"im mainly......"facinated

ditchman

1 hour ago, amateur said:

Wasn't she the winner of the Miss Acle competition 1965?

you have your date wrong 150,000 years BC

started to clean up this historic knife now...dont want to clean it too much as i want it to look new but not messed with new.....i now fairly sure all the springs are the same size..

clean up 001tn_.JPG

clean up 002tn_.JPG

clean up 003tn_.JPG

clean up 004tn_.JPG

clean up 005tn_.JPG

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, amateur said:

Any thoughts on quite how historic the knife is?

Just looking at the cruciform screwdriver might date it as just prior to WW2 if it is a Philips head and postwar if it is a Pozidriv

read the first post.........its made for the british army as a one off officers horse knife for the Boer War campaign............there were 3 models...the base model a pic of it has been posted up by Tightchoke

Edited by ditchman

i think it might a little later than the actual boer war which ended 1902....stainless didnt really come about commercially until 1913....

lets say it was for the African Campaign...that should cover it...

Looking at your detailed photos, it looks as though you have a cruciform screwdriver (but I may be misreading it).

The earliest general commercial use of the Philips head, was, I believe, in the late 1930's and the Pozidriv, post-war

2 minutes ago, amateur said:

Looking at your detailed photos, it looks as though you have a cruciform screwdriver (but I may be misreading it).

The earliest general commercial use of the Philips head, was, I believe, in the late 1930's and the Pozidriv, post-war

there is no posidrive....................at the moment im trying to date it by the can opener..........i will clean the rest of it up tomorrow and we will take a good look........:good:

Edited by ditchman

1 minute ago, ditchman said:

there is no posidrive....................

OK then, it's just the fall of the shadows and reflections that mislead me into thinking that there was a cruciform screwdriver.

18 minutes ago, amateur said:

OK then, it's just the fall of the shadows and reflections that mislead me into thinking that there was a cruciform screwdriver.

its a scalloped awl..............i will post up better pics 2moz

The knife is all apart and cleaned and polished up.......havnt given it a mirror finish as that would look unatural....................

put a different pic up of the scalloped awl...as it did look like a pozidrive,,...........had another wizz on the net and i can get O1 3mm times 10mm plate which i can file and temper into springs....so getting the 10mm wide stuff i have a lot less fileing and cutting to do...........

had a whizz about on the net also for other knives  and found a company in Edinburgh that makes a similar knife in 1913....i think the bits were ordered from sheffield then put together and worked up where the makers / sellars name would be impressed and sold as ......similar to the midrange gun trade..........

still have not found the excact model as this one...............

i shall now pack this away ...and start work on it when i have got my next order of steel............

pearson clean 001tn_.JPG

pearson clean 002tn_.JPG

pearson clean 003tn_.JPG

pearson clean 004tn_.JPG

pearson clean 005tn_.JPG

pearson clean 006tn_.JPG

pearson clean 007tn_.JPG

pearson clean 008tn_.JPG

pearson clean 009tn_.JPG

4 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Coming along nicely.  Lovely old historic knife well worth the work.  Just hope you know how to put it back together again, but sure you do.

thats why i took plenty of pics...:lol:

23 minutes ago, amateur said:

Thanks for clearing awl my confusion over the photo

not too sure what it is for............it has a sharp edge going clockwise..........it is a similar design to a reamer for reaming out and cleaning 17-18th century cannon touch-hole......but it is 70 years further on.................

any guess's ?

could it be a tool for testing the maturity of a cheese ?

Edited by ditchman

• 3 weeks later...

Now that old farriers knife is back in his pocket ...i can turn back to the historic perason multi horse knife.........

as i said before the springs are all broken...so i have taken on of the springs and silver brazed it together...at the right angle...as all of the springs are defo the same i can use this as a template..

it needs to be cut and shaped to "the relaxed position"   so when it goes together it will then come under tension..........i will keep the spring the same size ...except for the hole area...which i will make a bit bigger on the under side....i also believe the temper of the spring was not quite right....i think it was still too hard...so i will address that when the time comes..............

next job is to order up the steel...

boer war 001tn_.JPG

boer war 002tn_.JPG

boer war 003tn_.JPG

boer war 004tn_.JPG

boer war 005tn_.JPG

boer war 006tn_.JPG

boer war 007tn_.JPG