Changing a fix choke????

ferretfan123

11 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

My memory is that they had chrome bores. Choke alteration would be a large chunk of the value of the gun. I would leave it at 1/2 choke.

Cheers bud. I'd never sell it. Thanks for the advice. Best start hitting clays, rather than blaming it on the choke lol.

The Baikals have long chokes and the chokes were changed by shortening the barrels  in the old sportsmarketing days.

The 30 inch barrels were around 3/4 and full the 28 inch around 1/4 and half and the 26 was not a lot and a tight 1/4 .

This from memory is what used to be in the old catalogues .

I never measured them, but i have had a few over the years and 28s to 30s did pattern comparative, so Baikal must have done something right.

My advice is do as suggested leave alone and try fibre wads and different ammo. pick something that patterns where you want the % to be at your range.

You can loose choke quite easy but putting it back in gets silly expensive.

Baikals are as mentioned hard chrome bores and will be tough to ream out, , my advice leave it well alone. But if it has to be opebed up shorten the barrels like baikal did.

11 hours ago, ferretfan123 said:

Thanks. It's an old baikal double trigger. It was my first gun, so holds sentimental value. 

hello, what model Baikal shotgun is it ? S by S or O/U, how long are the barrels, from what i understand you  can cut down a gun barrel yourself BUT YOU CANNOT EVER SELL . a single barrel is fairly straight forward a double barrel a bit more work required, as blaser and bruno said about 1/2 inch or 12.5mm should take off enough to alter the chokes to a more open pattern, how much choke is left after you would need use a bore micrometer to calculate, there are posts on PW going back a few years on this subject.

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

OPP As far as I'm aware, there is nothing to prevent anyone selling a gun which has had the barrels shortened as long as the barrel/s remain over 24inches (I think).....shortening the barrel/s does not render the gun out of proof!

As for the OP's question, leave it as is........if you can't hit anything with the gun, it's more to do with the operator than the choke! Lol!

4 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

OPP As far as I'm aware, there is nothing to prevent anyone selling a gun which has had the barrels shortened as long as the barrel/s remain over 24inches (I think).....shortening the barrel/s does not render the gun out of proof!

As for the OP's question, leave it as is........if you can't hit anything with the gun, it's more to do with the operator than the choke! Lol!

hello, thanks to reply, this came up on some PW searching back in 2011, but i agree on the shoot it regardless to ferretfan👍 

14 hours ago, ferretfan123 said:

Hi, wanting to change a fixed choke on my 12 bore from half to quarter? What's the cost? Does any body know? 

Whatever it costs to have a choke reamed out you will have made a very small difference to the size of the usable pattern it will produce at a given range.

Shoot it and learn to put it on target.

Point of order , you dont "change a fixed choke " You alter or bore it out .You can even have the regulated ,if you want to be posh .Correct terminology is important or we end up sounding like Americans .😉

Edited by Gunman

On 27 April 2019 at 23:19, BlaserF3 said:

Many years ago I used to have a Baikal S/S which was tightly choked. My cure was to cut about 10mm off the barrels and as the chokes had a taper it worked very well. The rib was soldered back on and the bead replaced. Job done.

Yes, we regularly did the same but didn't remove the rib...........it was the cheap option!

Edited by browning123