Travellers - recommended burglar alarm for outbuildings

mick miller

Happened here to a small holding  , front door ,big lock under steel plates so they peeled the back wall from the metal shed and took everything and came back two months later.As the wall had been reinforced the roof was "tin openered" 

They knew insurance replacements would be there for the taking 

Edited by clakk

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, Andy H said:

Around here they have started to attack the roof , Peeling the felt back and  levering the boards off to gain access bypassing alarmed doors and windows.

They’ve been coming through the roofs for years, that’s why I recommended dual tech sensors inside.

It's not them, it's the criminal element that follows them around, committing crimes to give them a bad rep.

Don't you listen to hand wringing liberal media spokespersons (see what I did there) or what?

Just now, Dougy said:

Tony Martin had the best deterrent. 

What's that? Three years in prison? I don't think I'll bother thanks. My own opinion? They should be sent back to Ireland, where they're way of life isn't welcome, but as that's not going to happen anytime soon I think the motion detector is the best bet. You'll never stop anyone truly determined but to get through my roof you'd have to cut through 2 layers of reinforced roofing membrane, 20mm of exterior ply, 100mm of Kingspan, 6" joists (you'd never get through the gaps), 20mm of plasterboard - I can;t see that being quiet enough not to wake the dogs.

2 hours ago, Dougy said:

Tony Martin had the best deterrent. 

Oh yeah,  then end up letting your house and yard go completely to ruin and live out of your car for the rest of your life because you've got a target on your head? 

Get real, following in Tony Martin's footsteps is probably the worst thing you could do.

The blank alarm mines are good. I bet you can get exploding ink dye packs that you can set up with a trip wire too. It's hard to deny you were there if you're covered in blue ink and look like a smurf. I cant remember the height limit but if your building is high enough its perfectly acceptable to glue broken bottles to the top of the wall - Sir Mark Prescott has his yard walls topped with broken bottles in newmarket. 

I have just added an alarm to my garden. A  pwr at each gateway and an audible alarm on the wall by a window so it will be heard. It runs completely off batteries and so far has been very good. The whole set was around £160 I am away at the moment but will post the name of it next week if its of any use. 

Oh dear, Oh dear.

Im sure you wouldn't go down that road (ill give you some credit) I dont think I said anything about you doing likewise. 

Did I ???

But whats on the table at the moment regarding burglaries at the moment in this country ???

you have you possessions taken and most of the time all you bet back is a 4 digit number. 

And just for the record Mick they are not all from Ireland. 

10 hours ago, Benthejockey said:

The blank alarm mines are good. I bet you can get exploding ink dye packs that you can set up with a trip wire too. It's hard to deny you were there if you're covered in blue ink and look like a smurf. I cant remember the height limit but if your building is high enough its perfectly acceptable to glue broken bottles to the top of the wall - Sir Mark Prescott has his yard walls topped with broken bottles in newmarket. 

Put the mine in a bucket of used engine oil. I've been told it works well.

Wouldn't want to clean the mess up afterwards though.

3 hours ago, 39TDS said:

Put the mine in a bucket of used engine oil. I've been told it works well.

Wouldn't want to clean the mess up afterwards though.

I am thinking caustic soda flakes or chilli powder or pepper powder would work on the same way would not come back for seconds 

5 hours ago, Saltings said:

I am thinking caustic soda flakes or chilli powder or pepper powder would work on the same way would not come back for seconds 

I'm just guessing but caustic soda probably comes under noxious substances. Aerosolising capsicum or pepper would also probably come under noxious substances but would be harder for Tommy the tinker to prove "I was robbing this place and I got a load of chilli in my eyes". Either way probably not a good idea realistically incase you set it off yourself.

I'm not needing to maim anyone, I just need to be alerted, can we please keep things sensible even if the travelling folk are mentioned. As much as I dislike some of the activities that are attributed to them, the means of dealing with them should be kept lawful. 

PIR and that screamer alarm seems to be the simplest solution. I just need to work out a method to remotely trigger the alarm when the PIR is triggered. 

54 minutes ago, mick miller said:

I'm not needing to maim anyone, I just need to be alerted, can we please keep things sensible even if the travelling folk are mentioned. As much as I dislike some of the activities that are attributed to them, the means of dealing with them should be kept lawful. 

PIR and that screamer alarm seems to be the simplest solution. I just need to work out a method to remotely trigger the alarm when the PIR is triggered. 

Buy an alarm panel,

You want something that sprays that stinky horse hoof concoction over them. They won't be interested in what's in your shed then.

Shame you can't use land mines or other instant justice apparatus for theiving scum.

Edited by figgy