helpful buying tip

islandgun

Im sure this is old hat to many, but a first for me.. Looking online at aged  4x4's and after googling the reg on the gov website. i found that you can check past MOT's.. what a revelation ! . so if there is anyone looking at vehicles, fill your boots. if already in the know then sorry, the internet takes a while to get here

Just now, Pistol p said:

Yes, I have seen this before. It could’ve handy for some vehicles I’ve purchased in the past. Really handy though. I think it’s just another nail in the coffin of older cars by a government quango.

Its brilliant for me.. living here, i have a very limited choice of vehicles... Im looking for a Colorado. [prone to rust as my current one is an example] Im able to access all the old MOT's and discard those with advisories or fails for chassis/suspension rust. Hours of fun ! especially so when you read some the descriptions then look up the MOT's..

It is good and i use it a lot.Mainly to check what the previous MOT's hold rather than the latest.I don't trust the latest MOT especially if the garage that is selling said car has done the MOT.

This proved evident when i bought a Jimny from Stoneacre  full MOT with no advisories.I had my suspicions after one front caliper started binding.Took it to my local garage (even though it had warranty) to have the whole car checked over.Corroded brake lines,excessively pitted front discs, unbalanced braking distrubution and quite a few advisories.

What i tend to do now is on the prev MOT's where their is advisories i ask to see paper work to prove correction.If none & a casual "its been done"attitude i walk away.Stoneacre took the car back after a long battle.

Was looking on gumtree for a yolvo estate and saw a 2010 that looked to fit the bill ,58000 miles ,even better,till i checked on govuk and found out 158000 miles ,asked seller how it lost 100000 miles and his answer was it had a replacement engine out of a wright off car and he got speedo changed to what the mileage the engine had done ,so the car had done 158000  ,told him to stick up his ****.