Practical help needed again.

JDog

In one of the bedrooms we have a 'day bed' which doubles up as a large double bed when we have a house full. One mattress sits on a metal frame which slides under the main bed when not in use. Or rather it used to slide but it no longer does as three of the four casters have broken.

I bought four replacement casters today knowing full well that the threaded section was larger than the original. The new one is shown on the left and the original on the right. My query is, how do I increase the size of the holes in the metal frame to take the new casters other than simply using a metal drill bit which is 'roughly the same size' as the hole?

Casters..jpg

4 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Send them all to Ditchman with a bottle of his favorite wine from Lidl's and I am sure he could cut all the threads off and swap the old ones onto your new casters and return them back to the postman before he has gone through his back gate , all sorted :good:

Don’t do it 

you’re sending a bed and wine  to ditchman what are you thinking off ?

And I never mentioned fat Sara 🤭

1 minute ago, Old farrier said:

Don’t do it 

you’re sending a bed and wine  to ditchman what are you thinking off ?

And I never mentioned fat Sara 🤭

Not the bed O F , that would never go through Ditchies letterbox , just the old and new casters , then Mr JDog can carry on with his fishing knowing the new ones will be going in the old holes when they arrive  , and No the old holes is nothing to do with the lovely Miss Sara .

eerrrr .......you need to check this JD............but i think those carstors are press fit.......screw the old castor back in and with a screwdriver lever and pull the castor off the spigot/screw...do the same to the new one and press it onto the castor spigot..............

6 minutes ago, ditchman said:

eerrrr .......you need to check this JD............but i think those carstors are press fit.......screw the old castor back in and with a screwdriver lever and pull the castor off the spigot/screw...do the same to the new one and press it onto the castor spigot..............

👍

On 23/04/2019 at 20:23, ditchman said:

On 23/04/2019 at 20:35, Lord Geordie said:

Silly question! Have you tried pulling the castor off the shafts and see if they will just swap over to the old shafts rather than go all our drilling and tapping?  

There's an echo in here!

On 23/04/2019 at 20:23, ditchman said:

That's the way to do it!

On 23/04/2019 at 19:28, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Drill and tap the new larger hole.

There is a simple size/thread set up which a hardware shop should be able to give you.

Hopefully there is enough metal in the legs to take the larger screws.

Good luck

hello, i would go for this to as the old caster studs look to small to change over, it is easy to re drill then you need to know the size of new stud, more than likely metric, i am sure someone could lend you a tap but i have a set to 12mm, i could post right size and handle,