One for the books, sand lizards

strimmer_13

It's in arne, south dorset near Poole. Luckily my other half has family there and these beautys joined us for a few drinks last night. I knew they were there, just never saw them. They had zero issues of being near humans, which was very strange as they literally were running between the feet of our table. 

Glowworm season soon, ill post pics of them when they come out 

38 minutes ago, JDog said:

Years ago I made a special journey to Dorset in order to see Sand Lizards. It was warm and sunny and thankfully loads came into view.

Despite living all of my life in the countryside I have never seen a Glow worm.

have seen them in suffolk.......on laurel bushes.....

1 hour ago, JDog said:

Years ago I made a special journey to Dorset in order to see Sand Lizards. It was warm and sunny and thankfully loads came into view.

If your ever in Dorset again around late June till mid July, go to arne bird reserve at 10pm and you should see a load. Walk towards the beach and come back in land into the gorse about 200 mtrs. Loads about, often see 20+ a night. 

Edited by strimmer_13

4 hours ago, JDog said:

Where i live we used to have loads as a kid but very rarely see any now. Did see some last year but not like they were. They seem to be a lot on the edges of fairways on local golf course. Quite a sight as a child to see them in the dark

Nice clear photo's , haven't seen one for ages , when we were boys we often caught them while sunning themselves on the fence  bottom rails along the old railway lines , if you caught them to far back they would shed there tails , certainly wouldn't do it now , but 60 odd years ago we didn't give it a second thought .

9 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

It's in arne, south dorset near Poole. Luckily my other half has family there and these beautys joined us for a few drinks last night. I knew they were there, just never saw them. They had zero issues of being near humans, which was very strange as they literally were running between the feet of our table. 

Glowworm season soon, ill post pics of them when they come out 

Superb and thanks. I was in Arne over New Year and went on the steam railway so I know exactly where you mean. Brilliant - I might have to take a special trip down there to see them. Have you ever seen any Adders round that area?

Just now, BinaryB said:

Superb and thanks. I was in Arne over New Year and went on the steam railway so I know exactly where you mean. Brilliant - I might have to take a special trip down there to see them. Have you ever seen any Adders round that area?

Only dead young ones last year. Heads bashed in or taken off. This was all on private land, so can't understand what done it. Plenty about from what i understand. 

Grass snakes shedding already, found a few yesterday, plenty about. 

1556048671852.jpg