First new general licence issued

1 minute ago, Davetyler said:

I know it sounds daft, should we print these licences off and have them with us when we go out? Or just use them live as and when

A few years ago I asked NE this exact question, and was told no need to print. I still did and still carried with me, never had to produce it though.

So now am I right on thinking because i know i will have wild broods of game birds on my shoot, I am lawfully allowed to shoot the carrion.. But if a rook/jay/magpie/jackdaw goes over I have to leave it.... 

1 minute ago, Davetyler said:

I know it sounds daft, should we print these licences off and have them with us when we go out? Or just use them live as and when

I always printed the old one off but that was only one, I believe you don't need to print them off , as long as you are shooting under the rules of a particular license for a certain species you are legal, 

Just now, ShootingEgg said:

A few years ago I asked NE this exact question, and was told no need to print. I still did and still carried with me, never had to produce it though.

So now am I right on thinking because i know i will have wild broods of game birds on my shoot, I am lawfully allowed to shoot the carrion.. But if a rook/jay/magpie/jackdaw goes over I have to leave it.... 

That is correct at the present time

11 minutes ago, rapid .25 said:

I always printed the old one off but that was only one, I believe you don't need to print them off , as long as you are shooting under the rules of a particular license for a certain species you are legal, 

That is correct at the present time

Crazy isn't it, you'd thinl they would have done "Corvid" not Carrion. 

Must admit i print them off but in this day of tech, you can easily get them on your phone. Mine are in the car with the maps and boundries of the land i shoot. Maybe ott but the average police officer wont know and if its there in black and white, it could help solve matters a bit quicker, if they arise of course.

10 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

Crazy isn't it, you'd thinl they would have done "Corvid" not Carrion. 

At NE they probably ain't even heard of Hooded Crows! 😏

Mind you there ain't that many south of the border! Lol!

Edited by panoma1

Well it was a couple of week ago i thought about it, as a lad i know said i needed to carry a folder full of paperwork every time i went out. I thought i can only just remember to take the right bullets for the gun im taking, driving an hour setting up and realising you have picked up 22 ammo instead of 17hmr is a a kick between the legs

there is a flow chart  which can be seen here that should help you determine IF you need the licence or not 

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/797975/natural-england-general-licence-position-statement.pdf

The first of the new General licences has been issued

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/carrion-crows-licence-to-kill-or-take-them-gl26

This only covers the shooting of carrion crows for protection of livestock if no alternative means of control exists.

Edited by psycho

23 minutes ago, psycho said:

there is a flow chart  which can be seen here that should help you determine IF you need the licence or not 

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/797975/natural-england-general-licence-position-statement.pdf[/QUOTE]

The first of the new General licences has been issued:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/carrion-crows-licence-to-kill-or-take-them-gl26

This only covers the shooting of carrion crows for protection of livestock if no alternative means of control exists.

Your links bring you back to the top of this page!

16 minutes ago, Davetyler said:

Thanks for that guys the more black and white we have infront of us the easier it is to prove something is right

There is no need whatsoever to carry a copy of this general license with you. It is after all a statutory general license.

However, users should read, fully understand and comply with the conditions.

2 minutes ago, dob said:

Can’t seem to get onto link for general licence , think its a problem my end but does anyone know costings for these licences ?

They are free.

It still says  " where reasonable steps to prevent predation by lawful methods have been and continue to be taken. "   I thought this was going to be the sticky bit?  How can you show you have taken such steps?  Is it you or the farmer that must show such steps have been taken?  They even list "non-lethal methods"   one of which is " Shooting to scare is a highly effective method, especially when combined with other techniques. No licence is required for non-lethal shooting to scare birds. "

So how do you show you have walked around "Not Shooting AT the crows" and it did not work?  Looks like a bit of a legal nightmare if Packham types want to take you to court to test it,

RS

26 minutes ago, RockySpears said:

It still says  " where reasonable steps to prevent predation by lawful methods have been and continue to be taken. "   I thought this was going to be the sticky bit?  How can you show you have taken such steps?  Is it you or the farmer that must show such steps have been taken?  They even list "non-lethal methods"   one of which is " Shooting to scare is a highly effective method, especially when combined with other techniques. No licence is required for non-lethal shooting to scare birds. "

So how do you show you have walked around "Not Shooting AT the crows" and it did not work?  Looks like a bit of a legal nightmare if Packham types want to take you to court to test it,

RS

How quick will umpteen complaints start about all the thousands of shooters just shooting near carrion crow to move the same birds nearer to someone else who will also have to not shoot at them - recurring. That's only going to satisfy CP&co that millions of cartridges are being wasted for no result and the noise pollution, and sooner or later shooters will give up wasting their time and money.