Getting ready

Admittedly under the old licence, I didn't spend much if any time trying to 'move' the pests on. In fact i turned up as there was a problem, and tried my best to fix it. 

So under these new licences (or should I say these jokes) I've now got a little time to prepare for all eventualities, im going to make up a few bird scarers. Nothing fancy, maybe a dwarf scarecrow, few flags with eyes on, basic stuff to cover my *** as I have done my bit to try and move the birds on. In however long this **** up takes, my measures should be enough, with photo evidence of it. 

Anybody else going to do similar or leave it to the farmer/land owner 

Edited by strimmer_13

3 weeks ago i helped a mate out that couldn,t get on his perm 2 drilled barley fields bout 800 yds apart,set up on one,crow decided to go to other one,so off i went to flag off 2nd field,crow still didnt come to me,at 17 30 went to retrieve my scarer flags and blow me crow was all around em,.didnt bother em one bit nice bright yellow things blowin in a 20mph wind,good luck with your scare tactics.

The point is a deterrent that relies on scaring without harm, is limited in effectiveness by both duration (birds get used to it) and coverage (only covers a small area). I'm sure most farmers have had a scarecrow or gas bangers out, and in some situations they are OK, but only for a limited time, and only to cover a small area.

I've lost new born lambs to crow attack for the last 3 years. Ironically in the first year of the flock I built a very realistic scarecrow, I had no larsen trap, and with pregnant sheep I didn't want to be shooting around them. With my sheep rotationally grazing the scarecrow moved with them on a daily basis exactly as NE now recommend. However, within a matter of days the attacks resumed. So I ordered a larsen trap, and quickly caught a call bird and proceeded to trap a large number of carrion crows in the close vicinity of my flock, and the problem was solved. No lambs with their eyes and intestines dragged out. These days with crow control my lamb losses are very low, but even this year I lost two lambs near the start of lambing to crow attack.

Gas bangers are not appropriate around pregnant ewes. I am confident that under the new licence I would be covered for trapping crows, as I believe that is the intention of it. However, the exact wording does leave question marks. The idea that I should have to get a scarecrow out every year to prove that it doesn't work, and to then sit in its place (because I have so much spare time) to try and shoot a few crows is madness.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

It is as if the document is written by children for children. Absolutely clueless. Shooting/Farming Orgs need to get this sorted out ASAP.

1 hour ago, Teal said:

I've lost new born lambs to crow attack for the last 3 years.

Well, this can't be true. I've read several comments in the Daily Mail today from sheep farmers with 56 years experience (Dublin) and they've never seen it. Also Danish sheep breeders that state it never happens, it's always dog attacks. Finally, to underline my point, May from Brighton said farmers are just lazy and should bring all their sheep inside to lamb.

So.. you know... in the interests of balance.

One recently new farm to me has had some serious damage to his rape crops and he has a number of bangers out as well as two or three other gunson regular visits but the sheer numbers of pigeons have still caused considerable loss to him as they just lift and go to the other end of the field when the banger goes off.  Reducing numbers is the only sure way and this applies to magpies and jays with regard to the immense damage they do at this time of the year to song birds.    Bio security is also a big problem. It is not unusual to see 50 or more woodpigeon lift off a maize silage clamp, then of course they go elswhere bring untold nasties on their feet and add to this crows, jackdaws and magpies.  Reduction in numbers is the only way.

Think your not getting my point. They sure as hell won't work, that's what I'm hoping. I'm going to put a scarecrow behind a net, holding a long black pole. Hopefully when they are used to it and more confident, and this all blows over, I might have a good day. Plus I wouldnt mind showing the farmer a bit of initiative seeing as he's losing every day. 

I thought id make a point of not moaning too much and bitching about what has happened, and try and prepare myself for what will come. 

1 minute ago, strimmer_13 said:

Think your not getting my point. They sure as hell won't work, that's what I'm hoping. I'm going to put a scarecrow behind a net, holding a long black pole. Hopefully when they are used to it and more confident, and this all blows over, I might have a good day. Plus I wouldnt mind showing the farmer a bit of initiative seeing as he's losing every day. 

