Changes To The General Licence

I am making a complaint, and would encourage everyone else to do the same, to the BBC about their completely biased reporting on this. On their website there has been absolutely no coverage of this issue at all, until it posted a pro packham article about the crows on his gate. It just shows that they really don't care about reporting countryside issues impartially.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Miserableolgit said:

Look, how do you know it was someone involved in the shooting community, it could have been done for all kinds of reasons by all kinds of people perhaps with interests in all kinds of groups. Perhaps the property has CCTV coverage? Perhaps it was done by a supporter of WJ in order to reflect badly on the shooting community, who knows!

That was my thought as well

2 minutes ago, Miserableolgit said:

Look, how do you know it was someone involved in the shooting community, it could have been done for all kinds of reasons by all kinds of people perhaps with interests in all kinds of groups. Perhaps the property has CCTV coverage? Perhaps it was done by a supporter of WJ in order to reflect badly on the shooting community, who knows!

It really doesn't matter who did it, we, the Shooting Community will be blamed and it was a completely stupid thing to do if it was a shooter!

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE
Syntax

1 minute ago, Miserableolgit said:

Yes I'm sure the general public will fall over themselves to give shooters the same benefit of the doubt given their love for fieldsports.

1 minute ago, SurreySquireler said:

I am making a complaint, and would encourage everyone else to do the same, to the BBC about their completely biased reporting on this. On their website there has been absolutely no coverage of this issue at all, until it posted a pro packham article about the crows on his gate. It just shows that they really don't care about reporting countryside issues impartially.

Well the Jeremy Vine show on radio 2 had a fair segment about the changes and he presented a balanced view!

2 minutes ago, Zapp said:

Yes I'm sure the general public will fall over themselves to give shooters the same benefit of the doubt given their love for fieldsports.

Some will, some won't. Like I say I would think any outspoken pseudo celebrity would have security measures in place on their property including CCTV.

6 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Well the Jeremy Vine show on radio 2 had a fair segment about the changes and he presented a balanced view!

Ok sorry tightcoke I am more referring to their website, which as of 1400 had no articles about the removal of the licences, and now has an article about the crows on the gate (which I agree is completely counter productive) but that mentions the licences as a kind of footnote.

27 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Thank you - interesting; judging by the comments (which are dated) that one was 4 years ago.  I do seem to remember a previous one where he had a similar call to sack - followed by a 'remain' on - but can't now remember what it was all about.

Perhaps the one you refer to concerned his "nasty brigade" comments and was back in 2016..

BBC Trust investigates Chris Packham over 'nasty brigade' comments

I am concerned about the apparent alliances formed between NE, RSPB, WJ and the Environment Secretary. Whilst the recent events appear to be a hiccup, the relentless onslaught of Avery and Packham will continue unless the apparent alliances between the RSPB and NE are undone.

You can find out who your local MP is here: https://www.theyworkforyou.com/

This is a copy of the letter I recently sent to my MP, I feel it is important that the matter is at least discussed in Parliament; there appear to be some unholy alliances forming that will, ultimately, affect all our lives.

Dear [your MP]

I wrote to you recently regarding the recent and sudden cessation in the General Licences. Whilst I appreciate that you are no doubt busy with many local and national issues I would like to bring your attention a matter which is troubling many of us in the farming and shooting communities. This is the apparent, perhaps unhealthy alliances and agendas among many of the protagonists of the organisation known as 'Wild Justice', the RSPB, the acting chief executive of Natural England Marian Spain and most recently, the appointment of Tony Juniper to the role of chairman for Natural England.

Indeed, many of my shooting and farming colleagues and associates are not ordinarily predisposed to 'conspiracy theories' however, it does appear that there are some less than transparent moves afoot to undermine the lawful activities that have been carried out, unhindered, for several decades and are of a proven benefit to the environment and the animals that are already on the endangered list. It appears from the outside that this could, perhaps, be simply to satisfy personal anti-shooting, anti-hunting agendas.

We would be grateful if you could raise the issue in Parliament with your colleague the Rt. Hon. Michael Gove,
Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs of the United Kingdom, especially as he was so effusive when the appointment of Tony Juniper was announced.

If you wish to find out more about the relationships between the key individuals then you could do no better than to review the article researched by one of shootings proponents in the media written here, I have no reason to doubt the authenticity of it:

It is important that all members of bodies that make decisions that affect the lives, businesses and pastimes of those that live in rural England are both transparent and more importantly, neutral. I am sure you will agree with that at the very least.

Yours sincerely,

[insert name]

Edited by mick miller

Just posted this to BBC Online Complaints: -

The revokation of the general Licences by Natural England and affecting 800,000 people is one of the biggest countryside stories in 2019, yet until some unknown person or persons stuck some dead crows on Chris Packhams gate, the BBC did not have any reference or articles to this huge story on theoir website and as of writing this complaint, still do not.

How can a story affecting 800,000 people, farmers, food supplies, animal welfare, disease and non-native species not have its own considered article, especially when it involves Natural England a government body being seen to be unprofessional and acting rashly.

This appears to be bias of the BBC and in contradiction to your own website statements on unbiased and fair reporting.

1 hour ago, psycho said:

From 7pm tonight (Thursday 25th) Natural England will go live with an online application portal on their .gov website for folk to apply for the interim Individual Licences.
This will be based on a number of urgent prioritised licence needs e.g. corvid trapping in ladder and larsen traps (we know that many have been concerned about continuing to keep call birds), pigeon and corvid shooting to protect crops etc.

15 minutes ago, tomaddy525 said:

Has anyone managed to find the promised licences on gov.uk at 5pm? 

If the new licence is anything like the one for cormorants the pigeons will have moved to another field by the time I’ve filled it in….https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/711971/A06-cormorant-and-fisheries-licence-application.pdf

On 23/04/2019 at 23:07, Jelly said:

Interesting from the chairman of Natural England:

He seems rather anti the legal challenge by Packham

Well spotted. The most encouraging thing to emerge so far from this deeply regrettable mess caused by that little pirck Packham (and his backers - to threaten a judicial review means that he or they must have £100,000 available for a High court action). 

I just hope that in any new GL system the need to protect garden birds from their avian predators will not be overlooked, though I realise that the interests of farmers will understandably come first. 

33 minutes ago, Stonepark said:

Just posted this to BBC Online Complaints: -

The revokation of the general Licences by Natural England and affecting 800,000 people is one of the biggest countryside stories in 2019, yet until some unknown person or persons stuck some dead crows on Chris Packhams gate, the BBC did not have any reference or articles to this huge story on theoir website and as of writing this complaint, still do not.

How can a story affecting 800,000 people, farmers, food supplies, animal welfare, disease and non-native species not have its own considered article, especially when it involves Natural England a government body being seen to be unprofessional and acting rashly.

This appears to be bias of the BBC and in contradiction to your own website statements on unbiased and fair reporting.

This is very much what I put in their complaints form as well! The fact that they didn't include the BASC response to his tweet, and that they seemed to suggest the person posting Packham's address (although it wasn't very sensible) was encouraging illegality, whereas in fact he was asking people to send letters to Packham seems pretty one sided

1 hour ago, ShootingEgg said:

But who says it was anyone in the shooting community, unfortunately it has a massive finger pointed towards our commun, but who says some one else did this to put us in a bad light, who says it wasn't infact packham himself.. No cctv, no way of ever knowing who was responsible.. 

Pleased someone has pointed out the obvious possibilities!!!! Activists will stop at nothing to sway public opinion........