Who carries pocket knife?

PPP

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost all the time, and when I forget I can guarantee someone will ask me for it!

I recently got one from a garden centre, a curved end pruning type knife. Uk legal length and very stiff to open and close which I like seeing as lockers aren’t legal without good reason. I also thought the curved end would help show it’s not a stabby stabby weapon...

opinels are great as you can pop the locking ring off if you want.

Just want to point out that you can carry a knife without a good reason, ie because you want to, because it’s just useful. It has to be under 3”/7.62cm and non locking. Wouldn’t be advisable to have even these kinds in a city pub fri/sat night, at a football match etc. But in the supermarket, your car, sat on the beach etc, you don’t need a reason to be carrying a knife 3” or less that doesn’t lock open.

Edited by southeastpete

I do. A lambs foot knife. Just bought a couple more so I can have one in every bag. Invaluable for parenting: cutting up apples that cannot be eaten in one piece today, snipping random threads that are suddenly make a piece of clothing unwearable, changing the shape of collected sticks so there are two just the same. 

8 hours ago, team tractor said:

my other half is a police officer and a lot of my friends , cousins partner is on the murder squad . I’ve asked them all on legality of carrying knives and no one has a straight answer besides proving the need. 

Then they need to read up on Section 139 of The Criminal Justice Act!

Carried one pretty much all my life, often a (quite small) locker or a Leatherman (also locker). 

Recently 'gone legal' and have a very small non locker on my keys (used almost daily for cutting tape on parcels, string in garden etc.) and a special "UK release" Leatherman which lacks the knife blade - but retains the pliers, screwdrivers, bottle opener etc.  (I'm not 100% sure on the legal status, but it is not a 'knife', so is in the spirit of things.)

Edited by JohnfromUK

Carried one for 64 years and not going to stop now. Was always a right of passage to be given one on trust.

A Lansky Madroc World Legal Carry nowadays unless have good reason for locking blade or longer. Just another tool.

Obviously sensitive to location as lots of dumb monkeys around unaware of the legalities and can't be bothered trying to eductate them.

Just had a count up in my head of all the things in my vehicle on a daily basis which may be frowned upon. 

Vaughan hammer, three chisels, three fixed blade knives, a pocket knife, a plasterers Stanley knife, a retractable Stanley knife and more exceedingly sharp scrapers than you can shake a stick at! 

Always had a pocket knife, but I have been careful to keep to the non-locking less-than-3"-blade thing for some years, especially glad when I had a custom Laguiole confiscated at the Royal Courts of Justice & returned on my departure ! 

I recently acquired a Kershaw Pub - great little thing with a bottle opener & screwdriver without looking too knife-y.  https://www.heinnie.com/kershaw-pub-32439

Pigeon shooting I usually have a 5" Sheffield steel scouts' sheath knife and something smaller for rabbits. 

I carry a lambs foot pocket knife with me everywhere, except at work where they are deemed too deadly, I feel naked without one. 

With regards to police knowledge, I was once told by a local Sgt. that it was an absolute offence to carry a fixed or locking blade knife ie there was no defence. Since this I don’t carry such a knife as although I know my reason for using would be “legal” I cannot be bothered with the argument or hassle. My folding knife does all I need it too. Stalkers etc obviously need something a little bigger.

1 hour ago, team tractor said:

Your talking 30+ years on the force and the detective I know says it’s a grey area still. It’s not a straight cut argument he told me . 

He'd be right, there are still designated places where even under a 3" non locker would be an offence, a football stadium for instance, which of course would seem common sense, but it'd be easy to forget if you've got one on your keys like many on here do. 

I regularly carry one myself to answer the op. 

I have pondered (when cases were slipping past the ejectors on my son's Baikal) if you would be questioned for carrying a locking Leatherman whilst carrying a shotgun and 250 cartridges.

Really the law is quite simple in public (including your car) sub 3" non locking is ok unless you do something to make it an offensive weapon.

5 minutes ago, Dibble said:

I have pondered (when cases were slipping past the ejectors on my son's Baikal) if you would be questioned for carrying a locking Leatherman whilst carrying a shotgun and 250 cartridges.

Leatherman now do an "EDC Rebar" model which does away with the knife https://www.leatherman.co.uk/knifeless-rebar/465.html

I have one - and it gets used for exactly the purpose detailed in your question.  In theory, I would expect you to be fine - in that if you ever did end up in court, you have selected a tool appropriate to the use that may be needed, and free from the 'locking knife' part that would make it questionable (on ground of 'good reason to carry').

I wish Leatherman (or an equivalent) would do a decent quality tool in which you could 'build your own' from a selection of blades available.  Alternatively - you could have every tool included and end up with something like this https://partsolutions.com/engineering-the-worlds-largest-swiss-army-knife-the-1300-wenger-giant/

I mostly have my Swiss Army knife on me when I'm not at work, was given to me for my 14th birthday, I think. 

It's especially handy when my daughter has fallen over (She's 4) and say to her that whatever hurts, I'm happy to chop off.  She soon stops crying!

Hayden

21 minutes ago, Hayden said:

I mostly have my Swiss Army knife on me when I'm not at work, was given to me for my 14th birthday, I think. 

It's especially handy when my daughter has fallen over (She's 4) and say to her that whatever hurts, I'm happy to chop off.  She soon stops crying!

Hayden

I have pulled out two wobbly baby teeth with the pliers on my Swiss Champ.

Swiss Army knife all the time. I've used it to help administer first aid a couple of times.

When I was a kid I found a pen knife, I must have been about 10 because I was still at Junior school. I took it to school the next day and gave to a girl in my class because her Dad was our village bobby.

Three months later she handed the knife back to me because her dad had told her I could keep it because nobody had claimed it.

When a lad reached the age of 7 he got a single bladed knife for his birthday. If he'd been responsible then on his 10th birthday he'd receive a double-bladed knife with a spike to get boy scouts out of horses hooves.

It was a rite of passage in my village and a knife was essential for making bows and arrows, spears, catapults, eggpickers and cutting strings for conkers.

A statistic from the highway code,every day on average 5 people are killed and just under 60 people are seriously injured in road collisions so the general public are much more at risk from me when I'm driving my car than from the penknife in my pocket.

Lambsfoot in my pocket every day ,wife carry,s a little swiss army jobby ,mini scissors ,tweezers ,1" blade ,useful for woman things.In the car a leatherman and when stalking always take a fixed blade Mora but with rifle in the car obvious good reason is there.

As stated by others never on a night out,football match o.w.h.y. not worth the hassle or risk imho