I thought id make a point of not moaning too much and bitching about what has happened, and try and prepare myself for what will come. 

And if you’re really thoughtful you could offer to put scarecrows in the neighbours that you don’t shoot on fields to help them out 😉

obviously after you cut down the sitty trees 

I go to a Sunday morning clay shoot which has rape in  the fields this year and there was still pigeons tucking in to it at the far end of the field even with all the shots cracking away at the clays just must be used to the noise

Edited by Jacko3275

2 minutes ago, countryman said:

I am not sure I am going to bow down to this, hopefully common sense will return shortly.

Yes, hopefully it will. Meantime as soon as that crop goes in in the future,  we will be erecting scarecrows and putting up bangers, and then we’re covered. 

Mate is arranging to put up scarecrows in winter barley fields ( as a preventative measure 😃) even though it’s still only about a foot high.  The occasional shot wil no doubt be fired now and then to scare birds away. All this is going in the diary, and then when the birds come, as they will, we’ll be ready for the off, having satisfied ourselves we’ve complied. 👍

2 minutes ago, Scully said:

Yes, hopefully it will. Meantime as soon as that crop goes in in the future,  we will be erecting scarecrows and putting up bangers, and then we’re covered. 

Mate is arranging to put up scarecrows in winter barley fields ( as a preventative measure 😃) even though it’s still only about a foot high.  The occasional shot wil no doubt be fired now and then to scare birds away. All this is going in the diary, and then when the birds come, as they will, we’ll be ready for the off, having satisfied ourselves we’ve complied. 👍

Pretty much what I'm going to do. As much as I dislike the current situ, for now, do a little bit of pointless groundwork, and prove/document the point across

9 minutes ago, Scully said:

Being mildly questioning without confrontation, if no specific deterrents are listed and specified how could you defend only having 3 scarecrows and firing the occasional shot as warning? Maybe deemed not enough deterrent by someone else as self satisfaction may not be enough? 

Maybe impossible to pre-empt the unknown

17 minutes ago, old man said:

Being mildly questioning without confrontation, if no specific deterrents are listed and specified how could you defend only having 3 scarecrows and firing the occasional shot as warning? Maybe deemed not enough deterrent by someone else as self satisfaction may not be enough? 

But its more than what most used to do. I can't think of a single deterrent I've done in the past, I relied on the farmer to do that, thus hoping when I turned up I'd have a good days shooting and please both sides. Something is better than nothing, having evidence is better than none, and untill NE make some new laws up, not a lot else I can do

Even knowing they won't work

Edited by strimmer_13

Surely the simplest answer is to use the banger's in your cartridge bag? "I fired off several shots to scare the birds off - but they simply returned" How much time and effort (not to mention the cost of some kind of acceptable recording medium) is going to be needed to successfully prosecute you?

1 minute ago, bruno22rf said:

Surely the simplest answer is to use the banger's in your cartridge bag? "I fired off several shots to scare the birds off - but they simply returned" How much time and effort (not to mention the cost of some kind of acceptable recording medium) is going to be needed to successfully prosecute you?

Exactly.. who is going to be following you around ?.. we have these exact rules here concerning Greylag out of season.. just use your initiative, surely the farmer will back you up. !

2 hours ago, hawkfanz said:

3 weeks ago i helped a mate out that couldn,t get on his perm 2 drilled barley fields bout 800 yds apart,set up on one,crow decided to go to other one,so off i went to flag off 2nd field,crow still didnt come to me,at 17 30 went to retrieve my scarer flags and blow me crow was all around em,.didnt bother em one bit nice bright yellow things blowin in a 20mph wind,good luck with your scare tactics.

Should get a photo of that!! Show that ot doesn't work!!! 

Just now, Farcombehall said:

we wont be allowed to use hides or decoys next

I can see that too from both sides. Our side we won't be able to control the numbers to be effective in protecting crops ect, other side is why are we drawing them in when our presence alone should be enough 😅 (im sure I can run around the field shooting from the hip at everyone that looks likely to land in my effort to reduce numbers).