.308 Tactical set up - advice

robmiller

On 27/04/2019 at 18:55, robmiller said:

Hi all

considering a .308 tactical set up. Target and hunting.

advice appreciated on makes/ models and scopes 

many thanks 

depends on what your hunting,if your built like a brick ****house then lugging a heavy barrel 308 round the hills will be no prob.

19 hours ago, Remimax said:

depends on what your hunting,if your built like a brick ****house then lugging a heavy barrel 308 round the hills will be no prob.

My feelings, I just don't see Tactical and Hunting in the same sentence!

1 hour ago, scarecrow243 said:

mine also what estate etc would like you to turn up with a .308 that looks like an ak47  etc

Must agree that it doesn't do the image of deer stalking any favours when you look more like something out of Rambo.

Now I know that the gun underneath is just the same but that is not the way it is perceived.   I'll stick to my Remington 700 in .243 and fieldcraft and patience.  

You can have your cake and eat it something like a Tikka T3X Sporter (which I have in 6.5x55) or a Sako TRG22. But as said before these are not lightweight rifles. If by hunting you mean ambushing from a high seat or vehicle then these will fit your bill as can you develop a target load and and a sporting load.

If on the other hand by hunting you mean crawling for 400m on your belly for a one off shot at a prize Buck/Stag then I would suggest the two uses are incompatible and two rifles is a better (and less eyebrow raising) option. 

Edited by The Burpster
Typo