Pan fried Pigeon with leeks and mini-roasties

JONO

I did this on Sunday evening...I'm a believer in the "simple is best approach" - it also allows you to fry the meat without it going tough.

You'll need:

Minimum of 2 cleaned and depelleted pigeon breasts per portion (three ideal).

Good quality smoked streaky bacon ( I recommend wiltshire or dry cure)

Thyme (dried or fresh)

Pepper

Red wine (200ml)

Redcurrant jelly/Cranberry jelly

1 **** of Butter

1 teaspoon of Worcester sauce/balsamic vinegar

Take your steaky rashers and, with the back of a kitchen knife scrape the rasher gently but firmly to flatten and stretch it out.

Take your pigeon breasts (including the little "scrap" which accompanies it) - sprinkle each with thyme, one or two turns of freshly ground pepper and wrap well in the stretched streaky bacon (should be able to do it in one rasher but 2 may be needed).

Quarter your spuds in their skins par boil them spuds until tender but not too soft, drain and put in a pyrex with some seasoned cooking oil, brush allround and put into the oven at 180 degrees for an hour (they'll need turning and brushing at least twice - 20 minutes and 40 minutes in).

Get a griddle (a frying pan would work but not quite as well) hot and place the pigeon parcels so they get an even heat.

Whilst the breasts are cooking slice your leeks add boiling water and simmer them with about 7 minutes to go. you want these firm but cooked so don't over cook them

Cook gradually for about 15 minutes, turning occasionally on all sides under slightly pink in the middle (medium). Take the breast off the heat and leave to rest for 3-5 minutes

Take the red wine and quicky reduce it until the alcohol cooks off - add a large tablespoon of the redcurrant jelly or equivalent and whisk it in. Add a teaspoon of worcestershire/balsamic and season with salt and pepper then add both any meat juices from the griddle and a generous **** of butter to enrich and cream up the gravy (NB - If this sounds too poncey Bisto is also tasty but loads quicker).

Build up a "stack" of leeks on each plate, surround with your nice golden mini roasties and slice up the pigeon breasts on the diagonal showing off the pink centre, placing on the bed of leeks.

Drizzle the sauce over the dish and serve with a nice glass of red.

This is a good recipe for anyone who says they generally "don't like game", anyone who likes their steak and wants something new, or for a cheap "dinner party" where you want to serve up something decent without breaking the bank (look at the ingredients to see how cheap this is).

Jono

This sounds tempting. Iam printing it off as I write. I need plenty of inspiration when it comes to cooking. I attended the boy scouts school of cullinary art, the only thing that I can remember is:

When its brown its done

When its black its ********!

webber

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...