It makes no sense to apply for one only to find you should have chosen the other and then have to apply for a one for one variation. 

1 hour ago, robbiep said:

I also ignored the 22center fire bit as it’s not applicable to the op post 

I can understand being center fire specific as in caliber 

not type 

under lever 

bolt 

falling block 

single shot break barrel 

the flo are not stupid and it’s a good conversation starting point 

On my last variation i applyied for a 7mm Rem Mag and the ticket came back as 7mm rifle only.

I have double checked with my FEO and he said i can get any 7mm i fancy , (7x64, 7mm-08, etc) as on the FAC is stated the caliber, not the chambering. The RFD had no issue with this so i purchased the 7mm Rem Mag.

Now on renewal i put for a .22 rifle so i can buy a .22 FAC air, a .22 rimfire or a 22 hornet centerfire if i want to.

21 hours ago, shootgun said:

On my last variation i applyied for a 7mm Rem Mag and the ticket came back as 7mm rifle only.

I have double checked with my FEO and he said i can get any 7mm i fancy , (7x64, 7mm-08, etc) as on the FAC is stated the caliber, not the chambering. The RFD had no issue with this so i purchased the 7mm Rem Mag.

Now on renewal i put for a .22 rifle so i can buy a .22 FAC air, a .22 rimfire or a 22 hornet centerfire if i want to.

No you can't to start with one is an air rifle one is a rimfire rifle and other is a centerfire rifle all three are different  

17 minutes ago, shootgun said:

This is how it works down my way, they are different chamberings but technically the same caliber.

Well my way is you state weather you want Air rifle or .22 RF or a centerfire all three are completely different . you can't put down you want a .22 air rifle then go and buy a .22 centerrifle   

23 hours ago, Rim Fire said:

Well my way is you state weather you want Air rifle or .22 RF or a centerfire all three are completely different . you can't put down you want a .22 air rifle then go and buy a .22 centerrifle   

Don't put down you want a .22 air rifle, just put .22. Then go and buy whatever you fancy as long as is on your FAC.

13 hours ago, Deer John said:

Do you get your cheque back if they don't grant the variation?

Yes you do.

On 22/04/2019 at 13:18, Deer John said:

Thanks for the replies. One thing not mentioned on the variation form is ammunition holding. Should I specify how much I want? If so I have read on the BASC guidance that 600 is appropriate. Anyone have a view in that?

for the ammo how far have you to travel to buy more so i would put in for 1500 rimfire expanding     hollowpoint    they may give you less  but its how far you   have to go to buy more if you run out shop hours your time fuel ect   get a good stock also may come cheaper  for a bit of quantity get a vat reciept  vermin control on yr farm     cheers   george proper cartridges 07714 323 909