SDS plus drill bits - which are best?

lord_seagrave

Hi chaps,

I bought a Makita SDS plus masonry drill, and it came with a selection of bits.

However, I almost always need the 7mm bit, and, after a year of regular (fortnightly) use for installing vine eyes in brickwork, this isn’t going in as quickly/easily as it ought. The 8mm bit that I used today is definitely a bit wonky!

I like to buy good kit if I can, so, if I am looking for SDS plus masonry bits (6mm/7mm/8mm) - where should I spend my money?

LS

Buy yourself a diamond stone get some water and sharpen the carbide end till it's sharp and watch it fly through brick and stone. Without hammer it will drill wood and steel easily.

The best larger size bits were always hilti.

Edited by figgy

As above

plus

dont force the drill....hold it loosely and let it batter the brick...NOT like with a hammer drill where you have to,apply pressure

wihdraw/clean hole regularly

grease the bit BEFORE it goes into SDS chuck

it needs to move....i.e. ,"slack as a Wizards sleeve"

2 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

I think that Lidl have got some in at the moment - about 3 foot long some of them.

The narrow ones are ok...ish

be careful trying to turn  the larger diameter ones in a small drill....motor isn't powerful enough to cope with the actual weight of the drill. Also the flutes on the larger drills are not very good at clearing brick dust on the larger sizes, drill just bites and stalls

1 minute ago, bruno22rf said:

What power drill do you have Diver One, only I have had no issues with the ones I bought last year and our Bricks are bleedin rock hard!

I have many! 😂

2.5kg

4kg

7kg

all in 240 and 110... not that that makes any difference

the 4 and 7kg demolition hammer ( think Kango) are fine with them BUT the standard 'back of the van drill' doesn't like them even after incremental pilot holes . I drill an awful lot of holes in Accrington, NORI Sculpture, Staffordshire Blues occasionally . The big drills I refer to   Were , I think, Aldi specials a few years ago. Now anything bigger than 20mm gets a Heller or Armeg drill bit, bigger than 30mm gets cored

At that size I think I would splash the cash and get a Milwaukee from Toolstation.  The larger, more infrequently used sizes can be the Lidl special.  But it does depend somewhat on what you're doing.  As has been said, don't force it like a DIY-stylee hammer drill, and it should absolutely belt through most things.

21 hours ago, lord_seagrave said:

Thanks guys, really interesting.

I especially appreciate the tip re not forcing the drill - not something I was aware of :good:

LS

Thats why they've worn out in a year then.  I have drills 6.5mm that are easily 5 years old and used all the time.