Comb height - just checking

PPP

2 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

After you describe a dropping pigeon or a going away level clay .

Happily I do explain these things for a living what method will you be shooting? 

I’m interested how you hit both my selected targets with the gun underneath them no trick question we learn something new everyday, hoping my clients can benefit ifit 

Edited by welshwarrior

Ok so dropping pigeon mount the gun the required lead in front (maintained lead) firing ensure the swing continues at a constant speed. 

Level going away clay.  Starting gun up with barrels at the gun hold. As the clay passes the barrels swing through the clay with the visual focus on the rear edge of the clay firing at the lower rear part of the clay. Maintaining the guns movement through out. Depending how flat the clay this can feel like your firing underneath the clay. 

Your turn. 

Ok so when i shoot the rising teal or driven bird. I aquire the target with the bead (if i had one ) well below the bird i raise the muzzle till the bead is just below the bird and maintain that position (ie i can see it through all its flight so i can predict its path and judge to optimal time to fire )just before i fire i push through infront of the bird and pull the trigger. And if ive done my job ive predicted distance. Speed , angle  and the pushed lead correctly and i kill the bird. .

Basically the bird is out of sight for only a split second. 

All other (non rising ) shots and i can see the bird fully at all times. 

When i shoot with my red dot on my mossy (its off at the mo but might go back on yet ) i can see the bird 100 % of the time in every shot. 

Hope this helps you .

I didnt say pause .

When is there a pause in a swinging gun ? 

I guess spending all day just shooting easy clays that fly in a straight line and appear when you ask them to makes shooting techniques sloppy .

But hey ho you keep practicing for the real thing  on clays .

Just now, welshwarrior said:

So not below the bird at all times like you stated.  

I think I’ll pass with your swing pause push technique relying on proven techniques. 

And your tecnique like wise isnt always bead on the bird. 

Touche 

Edited by Ultrastu

When I shoot bolting ( clay ) bunnies I simply swing through the target and fire. When I'm shooting the real thing ( which are slower than clays ) in a wood where there are many obstacles,  I track the bunny, placing that muzzle just below its front legs and then pull through and over it tumbles as I fire. That sounds like there's a pause, but there isn't. On open ground ( like walking alongside a harvester ) I just swing through as with the clay variety. Most targets I shoot at, I feel are blotted out at the point of firing because I've actually swung through them. Driven birds are the ultimate example of blotting out; it always comes as a hugely satisfying surprise to me to discover that bird I couldn't see on point of firing has in fact been killed and is tumbling earthwards. 🙂

The only time you feel a pause in my experience is when that Teal for example, has reached the pinnacle of its ascent and you shoot it at that exact point before it starts to fall. It may feel like a pause, whether it actually is or not I have no idea. 

12 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

I didnt say pause .

When is there a pause in a swinging gun ? 

I guess spending all day just shooting easy clays that fly in a straight line and appear when you ask them to makes shooting techniques sloppy .

But hey ho you keep practicing for the real thing  on clays .

And your tecnique like wise isnt always bead on the bird. 

Touche 

Never said I always had the bead on the bird 

I don’t tend to shoot clays often I teach people of all levels to shot on clays be they clay or game shots.  

Your technique had a pause behind the bird.  Good luck to you with your shooting and red dots Etc. 

5 minutes ago, Scully said:

I track the bunny, placing that muzzle just below its front legs and then pull through and over it tumbles as I fire. That sounds like there's a pause, but there isn't. 

No pause there it’s pull away or CPSA method  

Edited by welshwarrior