Travellers - recommended burglar alarm for outbuildings

mick miller

We've had a local field bought, and subsequently occupied, by travellers. Now, whilst there is no correlation it appears the criminal types that follow travellers around in order to give them a bad name have broken into several sheds locally and removed equipment. I'm sure there is no connection and the two events, in a rural area otherwise known for low crime, are just random circumstance...

However, as I've spent a good amount of time and money to build two workshops in the garden I'd like at least to install a burglar/ intruder alarm that doesn't break the bank. It doesn't need to link into my existing domestic system, nor does it need to notify anyone, it just needs to flash a light and make some noise in case of the windows being broken (I guess window sensors would be a grand idea).

Some form of remote sensor thing for the oil tank would be handy too, I've already had the contents nicked once.

Any suggestions from the PW massif?

Edited by mick miller

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would look at the products from Ring.com, particularly the "stick up cam" or "floodlight cam" products.  They will give you full HD CCTV with alerts and cloud recording of footage (if you subscribe although you get an initial 30 days free).  Great products really easy to install and rock solid reliable, not sure what value a bells only alarm will give you unless you can monitor it remotely or via a monitoring service such as ADT.

All assuming you can get WiFi to the building but an old mobile phone running a hotspot works ok.

Edited by Wingman

Okay, I don't need cctv recording as it's useless when it comes to travellers. I just need something that makes a noise when the windows get broken. I don't need a flood light, that just gives them better clarity when breaking in. Both cctv and lights are useless - I can show the plod the footage and they can say 'oh, yes.. look at them' and then promptly do **** all.

So, just a self contained, bell and sensor system required.

got ring flood light camera above garage and ring door bell and another ring camera in back garden £80 ish subscription but covers all cameras and uploads to phone ,tablet etc via the cloud, wish I read your last comment mick before id finished typing

Edited by sam triple

8 minutes ago, Wingman said:

not sure what value a bells only alarm will give you unless you can monitor it remotely

I'm here most of the time. Noisy alarms in a very rural location is going to be more effective than a light that comes on and a camera to record them making off with everything. The few neighbours we have would take a look at least if I'm not about and if I'm about I'm going out to play baseball.

1 minute ago, mick miller said:

What's this please?

I'm looking at Gaurdline security camera (long range) coupled to a sensor. It canbe used (I think) to trigger an external alarm sounder.

Damn autocorrect 

should read ‘Texecom Ricochet wireless’ alarm 

Used to work at a Massey dealer,s and across the yard we had infra red beams which when broken set off a beyond loud alarm siren like what Jaymo advsises .As a digger /tractor dealer,s the bad people that follow traveller,s around used to like to see what we had ,but only at weekends or when the shop shut,and never used the door.

I dont have a link but i,m sure most electrical contractor,s would find setting this up a doddle ,we used A.D.T and they fitted break glass alarms inside which actually respond to the noise of glass rather than movement atb and good luck

53 minutes ago, mick miller said:

Okay, I don't need cctv recording as it's useless when it comes to travellers. I just need something that makes a noise when the windows get broken. I don't need a flood light, that just gives them better clarity when breaking in. Both cctv and lights are useless - I can show the plod the footage and they can say 'oh, yes.. look at them' and then promptly do **** all.

Agreed. We had ( and have ) numerous break ins during ( and most usually the following couple of weeks after ) fair week; CCTV isn’t worth the money. You need something which will make plenty of noise and attract lots of attention, and preferably linked to local plod HQ. 

Good security which will offset insurance scepticism is a must. 

54 minutes ago, mick miller said:

100% they just ignore cameras or actually nick them...done at a local farm near me... also in this village they were recorded pushing the cameras up out of th way with long poles.

I would go with the mine alarm gun inside the locked shed with low level trip wire anyway.

Whatever you put outside these days including locks they will cirucumvent, using the battery disc cutters..... a couple of neat holes cut in the roof of one local workshop with such....

As Jaymo said, master blaster, texecom alarm panel ( I’d go wired though), shock sensors for the windows, dual tech sensors internally and one of these covering the oil tank if possible.

https://www.cctvcentral.co.uk/premier-external-td---black-afq-0001-402-p.asp?gclid=CjwKCAjw7_rlBRBaEiwAc23rhmO7qod5fCN6LTbDR5iCBFpxws6vl1mhr8JnRAtp1Rj9Pq-OvMwYbxoCNVgQAvD_BwE

As others have said Texecom, pretty straight forward to use and programme and their tech support will support everyone not just trade. Buy detectors and contacts with resistors built in if going down the wired route. Their wireless ricochet technology is excellent but does come at a price. If you can run cables then wired is the way to go. 

They do hybrid panels that will allow for both wired and wireless circuits.

I think personally .

Id put the money into bigger locks ,doors, steel plates and chains etc .Have an alarm if it gives you peace of mind but cameras and alarms wont stop them .

Big locks will .

Dont forget identifying them is pointless they are off the grid and the cops wont bother even if they knew exactly who it was .

Edited by Ultrastu

Cctv is great if you can clearly capture their face, without it then id is always in question and makes arrest unlikely. If you get their car it will be unregistered. The best thing I've ever seen and works with an alarm is a smoker. The amount of smoke it generates is unreal and renders any burglar unable to operate as they literally can't see their hand confront of their face. It leaves no trace so causes no damage to your stuff. 

Smartwarter sprays are also good but expensive. 

Reinforce the windows (plastic laminate easily applied to prevent smashing or get a bars). Reinforce the doors (steel frame and multi locks as well as the hinge side). Remove temptation as far as possible and make access as hard as possible. You only need to make it harder than next door for them to go elsewhere. 

It's got double glazed windows, patio doors on both workshops, well, one is an outside gym at the moment. So, I could put bars on the windows but not the doors. I need the double doors to get dead stuff in and out, although with the way things are going (Packham), maybe for not much longer?

I think I'm going to use the Guardline system, works by sensing movement, triggers a remote unit, which I can set to have a bark alarm, the bark alarm will set the dogs off, the dogs will go mental, I'll wake up and ready to practice baseball.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Guardline-Wireless-Driveway-Weatherproof-Detector/dp/B00HFZUKGM/ref=asc_df_B00HFZUKGM/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309930517871&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15354050948611642239&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046001&hvtargid=pla-309639335942&psc=1

Edited by mick miller