BASC advice on Section Four of the Wildlife and Countryside Act

Apr 25, 2019

BASC has been asked if it is possible to manage pest species under Section Four of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 when Natural England (NE) withdraws the general licences at one minute to midnight tonight (THURSDAY).

BASC took urgent legal advice which is published here: https://basc.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/section-four-guidance.pdf 

In summary, the advice is that anyone claiming to act under Section Four is at legal risk and BASC’s guidance is that those controlling pests should apply for an individual licence from NE.

We will be linking to guidance on how to do this later today when NE makes the information available.

20 minutes ago, Debbie BASC said:

Apr 25, 2019

BASC has been asked if it is possible to manage pest species under Section Four of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 when Natural England (NE) withdraws the general licences at one minute to midnight tonight (THURSDAY).

BASC took urgent legal advice which is published here: https://basc.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/section-four-guidance.pdf 

In summary, the advice is that anyone claiming to act under Section Four is at legal risk and BASC’s guidance is that those controlling pests should apply for an individual licence from NE.

We will be linking to guidance on how to do this later today when NE makes the information available.

Hi Debbie,

These forms, will they need filling out for each farm you shoot at, or will one cover all?

3 minutes ago, snow white said:

Is this covering wales as well on Monday I read that wales is not effected by this ban can someone please clarify as I cannot get through to Basc.       Thank you for looking 

No it doesn't cover wales yet.

4 minutes ago, Blackbriar said:

That link refers to "protected species". Will it cover the GL species ?

All birds are protected and with the demise of the GL there will no longer be what you describe as GL species.

4 minutes ago, TR1 said:

The NE CWM portal does not seem to be active for applying for new licences , it just hangs , so that will be useful later.

You need to register and once your registration has been accepted, you will be able to apply for a license.

4 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

I can't get to register.. Got to the CWM page and its blank with just username and password boxfor sign in.. This is a bloody nightmare. My shotgun listed as flock control and bird control is useless right now. 

Click on the tab that says customer registration.

14 minutes ago, CharlieT said:

Click on the tab that says customer registration.

Wasnt there.. Refreshed the page 5 times and bingo. Registered but no confirmation email yet.... And then 5 days until its done, then confirm i am a real person, then they'll let me apply. So thats possibly a month or more before anything happens 

1 minute ago, ShootingEgg said:

Wasnt there.. Refreshed the page 5 times and bingo. Registered but no confirmation email yet.... And then 5 days until its done, then confirm i am a real person, then they'll let me apply. So thats possibly a month or more before anything happens 

And as so many people will be registering I strongly suspect 5 days will turn in 55.

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE
Capitalisation!

1 minute ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

And as so many people will be registering I strongly suspect 5 days will turn in 55.

I do not doubt that at all. I spoke to one veg grower yest, he is at a loss as what he can do, i sit in the growing field, there are static scare crows, timed inflatable ones and the pigeons just ignore them when the spring up.  He will have yo run round like a loon to scare them off

8 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

I do not doubt that at all. I spoke to one veg grower yest, he is at a loss as what he can do, i sit in the growing field, there are static scare crows, timed inflatable ones and the pigeons just ignore them when the spring up.  He will have yo run round like a loon to scare them off

Well let's hope it all gets sorted out quickly, there is meant to be further guidance released later today and new General Licences by the 29th of this month.

33 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, just done my registration, got a reference number, it now states i will be posted a form to fill in by 5 working days, anyone know on this form  

Thats what we all get. Not even got an email confirming the form has been accepted.. Its a complete cock up and a mess