Changes To The General Licence

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are we going to get compensated for our guns & pigeon equipment etc if we can not pigeon shoot any more and compensated properly for what they are worth.

Which will be next (grouse, pheasant shooting, deer stalking it’s only a matter of time before the do Goode’s get there way

hi thank you

I thought Avery put his point across very well, and unless I missed something, nothing of what he said was innaccurate. WJ gave NE until next January to get their act together, and NE pulled the plug! 

I shouldn’t laugh, but the cretins who glued Packhams gate and hung dead crows on it did none of us any favours at all. 

3 minutes ago, Max Hirst said:

Are we going to get compensated for our guns & pigeon equipment etc if we can not pigeon shoot any more and compensated properly for what they are worth.

Which will be next (grouse, pheasant shooting, deer stalking it’s only a matter of time before the do Goode’s get there way

hi thank you

Really? I don’t think it’s going to come to that. 

52 minutes ago, hedge said:

NE have relied too heavily on the catch-all vagueness of it and now we are in this sorry state.

This is correct, but in this country for many years we (that is the police and the court system) operated a 'spirit of the law' system, when good old common sense was used in applying and enforcing the law - and it avoided the need for complex and detailed legislation.  It was 'part of being British'.

Sadly now, mainly owing to the actions of a variety of 'interfering busy-bodies' mostly of the lefty (but wealthy) variety, and law firms who will fight anything for a fee - this nice sensible 'British' cosy system of all getting along and letting people get on with their business (provided it did no harm to others) has gone. 

Same thing with prosecuting soldier for fighting for their country.  Lefties and greedy lawyers. 

1 minute ago, JohnfromUK said:

This is correct, but in this country for many years we (that is the police and the court system) operated a 'spirit of the law' system, when good old common sense was used in applying and enforcing the law - and it avoided the need for complex and detailed legislation.  It was 'part of being British'.

Sadly now, mainly owing to the actions of a variety of 'interfering busy-bodies' mostly of the lefty (but wealthy) variety, and law firms who will fight anything for a fee - this nice sensible 'British' cosy system of all getting along and letting people get on with their business (provided it did no harm to others) has gone. 

Same thing with prosecuting soldier for fighting for their country.  Lefties and greedy lawyers. 

And there Sir, you have summed up very succinctly, exactly what is wrong with todays society.

After listening to the radio i hear they dont have a problem with us crop protecting, only when we do it for fun and a sport.

So we do it for protection and not a sport.

What bright spark glued his locks and hung dead crows on his fence dont think is into shooting as they only make matters worse

2 minutes ago, Davetyler said:

After listening to the radio i hear they dont have a problem with us crop protecting, only when we do it for fun and a sport.

Well - from the point of view of the pigeon/crow - which I assume is what they are trying to 'protect' - the outcome is exactly the same if it is for crop protection, fun or sport - so it is a very stupid argument.

I have to shoot the pigeons and crow's under duress as I take no pleasure in it just done purely for crop protection, its an unpleasant task out in countryside watching everything going off while trying to outsmart the pigeon, tough job but someone has to do it. 

15 minutes ago, Scully said:

WJ gave NE until next January to get their act together

Isn't it very sad that a small pressure group are in a position to "give NE until January" to do something.  NE are a government agency - and should not be answerable or under the control of a small pressure group setting their agenda.

Talk about tail wagging dog!

NE have been wholly responsible for this mess, disastrously and totally incompetent in the way they have handled it - and resignations should happen - failing that - dismissals.

2 minutes ago, B725 said:

I have to shoot the pigeons and crow's under duress as I take no pleasure in it just done purely for crop protection, its an unpleasant task out in countryside watching everything going off while trying to outsmart the pigeon, tough job but someone has to do it. 

Im with you on this one, what a chore it is to be out every sunday to make sure i have fresh veg on my table

35 minutes ago, Scully said:

I thought Avery put his point across very well, and unless I missed something, nothing of what he said was innaccurate. WJ gave NE until next January to get their act together, and NE pulled the plug! 

