An old Dog and new tricks.

JDog

As other country pursuits seem to be off limits for a few days my attention today turned to fishing.

Since I started coarse fishing last year after a gap of fifty years I have been attempting to introduce some modern methods to my fishing but they still remain somewhat 'retro'. Today I thought I might try something different and to that end I bought some hair rig arrangements and some pellets. Thankfully no one was watching as I faffed about trying to get the little plastic thingy through the pellets with the pointy little thingy but eventually I managed to get one on and cast out. Phew!

Over the next two hours (during which time I must admit I was thinking about pigeons on the gusty wind) I caught nine Tench, one Bream and two Crucian carp, the latter being the first of the species I have caught. I may try that method again soon.

Crucian carp..jpg

I’ve never caught a trench. It’s the one fish I wish I’d caught with my father while he was alive. He’d often talk about how well tench fought.

As for Crucian, I used to catch many on the stream flowing out of worsborugh damn in Yorkshire. Happy times indeed. I think I’ll go fishing on Caerphilly castle moat tomorrow.

Thanks for posting, brought back many happy memories.

On 26/04/2019 at 18:14, JDog said:

As other country pursuits seem to be off limits for a few days my attention today turned to fishing.

Since I started coarse fishing last year after a gap of fifty years I have been attempting to introduce some modern methods to my fishing but they still remain somewhat 'retro'. Today I thought I might try something different and to that end I bought some hair rig arrangements and some pellets. Thankfully no one was watching as I faffed about trying to get the little plastic thingy through the pellets with the pointy little thingy but eventually I managed to get one on and cast out. Phew!

Over the next two hours (during which time I must admit I was thinking about pigeons on the gusty wind) I caught nine Tench, one Bream and two Crucian carp, the latter being the first of the species I have caught. I may try that method again soon.

Crucian carp..jpg

A soft unhooking matt to lay fish on would be a useful addition to your kit.

My biggest Crucian was bang on 4lb. 

Super little fish crucians. Many moons ago we had the lease on some lakes in a very run down estate in Solihull. We realised that the one lake was stuffed with small crucians and they were struggling due to the lake slowly filling with mud being brought in by the adjacent river.... some clever clogs had put the run in on the up stream side of the pool so allowing all the mud and rubbish to flow into the pool rather than at the downstream end where it could back flow.  We decided to net the lake and transfer the carp and other fish to holding pools at a nursery owned by a couple of special Constables in our fishing club.  It all went very well.  We gave a sizable back hander to a Drott driver to work a couple of weekends and push the 2ft or more of mud and silt from the lake onto the surrounding meadow. Replaced the fish and three months later the place changed hands and we lost the fishing rights.  I drove bye there today and it looked derelict other than obviously overun by local people and their dogs.  What a shame. 

5 hours ago, washerboy said:

There's a pond in Scunthorpe that has a true bred crusian pond, these are all pure bred fish and its only £40 to fish this and loads more waters 

Could you please send me details including contact numbers?