New gun value?

mgsontour

Hi everyone, I'm in the market for a new U/O 12g steel proofed gun and wonder what you all recommend as a brand/model that offers good value for money without breaking the bank yet has a good balance/feel about it? If with your help I can get a shortlist then it would be appreciated. . . . Thanks in advance for your input

Any of the mainstream tried and tested quality brands such as Beretta, Browning or Miroku tend to be good value for money. You don't say if you have any experience of particular brands/models or whether you are entirely new to shooting, but to begin with I would try as many different brands/models as possible at clay grounds before settling on any particular one. 

Generally, many people find that one or the other suits them best, and a good coach would be able to point you in the right direction regarding this. Don't worry about fit as a beginner ( if that's what you are ) as a coach will be able to advise you of this also. Don't rush out to buy until you've tried as many as possible, and have a better idea of which you prefer. 

Edited by Scully

That's a healthy budget! Mine was £550 and I got a nice little 12b Franchi Harrier Game with 28" barrels. My mate got a Lanber for about £400. Not as posh as some other brands but seem to shoot straight enough (usually in the wrong piece of sky). Also used Yildiz and Lincoln and had a positive experience.

I'm a big fan of Silver Pigeons - my friend has a 20b with 30" barrels and it makes a lovely game gun but also awesome for pigeons. I get mega gun envy.

Browning 525 is also a good shout (as above).

All guns fit differently so you must get fitted properly. What we like might not suit you.

Happy shopping.

12 hours ago, spurs 14 said:

You could buy something like a new ata o/u sporter for somewhere around £600 , leaves plenty in the pot for cartridges , a few lessons and a few days busting clays , reads like you may be a beginner if not I apologise, 

They are lovely guns , only problem,  if you go for the ally action , you will be stuck to using light loads . The wife has had hers for about 5 years , anything over 28 grams does hurt , i have tried it .

20 minutes ago, mgsontour said:

May I ask something else to you all. . . .  Are all the mainstream guns mentioned above 'steel proofed' or is it a case of each model is based on it's own merits? Thanks again

Not necessarily all will be steel proofed, dependant on age. But your RFD will advise and those which are steel proofed have the barrels stamped with a Fleur di lis. 

When I wanted a gun for around a grand I went to a clay ground and used their Browning 525 - I went another time and used a mates Silver Pigeon and another time I used another mates Miroku MK70. 

I couldn't hit much with the 525 but shot well with the MK70 and the SP - I then found an older model SP 687 online for around £1,000 which I believe is better made than the newer models. 

It is a 2001 model. 

My brother in law also picked up a SP that’s 1980s something I think, it feels incredibly well made and robust but wasn’t 3” chamber and steel proof. 

Mad I shoot game and maybe the odd duck will come up I took the newer gun and he had the old one. 

If you don’t need a 3” chamber proofed for steel I’d take a long hard look at the older silver pigeons, 686/687’s etc 👍🏻.