He's a smart guy, and regular public speaker. I can understand where he is coming from on many things, even if I don't agree. However, what they are hoping is that the licences that will be issued will contain names of licencees and details of specific species to be controlled and where in the UK. It's a bit like what they did in Holland, basically best way to eat an elephant is in small bites. Any small restrictions add up to a bigger cumulative effect.

I mean it would be an impossible position for them to defend if they said that no control should be carried out, but I think their intention is to go for anything they can to make it more difficult, or limited. Otherwise why start this in the first place, it's certainly not because they are legal nerds who like poring over legislation, it's because they have an agenda. Wasn't so long ago Avery was all over the Lead shot debacle, and making pals up with John Swift.

Avery's main agenda, as I've explained on other forums, is to end driven grouse shooting. 

He's tried the direct approach with his own e-petition, which did get a parliamentary debate but, ultimately was an embarrassing failure. 

He's also failed on his Judicial Review on the hen harrier brood management scheme. But he's appealing that. 

He's now changed tactics and trying to undermine driven grouse shooting by multiple methods. If you can stomach it, take a look at his blog and his efforts to oppose heather burning, lead ammunition, medicated grit etc. Ruth Tingray is of the same position. They've managed to secure Packham as a high profile figurehead. 

Everything about pigeon shooting, feral pigeon control etc that has been caught up in NE's decision to withdraw the general licences is just collateral damage as far as they're concerned. 

What they're angling for, and no doubt they're doing everything in their power to try and influence the wording of the promised replacement general licences, is for it to become impossible to control corvids for the benefit of grouse production. 

Driven grouse shooting is the only area of game shooting relying solely on wild birds. Vermin control, including corvid control, is central to producing sufficient numbers of grouse to make it viable. Under the old general licences, grouse keepers could operate under gl06, although it was in my eyes a bit of a grey area. 

What Wild Justice will be hoping, and actively pushing for, will be for the new wording to close that loophole. The recent appointment of Tony Juniper at NE worries me in that regard. 

54 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Isn't it very sad that a small pressure group are in a position to "give NE until January" to do something.  NE are a government agency - and should not be answerable or under the control of a small pressure group setting their agenda.

Talk about tail wagging dog!

NE have been wholly responsible for this mess, disastrously and totally incompetent in the way they have handled it - and resignations should happen - failing that - dismissals.

Agreed....it just goes to show what can be done with little resources when ‘right’ is on your side and no fear of rocking the boat. Food for thought for our so called shooting representative bodies. 

I think there should be dismissals also. 

15 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

Call me sceptical but i think this is by him trying to drum up some sympathy. I can not imaging anyone in the shooting community doing this.

https://twitter.com/ChrisGPackham/status/1121369400437817344/photo/1

Well that incident has just been reported on the BBC Radio 4  news at 2pm saying that Packham's address has been shared on social media along with an invitation to dump dead animals there. Not the brightest move to carry out such an action but I imagine Mr Packham's property is protected by CCTV.

44 minutes ago, Teal said:

He's a smart guy, and regular public speaker. I can understand where he is coming from on many things, even if I don't agree. However, what they are hoping is that the licences that will be issued will contain names of licencees and details of specific species to be controlled and where in the UK. It's a bit like what they did in Holland, basically best way to eat an elephant is in small bites. Any small restrictions add up to a bigger cumulative effect.

I mean it would be an impossible position for them to defend if they said that no control should be carried out, but I think their intention is to go for anything they can to make it more difficult, or limited. Otherwise why start this in the first place, it's certainly not because they are legal nerds who like poring over legislation, it's because they have an agenda. Wasn't so long ago Avery was all over the Lead shot debacle, and making pals up with John Swift.

Yes, totally agree. I’m under no illusion as to his ultimate agenda, and with an adversary as articulate, intelligent, well informed and persistent as he, we have to have our act water tight. 

1 minute ago, Scully said:

Yes, totally agree. I’m under no illusion as to his ultimate agenda, and with an adversary as articulate, intelligent, well informed and persistent as he, we have to have our act water tight. 

+100. Whilst he won't beat Mo Farah in a marathon, he certainly has a lot of stamina.

The whole thing feels like an Aprils fool, and NE must be in a complete mess at the minute. They've only a couple of hours left to get the application system out there, let's see if that happens.