Comb height - just checking

PPP

And before you start to hack the stock about or add shims, cut up a cereal packet in to strips and tape a couple on to the top of your stock.

try the gun and add another strip or two of card until you achieve the desired result.

Then you will know how much adjustment you need.

Good luck.

3 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

It goes further than that, you want the gun to shoot where you are looking!

...blue tack a drinking straw to the top of the rib. When you shoulder the gun you need to clearly see straight through the straw. Make the adjustments until you do.

1 hour ago, Eyefor said:

...blue tack a drinking straw to the top of the rib. When you shoulder the gun you need to clearly see straight through the straw. Make the adjustments until you do.

Ooh, worth a go 

11 hours ago, cardigun said:

Some semi auto shotguns come with a set of shims that go between the stock and action, to alter the comb height.  Any help ?

Some, but even then it’s still low in comb compared to other guns..

57 minutes ago, Eyefor said:

That wouldn't work for the 3 guns i own as if you  look flat along the rib then the shot hits low .

28 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

That wouldn't work for the 3 guns i own as if you  look flat along the rib then the shot hits low .

I’m guessing that’s because you aren’t looking directly parallel as with a straw. You would need to?

9 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

If i look parallel to the rib (along it ) and place the bead directly below the target  the shot hits significantly low . (Same as for most if not all shotguns ive shot with ) 

Same for me, that’s why I’ve had my wooden guns bent to compensate, can’t do that with SA

Have a comb adjuster fitted, about £200, [ up down side to side] I bought a SA with one and found all my other guns dont fit, advice from old books churchill etc is stand in front of a mirror and first mount your gun with your eyes closed, then look along barrel to see where your eye comes, keep repeating until you are have muscle memory and eye alignment.. plenty of stuff on-line

12 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

If i look parallel to the rib (along it ) and place the bead directly below the target  the shot hits significantly low . (Same as for most if not all shotguns ive shot with ) 

If you put the bead below the target then your aiming below the target. Where does your shot pattern if you put the bead on the target?

15 hours ago, Eyefor said:

This isn't a simple question and there isn't a simple answer.

If you mount a shotgun like a rifle such that you look flat and level along the rib then adjusting the comb will make no difference to the POI and the gun might become less comfortable to shoot. A flat mounted gun will shoot where the gun shoots and the POI might be flat or slightly high depending on the whether or not the rib slopes down toward the muzzle. Most serious clay shooters use sporters or trap guns where the stock geometry means your line of sight is above the rib and both beads are visible, making it quicker and easier to point the gun. In which case, changing the comb height will only affect POI if you aim the gun using the bead (which hopefully no one does in a live shooting environment).

1 hour ago, Chris Waring said:

If you put the bead below the target then your aiming below the target. Where does your shot pattern if you put the bead on the target?

To be fair i take the beads off my guns as they serve no purpose other than to distract .you away from your quarry /target. If you place a bead over the bird how do you see it .?? 

You might as well shoot with your hat pulled over your eyes. .

The bead (or muzzle )is just below the bird at all times so you can see it and judge the best time to take the shot .

2 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

Why would you place the bead below the target?

Do you actually shoot ? 

10 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

To be fair i take the beads off my guns as they serve no purpose other than to distract .you away from your quarry /target. If you place a bead over the bird how do you see it .?? 

The bead (or muzzle )is just below the bird at all times so you can see it and judge the best time to take the shot .

Do you actually shoot ? 

Talk me through shooting a straight driven bird and fast rising teal shot on the way up

3 hours ago, Chris Waring said:

Some one will correct if I'm wrong but you sit the target on the bead to see it. If you pattern a shot gun and place the bead on a dot 60-70% of the shot goes above the dot and the remainder below. Least thats what my lanber does. Problem I have is sitting the target on the bead, they dont hold still long enough 😂

2 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Do you actually shoot ? 

Quite well on moving stuff, and I can hit the middle of a pattern plate too ... !