"im mainly......"facinated

ditchman

5 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I think you deserve a glass of something nice with your dinner!:good:

just going to feed the dog.....then i shall connect up the old plonko drip...............man i will be solid gone to-nite as i havnt touched the sauce for 3 days..:lol:

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

first spring now done............the old spring thickness is 2.997mm.........(slightly less than the blade) and the new spring thickness is 3.274mm.....which will allow polishing fitting etc and any anomolys during heat treating ..........

when i added up all my bits of time this one spring has taken nearly 5 hours to make.........ive really got a sense of acheivement with it as well........at the hinge point i have beefed it up a little bit (left more meat on it....)

:good:

spring 1 fin 001tn_.JPG

spring 1 fin 002tn_.JPG

spring 1 fin 003tn_.JPG

spring 1 fin 004tn_.JPG

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

But the D2 was then heat treated to temper it, the 01 is already set up and doesn't need its particles aligning.

the O1 still has to go to 1400degs -1450deg....then quenched in oil..............then it will be cleaned polished and then heated (tempered) to a nice blue colour which is the correct colour/temp for a spring application......when you buy GFS O1 it is in its annealed state (soft)

the D2 is heated to 1800-1850deg......then air hardened.....then i tempered it to a pale straw colour for the blade

Edited by ditchman
extra important information

6 hours ago, ditchman said:

the O1 still has to go to 1400degs -1450deg....then quenched in oil..............then it will be cleaned polished and then heated (tempered) to a nice blue colour which is the correct colour/temp for a spring application......when you buy GFS O1 it is in its annealed state (soft)

the D2 is heated to 1800-1850deg......then air hardened.....then i tempered it to a pale straw colour for the blade

This is the thing of wizardry.Great thread though as ever.Jaw dropping work.

The magnetic test works most of the time but you need a different plan with certain stainless steels.

Austenitic stainless steel for instance has a very high chromium and nickel content and as such is non magnetic but is pretty damn hard in the first place.

Edited by fatchap

1 hour ago, fatchap said:

The magnetic test works most of the time but you need a different plan with certain stainless steels.

Austenitic stainless steel for instance has a very high chromium and nickel content and as such is non magnetic but is pretty damn hard in the first place.

thats why i go for the old O1 or W1 ..D2 types.......................there are so many alloy steels about now some or most of them if treated right are far better than what im using....i could spend a lifetime studying steels and still wouldnt know enough about them..........:good:

I try to stick to D2, I bought a flat bar of 01 tool steel last week and the manufacturer was kind enough to put the "ingredients" on the packaging, for instance 1.2% molybdenum, 0.7% tungsten, 0.8% titanium, I could go on the list was quite extensive.

1 hour ago, fatchap said:

I try to stick to D2, I bought a flat bar of 01 tool steel last week and the manufacturer was kind enough to put the "ingredients" on the packaging, for instance 1.2% molybdenum, 0.7% tungsten, 0.8% titanium, I could go on the list was quite extensive.

yeah the same was on mine ............nice list of ingredients .......wonder they didnt include cooking times and side menu

just on the by.................bought my usual packet of spuds from the spa shop...........and happened to glance on the back

yup you guessed it

INGREDIENTS:

Potatoe

i kid you not

Edited by ditchman

Dry Roasted peanuts on the back.........

Caution may contain nuts!

Another that made me chuckle was a bottle of sparkling pure natural mineral water, filtered over a 1000 years through a mountain. Not sure which mountain maybe one on Mars as the list of ingredients and chemicals was quite long, why put Acesulfame Potassium in pure water, I believe its a artificial sweetener it did say trace which obviously makes it alright.

2 hours ago, fatchap said:

Dry Roasted peanuts on the back.........

Caution may contain nuts!

Another that made me chuckle was a bottle of sparkling pure natural mineral water, filtered over a 1000 years through a mountain. Not sure which mountain maybe one on Mars as the list of ingredients and chemicals was quite long, why put Acesulfame Potassium in pure water, I believe its a artificial sweetener it did say trace which obviously makes it alright.

Hhahhhahhaha......yeah ive seen that before,,:lol:

not doing much today....had a little grind this afternoon..........and i thought this would be an interesting pic' to put up ...showing the various stages of making a spring.......

(well i thought it was interesting......please yerselves..:lol:..)

bit by bit 001tn_.JPG