Natural England publishes first new general licence

Natural England publishes first new general licence

April 26 2019 

Natural England has just published the first of its new general licences - for carrion crows. 

Those who need to control these crows in the circumstances described in this licence, for example where crows cause harm to new lambs, can now do so without further steps: there is no need to apply for an individual licence. 

BASC advises members to read the full details of the licence, which are available on NE’s website here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/carrion-crows-licence-to-kill-or-take-them-gl26

BASC will continue to link to updates on the situation around general licences as they become available. 

Before you start celebrating you should read the licence detail, particularly this clause :e) Any person using this licence must be able to show, if asked by an officer of Natural England or the Police: (i) what type of livestock any action under this licence is protecting; (ii) what lawful methods have been, and are being, taken to prevent predation of such livestock by carrion crow or why the lawful methods have they have not been taken;

In other words you need to do your homework on how and where all these methods have been used prior to deciding to take your gun out to shoot them, and have some proof of these efforts to control prior to lethal action with your shotgun.!!!!!!!

If the wood pigeon control licence follows this reasoning you will need to wear bright clothing, jump up and down, shout loudly and run about in the field before you can take out your gun to shoot them, and you will need to film yourself taking these measures to prove you tried everything before resorting to lethal action. 

Edited by lakeside1000

2 minutes ago, lakeside1000 said:

Before you start celebrating you should read the licence detail, particularly this clause :e) Any person using this licence must be able to show, if asked by an officer of Natural England or the Police: (i) what type of livestock any action under this licence is protecting; (ii) what lawful methods have been, and are being, taken to prevent predation of such livestock by carrion crow or why the lawful methods have they have not been taken;

In other words you need to do your homework on how and where all these methods have been used prior to deciding to take your gun out to shoot them, and have some proof of these efforts to control prior to lethal action with your shotgun.!!!!!!!

You make a wise point. I think this is the area where the general license fell flat and was therefore subject to legal challenge.

I'd have an answer. Something like "i walked them off at 6.30am and yelped at them and they ****** off for a while and now they're filling back their faces so i decided to shoot the ****ers and if you're not happy with that explanation please take me to court so that i can sue you **** off". Good bye.              

Oh Whitebridges, if only !! I think we could all think of some wise words for these un-elected wildlife protectionists, we look forward with interest to the wording of the wood pigeon licence due for publication on Monday, and for that matter all of the new licence's as they appear. woop-y-doo

9 minutes ago, lakeside1000 said:

Oh Whitebridges, if only !! I think we could all think of some wise words for these un-elected wildlife protectionists, we look forward with interest to the wording of the wood pigeon licence due for publication on Monday, and for that matter all of the new licence's as they appear. woop-y-doo

My post above is precisely what i am going to do. I'm not going to get a 4K camera out and make a feature film of my efforts to disperse pigeons gorging rape, peas, brasicas etc. full stop.

The authorities whoever they are WILL NOT be geared up for this type of situation in at least a million years. By which time we will (hopefully) have left the EU so we can them make up our own rules......

I'd say the likelihood of me getting challenged is well past 1000/1  and if i am i'll take them to the sword, that's a promise.