Getting ready

It is very difficult to put bangers in and around cow sheds and milking parlours which this morning I saw had a whole bunch of jackdaws and magpies hanging around. the last bunch of ferals got sorted before the ban but more return every month or so through the year.  Pray tell me how I am supposed to keep these birds out of the feed bins, silage bays etc. the farmer and his staff don't have time to think never mind run around shouting and waving bags etc. and if they did the birds would be back within the hour.  Reduction in numbers is the only answer.

The enquiry from my one farmer this morning asked me if he applies for the licenses..he has to include one for each species, does this then allow me to do my job or is it personal to him.   I cannot see anyhting relating to this, any knowledge?

Edited by Walker570

2 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

It is very difficult to put bangers in and around cow sheds and milking parlours which this morning I saw had a whole bunch of jackdaws and magpies hanging around. the last bunch of ferals got sorted before the ban but more return every month or so through the year.  Pray tell me how I am supposed to keep these birds out of the feed bins, silage bays etc. the farmer and his staff don't have time to think never mind run around shouting and waving bags etc. and if they did the birds would be back within the hour.  Reduction in numbers is the only answer.

Careful how you word this, guess you would be using hush powers or air rifles to control as a shotgun isnthe same dilemma as a gas banger or rope. 

46 minutes ago, old man said:

Being mildly questioning without confrontation, if no specific deterrents are listed and specified how could you defend only having 3 scarecrows and firing the occasional shot as warning? Maybe deemed not enough deterrent by someone else as self satisfaction may not be enough? 

Maybe impossible to pre-empt the unknown

Well the whole situation is ridiculous. I shoot over several thousand acres. There is no way that I, or the farmers, will have the time to be setting up various scaring methods for no reason. As I have always maintained, scaring pests is just pushing the problem elsewhere.

1 minute ago, ShootingEgg said:

Careful how you word this, guess you would be using hush powers or air rifles to control as a shotgun isnthe same dilemma as a gas banger or rope. 

Yep, your correct all of my vermin control around the yards is with an air rifle from purpose built blinds.  Any foxing or deer control is from high seats and the closest to animals is 100yrds and we use moderators obviously.

motty, exactly.  If I frighten the magpie from my garden to protect the blackbirds nest in the ivy, it is only going to go next door and have the eggs or young away from another nest.

12 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Yep, your correct all of my vermin control around the yards is with an air rifle from purpose built blinds.  Any foxing or deer control is from high seats and the closest to animals is 100yrds and we use moderators obviously.

motty, exactly.  If I frighten the magpie from my garden to protect the blackbirds nest in the ivy, it is only going to go next door and have the eggs or young away from another nest.

Wasnt saying you dont.. Just we don't know whon reads posts so always good to male sure we state that we do use the appropriate actions. :good:

32 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

The enquiry from my one farmer this morning asked me if he applies for the licenses..he has to include one for each species, does this then allow me to do my job or is it personal to him.   I cannot see anyhting relating to this, any knowledge?

If he has applied you can act on his behalf without you having to apply also. 

11 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

Wasnt saying you dont.. Just we don't know whon reads posts so always good to male sure we state that we do use the appropriate actions. :good:

I wouldn’t worry too much about who reads what; personally I couldn’t care less. As far as I’m concerned I will be complying, and if anyone can prove otherwise then good luck to them. If the GL could be policed I think Avery etc would have chosen that route before a legal challenge, as nothing would suit their cause better than a string of convictions of shooters not complying.

Remember, WJ had informed NE that they expected a total overhaul of the GL before next January ( that’s 2020 ) by which time WJ May have had a few cases of non-compliance under the old version. It was NE which revoked the GL,  not WJ. 

4 minutes ago, gotgcoalman said:

He became a multi millionaire over the weekend and retired ,selling all his stock after the ban came in .

😀👍

Not disputing any action taken here to try to comply with the conditions, just pointing out that it's a potential minefield IMHO.

With no definitive conditions stated, no definitive  action to comply able to be proved? 

Thinking here more of the ease of multiple challenges from WJ against NE not on a personal level.

Not over yet by a long way?