BASC

Wasabi

With all this publicity around the General Licence I am left wondering what BASC and the like actually do? By my sums BASC has an income around 12 million a year. Apart from printing a magazine, preaching to the converted and offering legal advice, what do they actually do?

Where is the media campaign promoting game meat? Where are the initiatives getting non shooters into clay shooting? The biggest social media presence I've seen today has been Guns on Pegs.

BASC was saying proudly on FB how they had been doing radio and TV all day. Brilliant, 20 years ago. Get with the times. Make use of big data and social media to promote our sport. Where is the counter campaign against the likes of Packham and Avery?

At this rate we will all be shooting clays with steel shot out of air powered shotguns in the not so distant future.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basc do young shots, work with taste of game to promote game meat and even in schools. How many shooters do anything but maon and bitch about the organisations. Yes they print a magazine, have media centre, put days on for kids, ladies days, work with wildfowlers(or atleast try too) 

But yes they do cock all for the shooting community.. 

They have NO power when kt comes to things that our govt do, they can lobby and argue the toss but thats about as much power as they have. 

1 minute ago, Konnie said:

They were that on the ball they didn't pick up the GL was all too cock 

Again it doesn't matter to them swanky pheasant shoots not affected

Have you ever been to a swanky pheasant shoot? 

Do you take out young shots? 

Ladies ? 

Help buy wild fowling leases ? 

provide insurance ?  

I could go on 

8 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

Basc do young shots, work with taste of game to promote game meat and even in schools. How many shooters do anything but maon and bitch about the organisations. Yes they print a magazine, have media centre, put days on for kids, ladies days, work with wildfowlers(or atleast try too) 

But yes they do cock all for the shooting community.. 

They have NO power when kt comes to things that our govt do, they can lobby and argue the toss but thats about as much power as they have. 

I work in education covering a large number of schools and have yet to see anything about / from BASC. Young shots = mainly kids of people who already shoot. 

Doing stuff for the shooting community does naff all to protect our sport. Where do they promote game meat? I'm yet to see anything in a mainstream publication or website.  

We have a Tory Govt full of keen shooters and this happens. Where are their political lobbyists? Where are their social media campaigns?  We are royally screwed if / when Corbyn and co gain power.

To be fair guys I've spoken to BASC numerous times today and they have been very helpful and are just as shocked as we are. They met 2 weeks ago with NE and no mention of this, they have been blindsided. It was common knowledge, but there was no hint of imminent revoking of the GL.

BASC AGM Minutes Jan 2018. Chairman Peter Glenser. "The association has never been so financially strong. Over the last 2 years we have recorded a surplus of over £1 million with this last year reaching £1.26 million. The balance sheet has never been so strong with assets of £9 million. This enables us to have a War Chest to protect our sport" makes you wonder where all this money is actually going - talk about being caught with your pants down, it's indefensible and unacceptable. 

1 minute ago, bruno22rf said:

BASC AGM Minutes Jan 2018. Chairman Peter Glenser. "The association has never been so financially strong. Over the last 2 years we have recorded a surplus of over £1 million with this last year reaching £1.26 million. The balance sheet has never been so strong with assets of £9 million. This enables us to have a War Chest to protect our sport" makes you wonder where all this money is actually going - talk about being caught with your pants down, it's indefensible and unacceptable. 

Exactly. My perception of the various organisations is of a group of old boys running a nice little shooting organisation. Run a few clay days for kids and ladies, write a polite letter rebuking the latest anti in a national rag etc etc. In reality we need people capable of planning and running successful national media campaigns and all that entails. 

We need to be using big data to target the benefits of game meat to people with no connection to shooting. We need to be promoting clay shooting to people totally in connected with it.

We need to be lobbying parliament constantly and networking in the halls of Westminster so we don't get blindsided by events such as this.

7 minutes ago, MarcMaxus said:

To be fair guys I've spoken to BASC numerous times today and they have been very helpful and are just as shocked as we are. They met 2 weeks ago with NE and no mention of this, they have been blindsided. It was common knowledge, but there was no hint of imminent revoking of the GL.

Exactly this, ive spoken with them, all orgs found out at the same time we did so aim you anger at NE. As that is who has done this.

I run young shots days with basc and have had complete novices, one lad who had never been on a shoot Before and got his first pheasant and duck. So I do see dirst hand what they do. If you don't engage with them then i guess you're jist spitting feathers at them because now the GL has been revoked by... Oh yes NE... not BASC, NGO, GWCT, CA... 

