Anyone from Gloucestershire

Jimmy864

Hello everyone, I'm new to shooting. 

I have had a couple of lessons and then took the plunge and purchased my first gun and now I'm hooked. I'm now looking to do some more regular Saturday/Sunday shoots but unfortunately i know hardly anyone that shoots clays, So If anyone's interested and in the same position as me let me know.

Thanks everyone, 

Jimmy

There are three possible solutions to your "Norman No Mates" problem

One is to identify shooting grounds with delays on their traps. When pressed it allows you, say, 3 seconds to prepare yourself. You hear a beep or two and the clay is launched. No help or buddy required. Check with Ian Coleys o/side Cheltenham I think they have delays.

The second is just go to a clay ground and queue at a trap. People behind you in the queue are like minded so just ask if one of them would be kind enough to press the button for you. They will.

either way, with regular attendance you will get used to faces and maybe get invited to join a group.

finally, search fo clay shooting clubs in Glos. contact the secretary and go for a trial morning to see if you like each other. Clubs are a helpful environment.

HTH

Edited by Bobba

4 hours ago, Bobba said:

Check with Ian Coleys o/side Cheltenham I think they have delays.

Yes, Coleys definitely do have this system and it is great if you fancy a quick practice on your own. The problem is that it is the most expensive ground that I've ever been to! From memory they charge 40p a clay (but could be more).

As Bobba says, visit a few clubs in the area and ask if somebody will press the button for you. It's always more fun shooting with others.

Hi jimmy,

Try http://www.cotswoldcc.co.uk/Prices-Membership Get there before 10am and speak to the owner (Nick) and say you are on your own and he will hook you up with other people/groups. It's a very friendly club and you should meet plenty of people. Our small group are there most Sundays - so Nick will more than likely hook you up with us at sometime. 

Hi all, Thank you for the information i defiantly appreciate it. I will get out there and test out some grounds. I have heard a lot of people talking about the cotswold cc saying that its a good place to start. Thanks again and hopefully see you all out there.

• 4 weeks later...

Don't forget MILT MEAD MANOR SHOOTING CLUB (search facebook) nr frampton on severn, alternate saturdays (sat 1st of June is next date) Compak & english sporting, nice friendly ground and good value.

Milton End Farm, Arlingham, Gloucestershire GL2 7JH 

• 3 weeks later...