Packham's 'law' kills song birds

I have today witnessed the killing of blackbird fledglings by a magpie in our front garden. The parents were powerless to protect their nest. It would have been illegal for me to shoot the killer. I cannot express how much I detest and despise Packham and his anonymous supporters.

1 minute ago, Cumbrian said:

I have today witnessed the killing of blackbird fledglings by a magpie in our front garden. The parents were powerless to protect their nest. It would have been illegal for me to shoot the killer. I cannot express how much I detest and despise Packham and his anonymous supporters.

Good subject matter for a letter/email to the newspapers.....it doesn't need to be long or involved just a few lines will do it!

7 minutes ago, Cumbrian said:

Of course, had you applied for a personal license you could have legally shot it !

Last week end I was asked if I could take a rifle and sort out some crow in a paddock that had lambs in, I was asked to take a 22 with a mod or air rifle so not to frighten the ibis nesting on one side and the lapwings nesting on the other side so off I went and knocked a few over, now as he cant protect his lambs he moved them and the lapwings are going to have to put up with their nests being raided. 

But his lambs should be safer from crow just got to sort out the foxes instead. So for a farmer that was all about balance and knew he would loose some lambs, some to foxes and some to crows but if one or the other started being a problem they could be sorted he has now said as the crows are basically off limits take as many foxes as you can.

This reminds me of why I dislike magpies so much. When I was clearing out an old, derelict house , that was to be demolished to make way for a replacement, I noticed that a blackbird had nested on the ceiling boards. I checked the nest and found it was full of eggs, so I put the work on hold until the nest was empty. I kept an eye on it, and saw they had hatched from the broken shells on the floor. Not long after that I saw a magpie coming out of the house followed by one of the blackbirds. I checked the nest and the ******* had cleared it out. I've also seen it happen to countless swallows nests around the yard.

It just goes to show how little Wild Justice knows about how nature works.

42 minutes ago, bluesj said:

Last week end I was asked if I could take a rifle and sort out some crow in a paddock that had lambs in, I was asked to take a 22 with a mod or air rifle so not to frighten the ibis nesting on one side and the lapwings nesting on the other side so off I went and knocked a few over, now as he cant protect his lambs he moved them and the lapwings are going to have to put up with their nests being raided. 

But his lambs should be safer from crow just got to sort out the foxes instead. So for a farmer that was all about balance and knew he would loose some lambs, some to foxes and some to crows but if one or the other started being a problem they could be sorted he has now said as the crows are basically off limits take as many foxes as you can.

Why can't he protect his lambs, GL for crows attacking livestock has been active since yesterday.

2 minutes ago, toontastic said:

Why can't he protect his lambs, GL for crows attacking livestock has been active since yesterday.

There wasn't a gl for crow on Thursday when he moved them, even with the new gl he would have to use none lethal means first and loose more lambs to prove they didn't work. 

2 hours ago, panoma1 said:

Good subject matter for a letter/email to the newspapers.....it doesn't need to be long or involved just a few lines will do it!

Yes, good idea, I''ll try that.  The Daily Telegraph has already had letters from conservationists on exactly this point.

1 hour ago, CharlieT said:

Of course, had you applied for a personal license you could have legally shot it !

Perhaps I should have done but I had read only about licences for shooting in the interests of farmers, which is alright as far as it goes, if the licences are effective and comprehensive. I have not read about licences that continue the previous provision for shooting corvids if they threaten other bird species. Are they available? There is such a fog over the whole matter that I am lost.

2 hours ago, Cumbrian said:

Pity you did not video it and send a copy to ne and Mr packham. I am sure they would enjoy some of the carnage they are responsible for. He maybe could have used the footage in his next series. 

Edited by bostonmick

1 minute ago, bostonmick said:

Pity you did not video it and send a copy to ne and Mr packham. I am sure they would enjoy some of the carnage they are responsible for. 

Agreed, but I'm afraid that I am no use with a video (on a mobile phone or otherwise), though I am quite handy with an air rifle and a .22 LR.   

33 minutes ago, bluesj said:

I think Packham is just using "conservation" as a means to his goal, stop grouse shooting as rich people do it, stop the badger cull as it only helps rich farmers, stop pigeon and crow shooting as it only helps rich land owners.

I suspect you are right! I do not believe he is a conservationist, he bears all the hallmarks of an ill informed, rabid, protectionist anti, who appears to have little understanding or appreciation and cares even less about how farmers, gamekeepers, shooters et al look after and protect the balance of the rural environment and its flora and fauna! Evidenced by his part in the current GL revocation, he is prepared to upset that balance and damage real conservation, in order to get his own way!

He has a mental disorder (Aspergers syndrome) which may explain why he seems intent on trying to force his views on everyone and is dismissive of those who do not agree with him and do not share his extreme views, if my suspicions are correct, he is making a grubby, dishonest living out of pretending to know about the countryside and masquerading as a conservationist.......when I too suspect his real raison d'etre is as you say, to stop live quarry shooting.

15 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

I suspect you are right! I do not believe he is a conservationist, he bears all the hallmarks of an ill informed, rabid, protectionist anti, who appears to have little understanding or appreciation and cares even less about how farmers, gamekeepers, shooters et al look after and protect the balance of the rural environment and its flora and fauna! Evidenced by his part in the current GL revocation, he is prepared to upset that balance and damage real conservation, in order to get his own way!

