Wrist Fusion

rimfire4969

After some breaks etc I have got fairly bad arthritis in my right wrist. Had the x-rays and now had a MRI. I am always in pain with it and its only going to get wrose. The Specailist is talking a full or partial wrist fusion. This will obviously limit my wrist movement, on a rifle no big problem as I would normally have plenty of time to adjust before shooting. But a shotgun I am thinking it will have to be a custom stock with a full pistol grip or change to a different gun wth the same not my favorite grip but my wrist won't move down so little choice.

Anyone had the surgery, it does not look very pleasant, i know I will miss a fair bit of shooting so will have to time it well.

I broke my scaphoid twice, the most recent being 12 years ago. Being young, stupid and wanting to keep competing I decided the best course was to tubigrip it and take nurofen and after 12 weeks it was healed ish. I'd didn't hurt too much, I had full grip strength and 85% flexion. Back in March I landed on it and knew its was bad news. An xray the next day showed my DIY fix had left me with two scaphoid bones instead of one which were held together with scar tissue, bone callus and arthritis. I had opted for surgery to remove a couple of the bones and stick some scaffolding into it. But if that didn't work it would  be a wrist replacement or a wrist fusion both of which would really be quite unpleasant. I've decided to have steroid injections and hope they numb the pain and slow the arthritic changes for a while and consider surgery in the future. I've got a high pain threshold and I've spent years coping and if I can get the pain levels down to pre March levels I can cope with that. Moral of the story dont rise horses for a living.

I suffered arthritis in my wrist and was told the problem was at the base of my thumb - the trapezoid bone I think it was called. I was offered the choice of an artificial joint or removal of the joint and immobilised in plaster for about eight weeks while the scar tissue heals and holds everything together. I choose against the replacement joint and have had no problems since (about 10 years) and have not really experienced any less mobility. I was told to expect a weaker grip but not noticed any difference as my grip was probably weakened with the arthritis. No problems with a normal O/U shotgun grip.

Good luck, however you play it.

I was told the artificial joint was not worth it. Their reason was that if a old dear who does not do much had it great it could last 10 years but someone of my age (49) with fairly physical jobs I would be lucky for it to last 2 or 3 years. 

With a full fusion there will be no movement in my wrist at all, so shooting a pistol would be fine but a straight hand stock I could not hold and get to the trigger as well.

I was told to hold out as long as possible for any form of replacement or repair surgery as medical advances at this moment are coming along quicker than ever, things that were done 2 years ago are now well out of date. 

Another lad in the office was advised the same. 

Edited by ph5172

Hello rimfire i have kybotz disease in my right wrist and had surgery. To shorten my arm bones for many years i have had pain i overcome this with thumbhole stocks on rifles air rifles and on my shotgun i have a prince of wales stock and is a lot more comfier for me i dont have to maneouver my wrist as much hope this helps

1 hour ago, blankfirer said:

Hello rimfire i have kybotz disease in my right wrist and had surgery. To shorten my arm bones for many years i have had pain i overcome this with thumbhole stocks on rifles air rifles and on my shotgun i have a prince of wales stock and is a lot more comfier for me i dont have to maneouver my wrist as much hope this helps

Very useful thank you. 

On 25/04/2019 at 10:24, rimfire4969 said:

After some breaks etc I have got fairly bad arthritis in my right wrist. Had the x-rays and now had a MRI. I am always in pain with it and its only going to get wrose. The Specailist is talking a full or partial wrist fusion. This will obviously limit my wrist movement, on a rifle no big problem as I would normally have plenty of time to adjust before shooting. But a shotgun I am thinking it will have to be a custom stock with a full pistol grip or change to a different gun wth the same not my favorite grip but my wrist won't move down so little choice.

Anyone had the surgery, it does not look very pleasant, i know I will miss a fair bit of shooting so will have to time it well.

I am in the same position with the ulnar bones contacting the radius bones.  The surgeon said that prognosis following any surgery is not good so I have elected to manage the pain and do physio.  Some weeks are better than others and honestly, if you can manage, don't go down the route of surgical intervention.  Unlike a hip or knee replacement, there seems nothing positive about having your wrist fused.

Edited by Savhmr

57 minutes ago, Savhmr said:

I am in the same position with the ulnar bones contacting the radius bones.  The surgeon said that prognosis following any surgery is not good so I have elected to manage the pain and do physio.  Some weeks are better than others and honestly, if you can manage, don't go down the route of surgical intervention.  Unlike a hip or knee replacement, there seems nothing positive about having your wrist fused.

This is exactly the way i have decided to play it until the pain becomes much worse. I am yet to find many positives with a wrist fusion apart from some relief from the pain. 

If you can, avoid tramadol...it's horrid stuff with nasty side effects and won't do your stomach much good in the long run.  I manage my (various) pains with dihydrocodiene, paracetamol and low dose Amitriptyline.  When the wrist gets really painful, as it has done with heavy manual work this past week, I use compression self cohesive medical stretchy tape to reduce inflammation and improve circulation.  It helps a lot and provides some support.  You can buy fingerless compression gloves (sold as anti-arthritis gloves costing from a fiver a pair)  which I really rate too.  They take the edge off the pain. 

Best thing is to carry on using the wrist and do strengthening exercises as advised by your physio.  I made the mistake of agreeing to a plastic cast for my wrists which I was told would isolate movement and help healing.  It just resulted in muscle atrophy and set me back a few months.  I can still shoot and ride a motorbike but have lost a lot of strength and range of movement in the wrists (back, arms etc etc LoL) but at least I keep going.  If you make that the aim and are realistic about your  limitations you'll manage ok but you will have to adapt.

Edited by Savhmr