Changes To The General Licence

11 minutes ago, MarcMaxus said:

I have a duty to protect crops tomorrow. I'm not going to burden the farmer with this debacle. He has crops, they need protecting. I'll be there tomorrow at 5am and I'll do a service. I have a case of airsoft flashbang grenades that will do the job for now. 

I trust this will blow over in time, I'm not letting my farmers down, especially this time of year. I'll dress as a bloody scarecrow and run around the bloody feild naked if I have to. I'm privileged to have permission, regardless, I have a duty of care to provide protection of crop, in line with the law. Until this all blows over

As above Post by oowee , But i will say fair play to you and this goes to show what real shooters are all about, if a job is worth doing its worth doing right is the old saying, And you are doing the right thing.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had it not been for my shooting mate texting me and seeing this thread on PW, I wouldn’t  have known anything about it. I don’t do faceache are tweet tweet. But have been a member of BASC for longer than I can remember. They send me emails about all sorts of uninteresting and irrelevant things, yet nothing from them on this. Surely, the least they could have done was to send an automated email to their members to advise them of the situation. 

My BASC renewal is on the kitchen table. I shall be looking at all options before renewing.

7 minutes ago, turbo33 said:

Had it not been for my shooting mate texting me and seeing this thread on PW, I wouldn’t  have known anything about it. I don’t do faceache are tweet tweet. But have been a member of BASC for longer than I can remember. They send me emails about all sorts of uninteresting and irrelevant things, yet nothing from them on this. Surely, the least they could have done was to send an automated email to their members to advise them of the situation. 

My BASC renewal is on the kitchen table. I shall be looking at all options before renewing.

Totally agree, we get loads of emails from BASC, but when something as important as this lands on us we get nothing!!! Very disappointing. 

7 minutes ago, turbo33 said:

Does seem a bit strange that probably the most important thing to happen to the shooting community in years and they haven't bothered to let anyone know about it! 

11 minutes ago, Cranfield said:

Your persistent support for the BASC does you some sort of credit, but there are many of us who have seen this sort of situation developing for some time, there has never been anything but smug complacency from the BASC.
We should be getting almost hourly bulletins from them as to what they are doing, their silence speaks loudly.
I also would suggest that Packham & Co do not read this Forum.

Seen lots of changes since the mid 60s when i started as a child going wildfowling with my Grandad WAGBI was always there and when it changed TO BASC it continued to be there. BASC have helped me every time i have needed help, they have helped with consents advice  Land leases land purchasing and funding advice for our club and this  advice i have never found lacking.   I know they have had some internal issues and i know some have a very different opinion to me. I respect others opinions, And if they want to have a dig at BASC  that’s their prerogative, but this thread is important its vital we stay calm wait for BASC and any other orgs involved to do their jobs.

Tearing BASC apart benefits no one. 

Now please lets try and stick together just this one time, we might suprise our selves how well we can do behind BASC.

24 minutes ago, turbo33 said:

I'm a member of GWCT had email from them at 9am this morning about this.

12 hours ago, turbo33 said:

11 hours ago, watto69 said:

Totally agree, we get loads of emails from BASC, but when something as important as this lands on us we get nothing!!! Very disappointing. 

11 hours ago, bluesj said:

Does seem a bit strange that probably the most important thing to happen to the shooting community in years and they haven't bothered to let anyone know about it! 

untitled-header-5.jpg

BASC Head Office, Marford Mill, Rossett, Wrexham, LL12 0HL
Contact 

---

Important news on general licences

Natural England announces temporary revocation

BASC is advising members that Natural England (NE) is temporarily revoking three general licences in England for controlling certain wild birds from Thursday this week.

These licences (GL 04/05/06) cover 16 species of birds including several members of the crow family, Canada goose and some gulls and pigeons. There is uncertainty as to when the temporary revocation will end.

During that time, anyone needing to control one of these 16 bird species where there is no reasonable non-lethal alternative will need to apply for an individual licence. Natural England says it has simplified the process for applying for such a licence and details will be available on its gov.uk website on Thursday.

