hi all i recieved a phone call re the ne  carry on and in that call i was reminded of a policeman  who stopped a bunch of italians from using a mechanical aid to shoot geese in scotland namely a tape recorder and speaker    now clearley a magnet is a machanical aid        so could some person passing a field and seeing the magnet working   phone the police and could   we be prosucuted i have explosive liecence   a personal    shotgun and   firearms   cert    i am a rfd in durham    and a factory and stock and machines    worth a great deal of money     dare i go out when this carry on is sorted   and put a magnet out and working    thanks   george

5. WILDFOWLING AND THE LAW

Prohibited Methods

• A number of methods of killing or taking wild birds are prohibited. These include gin, spring, leg and pole traps, snares, nets, electrical scaring devices, poisonous substances, bows or crossbows, explosives (other than firearm ammunition), artificial light, mirror or dazzling devices, devices for illuminating a target or sighting device for night shooting, automatic or semi-automatic weapon (unless it is incapable of holding more than 2 rounds in the magazine) and shotguns with an internal diameter at muzzle more than 1¾ inches.
  • The use of sound recordings, and decoys of live birds tethered, blinded or maimed is illegal. It is also an offence to cause or permit such methods to be used.
  • It is an offence to use any mechanically-propelled vehicle – including boats – in immediate pursuit of a wild bird to kill or take it.

2 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

George as from 23:59 tonight the General Licences, No 04, 05 and 06 are revoked and await amendment.

You can shoot today!

yes but can i get done for using a magnet its a  simple question     maybe some reader on here has been pulled for using a one    so yes we get new  licences sorted out and away we go then  this subject comes up    where do we stand

5 minutes ago, andrewluke said:

5. WILDFOWLING AND THE LAW

Prohibited Methods

• A number of methods of killing or taking wild birds are prohibited. These include gin, spring, leg and pole traps, snares, nets, electrical scaring devices, poisonous substances, bows or crossbows, explosives (other than firearm ammunition), artificial light, mirror or dazzling devices, devices for illuminating a target or sighting device for night shooting, automatic or semi-automatic weapon (unless it is incapable of holding more than 2 rounds in the magazine) and shotguns with an internal diameter at muzzle more than 1¾ inches.
  • The use of sound recordings, and decoys of live birds tethered, blinded or maimed is illegal. It is also an offence to cause or permit such methods to be used.
  • It is an offence to use any mechanically-propelled vehicle – including boats – in immediate pursuit of a wild bird to kill or take it.

thanks for that andrew     but your title says wildfowl   whats the score with magnets and pigeons     is a mechanically propelled vehicle    a magnet    i might just write to  chief constable of durham in this lull time when we cannot shoot      cheers   george

15 hours ago, propercartridges said:

thanks for that andrew     but your title says wildfowl   whats the score with magnets and pigeons     is a mechanically propelled vehicle    a magnet    i might just write to  chief constable of durham in this lull time when we cannot shoot      cheers   george

George, just do some deliveries in scotland  and shoot at your customers perms

9 hours ago, AULD YIN said:

George, just do some deliveries in scotland  and shoot at your customers perms

yes old fruit do u want carts at the moment trying to get up soon not bothered aboot shooting    birds are nesting    must be getting to soft in my old 68 years i have had my share if i kept records knee body wood believe me   when up at forfar i wood not set up for less than 200 can even remember when getting 1 pound each for pigeons     happy  days john and no magnets then pure field craft      c u soon   jimmmy          cheers   george

3 hours ago, oowee said:

I want the old days back when we just go out and shoot. 

no pigeon shooting  now is roll up stick a magnet out and shoot    for most of them anyway     cheers   g

On 26/04/2019 at 10:58, propercartridges said:

yes old fruit do u want carts at the moment trying to get up soon not bothered aboot shooting    birds are nesting    must be getting to soft in my old 68 years i have had my share if i kept records knee body wood believe me   when up at forfar i wood not set up for less than 200 can even remember when getting 1 pound each for pigeons     happy  days john and no magnets then pure field craft      c u soon   jimmmy          cheers   george

no pigeon shooting  now is roll up stick a magnet out and shoot    for most of them anyway     cheers   g

its not as easy as that    not for me any way

i raised this same question in another thread but got no reply,in the wording of section 5 (e) no mechanical aids in my opinion whirlys and flappers are mechanical aids your quite right to raise this important point.a legal point of view to this question would be helpful 

11 minutes ago, rheth said:

i raised this same question in another thread but got no reply,in the wording of section 5 (e) no mechanical aids in my opinion whirlys and flappers are mechanical aids your quite right to raise this important point.a legal point of view to this question would be helpful 

Ring BASC for guidance!

2 hours ago, rheth said:

Oh come on, please read the text properly, and the replies above which answer it. It is very clear, it says:

"(e)uses any mechanically propelled vehicle in immediate pursuit of a wild bird for the purpose of killing or taking that bird"

So unless you are planning to physically insert yourself onto a magnet or a flapper, with it turned on, and then use it as a pogo stick to chase wild birds for the purpose of killing or taking that bird. There is not an issue.

It does not talk about "mechanical aids". It is referring to mechanical vehicles used to chase birds, and shoot them from said vehicle, which is prohibited. And I am sure wildfowlers on here will confirm this was primarily aimed at boats/punts. But they did a catchall to cover land based situations as well.