4x4 pay and play - insurance?

WinchesterDave

Hello all, 

Trying to organise a day off-roading at a pay and play site with my dad in his Disco in the coming weeks. 

He's with NFU, who have told him they don’t do single day cover and apparently off road driving is specifically stated as not being covered on his current policy. 

Has as anyone any experience or advice? 

Thanks in advance, 

Dave 

Edited by WinchesterDave

Also depends where you go, i use to go one with a green and red route obviously with the green i could do in a micra but the red was a bit tough on the disco. Still made a full day and the only thing i had to do was to change steering bar.

Prep the vehicle to protect is better than replace parts at the site. When i snapped that i got all guards for underneath and never had a problem apart from washing the inside 

Make sure you have good tyres and a strap/ shackles just in case. If you're unsure follow someone who know never alone. Take it easy and occasionally you may need to use your right foot but otherwise enjoy the day that's what its about 👍

Where about are you doing your pay and play? I have been to 3 different places and each one is different terrain, i found prevention is the best way to enjoy it more. Taken a standard 300tdi disco and kept getting stuck in a real muddy course, the week after cleaning the jeep going to an olf quarry and it was fun climbing hills and a bit of mud. Spent 600 quid, bigger tyres and box section lift and a snorkel and demolished all the mud i went through. And like jay says never go alone. Have fun and if you need help dont be afraid to ask were not all bad guys

8 minutes ago, Davetyler said:

Where about are you doing your pay and play? I have been to 3 different places and each one is different terrain, i found prevention is the best way to enjoy it more. Taken a standard 300tdi disco and kept getting stuck in a real muddy course, the week after cleaning the jeep going to an olf quarry and it was fun climbing hills and a bit of mud. Spent 600 quid, bigger tyres and box section lift and a snorkel and demolished all the mud i went through. And like jay says never go alone. Have fun and if you need help dont be afraid to ask were not all bad guys

Parkwood 4x4 is the plan.

It’s the first time we will have done anything like it and his Discovery is 2 1/2 years old so it is more of a - let’s do the smaller/less extreme sections - bit of a taster..

It is really just to have a go if that makes sense. We’ve done a few LR experiences and  enjoyed them so figured it could be fun in our own. 

But, with it being his daily car, and relatively new, he is wanting the insurance etc to be correct if anything were to get damaged. 

Cheers guys, 

Dave 

Go for it mate, just enjoy the day and just be careful you dont have to wreck your truck anytime you go over a bit of mud. I have been there and it is ok for plodding about and watch the others who have more experience and more offroaded jeeps taking the deep stuff its a good day out for a few quid. 

Ask someone whilst your there to jump in with them give you the rush and you will soon be looking at cheap 4x4 so u can go more extreme lol 

56 minutes ago, Davetyler said:

Go for it mate, just enjoy the day and just be careful you dont have to wreck your truck anytime you go over a bit of mud. I have been there and it is ok for plodding about and watch the others who have more experience and more offroaded jeeps taking the deep stuff its a good day out for a few quid. 

Ask someone whilst your there to jump in with them give you the rush and you will soon be looking at cheap 4x4 so u can go more extreme lol 

Thanks Dave. 

Thats all we want it to be really plodding - around in low box few hill climbs/descents etc. 

Thanks for the input :) 

Dave 

Just noticed your not really far away from merseyside, there is a few places that you can have a wonder around. There are a few greenlanes that you can have a go at aswell, that way you could get insurance if you do need it. There is a few clubs that do it most weekends. And it is better outcome than a pay and play day.

Il phone one of the lads i know later and ask him if they still meet up and throw you some details if you like

7 minutes ago, Davetyler said:

Just noticed your not really far away from merseyside, there is a few places that you can have a wonder around. There are a few greenlanes that you can have a go at aswell, that way you could get insurance if you do need it. There is a few clubs that do it most weekends. And it is better outcome than a pay and play day.

Il phone one of the lads i know later and ask him if they still meet up and throw you some details if you like

Wouldn’t harm mate cheers :) 

• 1 month later...
On 27/04/2019 at 11:09, WinchesterDave said:

Nice one Dave. Cheers 👍

Bit late on this but just a heads up, if you get in to green laning (bit different to p2p) then technically it's still a road, it's a BOAT. so you will still be insured irrespective if they dont say you are as it's a legal byway. Figured it might be of some help lol

On 08/06/2019 at 00:47, Hendrix's rifle said:

Bit late on this but just a heads up, if you get in to green laning (bit different to p2p) then technically it's still a road, it's a BOAT. so you will still be insured irrespective if they dont say you are as it's a legal byway. Figured it might be of some help lol

Cheers mate - appreciate it👍