NE says this action is the first stage of a planned review of general and class licences, which will be completed this year. The change follows a legal challenge to the way the licences have been issued, which could mean users who rely on them are not acting lawfully.

BASC is disappointed that the shooting community has been given no notice of this change to the general licences. The situation is rapidly changing and we will update members as new information becomes available. Our website will provide the latest information.

---

© 2019 BASC - British Association for Shooting and Conservation
Registered Office: Marford Mill, Rossett, Wrexham, LL12 0HL
Registered Society No: 28488R

This turned up in my mailbox at 01.41 this morning.  I am not for one minute defending the BASC, They should have been on the case when Packhams shower first muted this challenge, but I did get the above email from them, I obviously have no clue why other members apparently haven't

Edited by Dekers

6 hours ago, old'un said:

Taken from the Wild Justice website….

“Millions of birds are killed each year under the terms of the General Licences”

Has anyone seen the evidence to back these claims up, I certainly haven’t, I have asked them to produce the evidence for these claims.

I would imagine the number could well be in the millions.

I received an email from BASC headed 'Important News on General Licences'  at 20.31 yesterday advising of the situation. Assuming that they only knew of NE's action yesterday, then I think in passing this on, they have at least communicated to members with the information that they had at the time. 

It would appear that it's NE's knee jerk reaction in revoking the GL immediately without thinking it through properly is the problem, as even the so called 'Wild Justice' were not expecting such a quick response after their court room success in proving the illegality of the GL.  Regardless of one's views on Wild Justice, which in my view is clearly not about conservation but an agenda to curb or eventually stop shooting and should be rigorously fought, it is the total incompetence of NE that has caused this hopefully temporary blip.

If, as has been reported, that it was the first day in his new post as chairperson of NE for Tony Juniper, (as indicated in Michael Gove's tweet) then it should be him who should be immediately sacked for causing this temporary debacle. Being his first decision in his new post, beggars belief.

OB

20 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

it is the total incompetence of NE that has caused this hopefully temporary blip.

If, as has been reported, that it was the first day in his new post as chairperson of NE for Tony Juniper, (as indicated in Michael Gove's tweet) then it should be him who should be immediately sacked for causing this temporary debacle. Being his first decision in his new post, beggars belief.

OB

Agreed!

Just found and copied this from FB: 

... I just got this from a farmer mate, not sure if it's legit.....
Anyone who’s wondering about the General licenses, Just got off the phone from my mate who’s a main part of natural england licensing and adviser for them he comes shooting with me fairly 
regular, 
it was basically a loophole Packham & Mark Aviary found and Natural England’s Law team just said there’s no point in fighting it as there’s nothing they can do to go against it as it’s a clear flaw in the license.
**Natural England did not want to have to revoke the 3 main licenses in any way what so ever. It was a Lawsuit from Packham & Aviary, if N.E had challenged against it there would have been zero chance of winning it** 
So everyone filing complaints to Natural England your not helping in the slightest- they are on our side and are working flat out to bring out new licenses to get us all back up and running soon as possible! As much as this will **** off Packham & Aviary 😂
They’ve been in the process of sorting out a whole new number of general licenses for the last few weeks as they saw this coming and have scrapped about 5 previous draft ones where there’s flaws still. 
Obviously Natural England don’t want 50,000 odd people each year wanting to apply for individual licenses to shoot or trap as it would be impossible to do all the paperwork.
Natural england in 2014 wanted to amend the general licenses to get rid of this loophole about having to prove you’ve tried all other non lethal options first and just to update them but nobody from our shooting organisations wanted to know about it or wanted any changes, so now these flaws in the licenses have been exposed and this has happened. 
Within the next few weeks hopefully will be some updated licenses being released to replace the 3 revoked ones but there will be quite a few more different general licenses for the 16 members of birds so not just 3 main ones that cover everything. Soon as I hear anymore will let you know.