GP Response Form Refusal

Rab19

1 minute ago, DUNKS said:

My FEO "Derbyshire" told me at my renewal that the police would welcome a decision from a judge on what exactly is needed and what doctors fee is reasonable. Also a requirement that the doctor must comply. So that they are all singing from the same sheet but no organisation will take it on.

I've heard similar. It wouldn't be more than a few days in court, a week at most. If only there was an organisation that had some money in the bank to take it forward rather than trotting the same old lines out.

As someone who enjoys my shooting and a member of WAGBI/BASC for 50+ years, I am beginning to feel like the victim of the school bully, with everyone standing around and no one helping me, I guess that’s how some people are feeling about the situation with SGC/FAC issuing and renewal, surly now with the problems with the GL our org’s should put the problems some members are having with issuing and renewal of SGC/FAC at the top of the list and sort it out, they have been forced into action because of the GL situation lets hope they are a little more proactive on the wide variations demanded by various police forces up and down the country.

i shall put my 2 penny worthg in.........................GP's are state funded..................i rekon leagally they cant refusse to comply with police request.....?

perhaps a letter to the BMA

Edited by ditchman

My guess is that some police forces are asking for facts from doctors and some are asking for opinions. I can't see how a doctor could have a problem answering has or does x  suffer from any of the following, but if the police are asking will x go of his rocker in the next 5 years I can see that being a problem.

2 hours ago, bluesj said:

My guess is that some police forces are asking for facts from doctors and some are asking for opinions.

This (below) is the suggested format of the letter taken from the Kent Police website to be produced by the GP

Your GP’s Name:

Address:

Postcode :

Your Name

Your date of birth

Your address

Dear Doctor I have applied for a Firearms / Shotgun / Explosives licence. I am required to supply a factual medical report to Kent Police which I am willing to pay for. Should a fee be payable please forward an invoice to my home address. The report will need to include whether or not I have EVER been diagnosed with or been treated for the following conditions/illnesses:Acute Stress Reaction or an acute reaction to the stress caused by a traumaSuicidal thoughts or self-harm Depression or anxiety DementiaMania, bipolar disorder or a psychotic illness, or a personality disorder A neurological condition: for example, Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson’s or Huntington’s diseases, or epilepsyAlcohol or drug abuseAny other mental or physical condition which you think may be relevant.Furthermore, can I please request that only information relating to the relevant medical conditions impacting upon my suitability to possess a

5 minutes ago, JJsDad said:

This (below) is the suggested format of the letter taken from the Kent Police website to be produced by the GP

Your GP’s Name:

Address:

Postcode :

Your Name

Your date of birth

Your address

Dear Doctor I have applied for a Firearms / Shotgun / Explosives licence. I am required to supply a factual medical report to Kent Police which I am willing to pay for. Should a fee be payable please forward an invoice to my home address. The report will need to include whether or not I have EVER been diagnosed with or been treated for the following conditions/illnesses:Acute Stress Reaction or an acute reaction to the stress caused by a traumaSuicidal thoughts or self-harm Depression or anxiety DementiaMania, bipolar disorder or a psychotic illness, or a personality disorder A neurological condition: for example, Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson’s or Huntington’s diseases, or epilepsyAlcohol or drug abuse Any other mental or physical condition which you think may be relevant.Furthermore, can I please request that only information relating to the relevant medical conditions impacting upon my suitability to possess a

My guess is this is the problem part, the police asking the doctor if something is relevant or not.  

On 27/04/2019 at 11:27, GingerCat said:

You'd think that one of the shooting organisations or perhaps all of them acting together, would seek judicial clarity on the necessity of a dr's report prior to application or on renewal. Given that it is not in the legislation and seems entirely at the forces discretion. 

There would be little to lose as most forces are either doing it or about to. 

Especially as, very recently, a newly formed group called Wild Justice, with apparently only £36K in the bank did just this to NE. Resulting in NE pooping themselves and not risking the court case! Imagine what the authorities would do if facing an Org with £6M in the bank!

37 minutes ago, grrclark said:

If you follow the links in the blog you will see what the current guidance is to doctors too.

Thanks for the link; as you say, an interesting and informative article. At least CA & BMA are talking and recognising that licence holders are trapped between a rock and a hard place. My particular case is solvable apparently by obtaining a print out of my health records under the F of I Act from my GPs practice and arranging a consultation with a private healthcare provider who advertise that they will produce the necessary letter. Needless to say, there is a hefty charge for the consultation & producing the letter.

The other choice is change GPs, which I am currently looking into.

1 hour ago, grrclark said:

An interesting blog post by the BMA on this. Seems the CA have engaged with the BMA on this, good for them.

If you follow the links in the blog you will see what the current guidance is to doctors too.

Again, thanks for the link and it's good to see dialogue between the CA and BMA.

However, reading the BMA advice to doctors, it does give them the option to refuse on the basis of conscientious objection to gun ownership. Being sceptical, I cannot help thinking that some may use this as a non committal and easy cop out to not replying. Hopefully not.

OB