Can anyone explain how BASC or anyone else can get the government or one of their regulatory authorities to "give in" if they don't want to!........You can't beat the system, because they hold all the power! The best way is persuasion, if that fails you find a loophole and go to law!......this is what Wild Justice have done....these options are the only way to get the authorities to do what you want or change their minds.

I'm as ******off as anyone about this, but let's place responsibility where it should be.....with NE who have ****** us up, by ******* up!

As a active member of wildfowling clubs we have no escape from BASC coffers, and have found them of little help in sorting leases out with NE and landlords, but we still have to pay, the forgotten bread and butter of BASC for a big 1.8% .

BASC is now a business to a service for those that fund it.

All I have to say.

27 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

Thank god someone else is on my level... 

+1

8 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Can anyone explain how BASC or anyone else can get the government or one of their regulatory authorities to "give in" if they don't want to!........You can't beat the system, because they hold all the power! The best way is persuasion, if that fails you find a loophole and go to law!......this is what Wild Justice have done....these options are the only way to get the authorities to do what you want or change their minds.

I'm as ******off as anyone about this, but let's place responsibility where it should be.....with NE who have ****** us up, by ******* up!

+1

I had cause to consult them (renewals issues) in the last 12 months and received good advice quickly and easily.

22 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

Exactly this, ive spoken with them, all orgs found out at the same time we did so aim you anger at NE. As that is who has done this.

I run young shots days with basc and have had complete novices, one lad who had never been on a shoot Before and got his first pheasant and duck. So I do see dirst hand what they do. If you don't engage with them then i guess you're jist spitting feathers at them because now the GL has been revoked by... Oh yes NE... not BASC, NGO, GWCT, CA... 

And that is genuinely commendable but times have changed. We are facing a massive risk from a very media savvy man with huge TV exposure. We need to take the fight to the next level.

The average joe public probably has a slightly negative view of our sport meaning they will not stand in the way of future regulation or bans. We need to change the opinions of the masses and the organisations need to start thinking along those lines.

I suspect the organisation is a bit like a duck -calm on the surface but paddling like mad underneath.

They will be fully aware that today GL tomorrow game and then "NO JOB"

with the major broadcasters and press mainly peopled by left wing snowflakes and antis they are fighting an uphill battle getting heard, (you have only to look at pro bexit for an example),

At least they are more  visible than most of the other organisations.

Edited by Yellow Bear

6 minutes ago, Wasabi said:

And that is genuinely commendable but times have changed. We are facing a massive risk from a very media savvy man with huge TV exposure. We need to take the fight to the next level.

The average joe public probably has a slightly negative view of our sport meaning they will not stand in the way of future regulation or bans. We need to change the opinions of the masses and the organisations need to start thinking along those lines.

This is how I see it. I'm no fan of BASC as most know, but was a member for a long long time believing they were the way forward. If the above was implemented and they were much more proactive than they currently are then I would rejoin...maybe. I am totally confused as to just what exactly that 'media centre' is used for.

It staggers me that within two or three months of stating a proclaimed aim for a judicial review, Avery and Packham have done this, whereas we are still putting up with the farce that is the GP's report....after how many years?  

Saying all this, I am highly suspicious of the new NE gaffers' motives and alliances, given his background and considering that the Scot's equivalent regard the same law as adequate. 

It should have been our Countryside Organisations that should have been reviewing and making the case to Natural England long before now , that the current licenses were wide open to challlenge , not waiting for the challenge to come. 

Basically goverment lawyers had so little faith in the current licences standing up to scrutiny and legal challenge that they have been forced into pulling them.

Find out who the lawyers are working for Wild Justice and Packham and get better and get them on the payroll. 

We need one new modern organisation not BASC , Countryside Alliance , Game Keepers Assoc , WGCT all openly saying today they didn't see it coming ????

We even heard the rumours up here north of the border a few weeks ago , that the crowd funding was gathering pace and current licences wouldn't stand up. 

You couldn't make it up

BASC - Pie Chart......oh dear oh dear..... Interpret the heading on each section ....and think about what it really means.... oh dear, h dear.

2.6% -  on "business intelligence and research" .....now there is a misnomer if ever there was one.

The appointment of one Tony Juniper  as head of Natural E was announced some time ago - yet there does not appear to have been any real or significant opposition to this person  -- whose personal website proudly declares him as an "Eco Warrior", with multiple listings on his CV referencing, amongst others - The Guardian, University of Bristol, etc, etc....

Oh dear, oh dear.... if this is the best that an "organisation" which purports itself as the shooting man's voice and representation..... we are all f'd... 

20 minutes ago, Wasabi said:

For instance did anyone point out that the recent moorland fires might have been averted if, the traditional selective burning had taken place previously