He has a mental disorder (Aspergers syndrome) which may explain why he seems intent on trying to force his views on everyone and is dismissive of those who do not agree with him and do not share his extreme views, if my suspicions are correct, he is making a grubby, dishonest living out of pretending to know about the countryside and masquerading as a conservationist.......when I too suspect his real raison d'etre is as you say, to stop live quarry shooting.

I agree.

At the very, very least Packham is inconsistent.

Some years ago he went to Malta to expose and protest against the slaughter of migrating song birds by so-called Maltese 'hunters', and all credit to him for doing that. However, since then I have seen him on the BBC (by chance, I am not a fan of 'Naturewatch' and its endless emphasis on cuddly badgers) dispassionately reporting on a jay that was filmed repeatedly attacking a nest of helpless young birds ( perhaps blue tits, but I forget the exact species, to be honest) and making off with one after the other until the nest was empty. The point is that he was entirely without emotion or empathy as he did this. I believe that this is one of the hall marks of people with autism. (No attempt of course to intervene and protect the nest.) Then on a second occasion he recounted how he had once seen a grass snake with five lumps in its stomach that revealed how it had killed and swallowed five fledglings of unknown species. Again, he did this quite coldly, as though he were reading out the shipping forecast.

He has no obvious sympathy for wild life under threat from natural predators other than human beings. And that includes hedgehogs, which, as everybody except Packham knows, have been slaughtered by a badger population that has reached epidemic proportions..

2 hours ago, bluesj said:

I think Packham is just using "conservation" as a means to his goal, stop grouse shooting as rich people do it, stop the badger cull as it only helps rich farmers, stop pigeon and crow shooting as it only helps rich land owners.

Hypocrisy at its worst 

https://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/authors/chris-packham-net-worth/

11 hours ago, Cumbrian said:

He has no obvious sympathy for wild life under threat from natural predators other than human beings. And that includes hedgehogs, which, as everybody except Packham knows, have been slaughtered by a badger population that has reached epidemic proportions..

Which is precisely why his unfit to call himself a conservationist! His misanthropic views of human beings, especially those that don't agree with him, clouds, distorts and negates his self appointed conservationist status, because he is willing to use any and all means, even putting rare species of flora and fauna at risk, in order to win his own imaginary "war" against those that currently control the countryside and impose his own views on society, managing the countryside as he wishes to dictate, it should be managed!

Look up the scientist Asperger's (who's name Packhams disability is named after) link with the Nazis.......makes interesting reading!

12 hours ago, panoma1 said:

I couldn`t agree more. His Aspergers syndrome means he is unable to see things from anyone elses point of view (regardless of facts presented to him), I imagine his own views often contradict his own views and he will plough on with his cause despite knowing it may be wrong because of his brain`s inability to accept that he could be wrong.

It`s a shame he wasn`t given a .410 as a child instead of a pair of binoculars, we might now have him as a champion  of shooting, instead of trying to stop all forms of it.

I wonder how many of the public,and his obsessive followers are aware that he has Aspergers, which prevents him from understanding reality.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/proginfo/2017/42/chris-packham-aspergers-and-me

Please remember that COTSWOLD OUTDOORS outdoor gear utilises Packham for promotion of products. So perhaps a reminder to the company just how their promo man's popularity ratings are soaring - not.!

I used to purchase quite a bit of their clothing and camping gear.....but no more.

I’m surprised that this topic hasn’t been merged with “changes to the general licence” unlike my topic I posted with a link for a petition to sack packham from the bbc! It’s on page 24 of the topic but I would have thought it would have got a better response on its own topic as it’s got NAF ALL to do with the general licence!

18 hours ago, Cumbrian said:

I agree.

At the very, very least Packham is inconsistent.

Some years ago he went to Malta to expose and protest against the slaughter of migrating song birds by so-called Maltese 'hunters', and all credit to him for doing that. However, since then I have seen him on the BBC (by chance, I am not a fan of 'Naturewatch' and its endless emphasis on cuddly badgers) dispassionately reporting on a jay that was filmed repeatedly attacking a nest of helpless young birds ( perhaps blue tits, but I forget the exact species, to be honest) and making off with one after the other until the nest was empty. The point is that he was entirely without emotion or empathy as he did this. I believe that this is one of the hall marks of people with autism. (No attempt of course to intervene and protect the nest.) Then on a second occasion he recounted how he had once seen a grass snake with five lumps in its stomach that revealed how it had killed and swallowed five fledglings of unknown species. Again, he did this quite coldly, as though he were reading out the shipping forecast.

The thing with this though is the Jay and snake are perfectly natural things to happen, i wouldn't expect someone to get all upset reporting this it's their job, I've watched loads of lions leopards crocodiles etc etc over the years kill and eat their prey, its nature, no one watches and thinks poor wildebeests. 

We all know there needs to be a balance and its why most shooting folk would happily shoot a crow or magpie.

Trying to pick problems with Packham because of his condition will do us no good.

The shooting orgs should be working every hour possible to combat what's going on, this could be the thin end of the wedge