Gender neutral ships

Walker570

The country even the world is going bonkers. The age old term for a ship has been 'she' but because a very small number of activists have been defacing other peoples property...a crime... then there has been a move to refer to ships as it.  Now that is very funny, because my wife and I will often , when we see a person who you cannot really tell what sex it is, refer to them as an 'it', so therefore should we do do away totally with him and her and all be listed as 'its'   ?

Edited by Walker570

8 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

It is a sad day when idiots are looking to find problems of gender, however stupid their search may be. This is a prime example. 

can't use the word prime as it could be associated with a nice cut of meat.

Good example might be better.

someone told me today that veggie burgers and sausage (no meat in them)

should be renamed  be re named "discs and tubes"

apparantly it was in 1 of the papers.

18 hours ago, gotgcoalman said:

can't use the word prime as it could be associated with a nice cut of meat.

Good example might be better.

someone told me today that veggie burgers and sausage (no meat in them)

should be renamed  be re named "discs and tubes"

apparantly it was in 1 of the papers.

vegans and vegetarians sometimes a health choice and I feel for then with not having a choice as I am coeliac have to look at all ingredients in all  foods  , for others its a fad / choice and need a label,  

Edited by Saltings

9 hours ago, loriusgarrulus said:

I am not refering to my Defender Wolf as it.

He is a him and is called Ajax the Warrior.

As opposed to ajax the pan scourer. 

I'm very much liking your style Yvonne 👍👍👍👍

9 hours ago, loriusgarrulus said:

I am not refering to my Defender Wolf as it.

He is a him and is called Ajax the Warrior.

As opposed to ajax the pan scourer. 

My terios is known as terry to all my family and friends. 

My van ( Vw T6) is called Elsie 

my mrs car is roger as it’s bright green like an alien and the alien on family guy is called roger . 

23 hours ago, Scully said:

A friend of mine travels to Sweden regularly, and tells me it is increasingly frowned upon to now use gender specific descriptive terms such as he and she, him and her. 

I despair of a world that would see this as desirable...first world mental illness instigated by a society that has nothing better to do with their time

Edited by islandgun

1 minute ago, islandgun said:

I despair of a world that would see this as desirable...first world mental illness instigated by a society that has nothing better to do with their time

Mmmmm, from all she tells me about the place, it wouldn’t be my first destination. 

10 minutes ago, Scully said:

Mmmmm, from all she tells me about the place, it wouldn’t be my first destination. 

me neither.. Im planning a trip to Norway,  just hope they are still sane.. The funny bit is that Swedish females have a reputation for extreme good looks. just to refer to them as "it" seems a bit derogatory..:sad1:

47 minutes ago, islandgun said:

me neither.. Im planning a trip to Norway,  just hope they are still sane.. The funny bit is that Swedish females have a reputation for extreme good looks. just to refer to them as "it" seems a bit derogatory..:sad1:

I think the word is ‘hen’ or ‘hin’ for both sexes. Something like that. 

Not sure I care what you call a ship (be it BoatyMcBoatFace or anything else 😁) However -  Is it not more reasonable for a person to have a preference about how they're referred to and for that to be respected, than a boat? My point I suppose is that if people can make an effort to call a machine 'she', they can adapt to whatever an actual person prefers. A ship, or dare I say it even Desmond (sorry Des!), would likely be indifferent on the matter 😂

I usually make a call on if I thinks it's a he or she and will address as one or other. If I'm wrong they chose to look the way they do,if not they realise they look like the opposite sex.

My son's long haired friends don't find it funny when I ask are you his new girlfriend 😂😂😁

Just now, figgy said:

I usually make a call on if I thinks it's a he or she and will address as one or other. If I'm wrong they chose to look the way they do,if not they realise they look like the opposite sex.

My son's long haired friends don't find it funny when I ask are you his new girlfriend 😂😂😁

Oh you do that too?

All of this makes language more boring.

Actresses wanting to be called Actors for example one of the groups that should revel in the language robbing it of it's idiosyncrasies .

However if the Germans could get rid of der/die/das i might be able to finally string a sentence together.