Full cabinet!

Rob525

On 29/04/2019 at 12:13, udderlyoffroad said:

Ok, I’ll play Devil’s avocado here: If such a thing has attracted the interest of your FEO, why wouldn’t you invest in a decent size cabinet?  I’m sure the letter of the law places no such requirement on you, but why risk getting into an argument with your FEO over that?

I’m new to this shotguns lark, but have had air rifles for many years.  Prior to my first ever FEO visit, I fitted an Ebay special, “7 gun” cabinet, total cost £180 delivered.  Plus another £3.50 for some proper Fischer anchor bolts from Toolstation.

My FEO duly visited, inspected and even passed comment on the fact that he had seen people "trying to cram quarts into pint points", and couldn’t understand why they’d risk damaging and scratching guns worth 10 times what a decent sized cabinet would cost.

You could reasonably argue cost as a factor, but again, I respectfully suggest that if you have, say, a Browning or a Silver Pigeon check by jowl with others in the collection, that argument will seem unconvincing to an FEO.

Why? 

Because we are governed by the LAW. 

It is not up to individual officers or departments to make it up as they go along. 

This type of attitude from FEO’s and firearm departments has been a long on-going issue. 

They have tried it in many many areas, and they have no legal right to do so. 

Refer them to the home office guidance if it is an issue. 

They have no right to add inconvenience to you. If 3 guns fit inside and lock securely then it’s fine. 

If you can fit a 4th or 5th into that same cabinet and lock securely exactly as before then that’s all that is needed. 

4 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Why? 

Because we are governed by the LAW. 

4 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

The problem is, with many people, they are 'afraid' to challenge authority. I've done this twice (with the excellent help and advice from BASC) and got two ridiculous conditions/refusals overturned.

Thing is, I agree with you.  I merely wondered whether this was the battle to pick, or whether there were other, more pertinent battles to pick.  E.g. Conditions/refusals or variations taking ages.  I'm amongst the first to suggest people contact BASC should they have any difficulties, especially with respect to Doctor problems.  Remember, BASC themselves don't necessarily go reaching for the lawyers straight off the bat, rather they will usually assist you with wording in your correspondence to the constabulary.

I have now moved house and got a smaller cabinet but the one I had for the thirty years before that I made myself.   Could have got 30 guns in it if I'd crammed them in.

Absolutely secure and no questions ever asked.   There is no law to say you have to have cabinet.   The gun has to be secure.  

You could have a gun room that would take two or three hundred if you piled them up.   If you then sold the pile and kept three it wouldn't make them anymore secure.

He's way outside the regulations.

I struggle to get 4 into a 6 gun cabinet...hockey-sticks yes, guns/rifles, no.  Bought an extra cabinet to avoid getting rifles and scopes damaged when I increased the amount of guns owned.  End of day...if they fit they fit, and security's fine.  I was advised (strongly) to invest in a separate ammunition safe.  I put forward the argument that a small ammo safe is probably an easier target than my large, and very substantial gun safe.  House alarms, safes, big barky dogs and a Mrs with a blackbelt in eckythump helps.

Flatcap, whippet, 'appen...Aye...try coming between t'Yorkshireman and 'is black puddin' an' see what 'appens, specially if ee's Eckythump Grand Masta!

As only 50% Yorkshireman I'm not allowed inside t'hallowed halls of grand Echythump temple (tea rooms)....that's reserved for blackpudding belt 2nd Dans (and Jacks, and Olivers...).

Not arguing that an FEO is right or wrong in asking for a bigger cabinet. However to play devils advocate maybe the logic behind it from the FEO is that if you need to take 5 mins placing guns in socks and place them in a particular order in a top and tail situation just to squeeze them into a crowded cabinet, they then think there is a chance you can't be ***** one night and just leave the gun outside the cabinet unsecured?? I would just buy a bigger cabinet, keeps the FEO happy and probably means your guns are less likely to be damaged taking them in and out of the cabinet.

On 2 May 2019 at 10:54, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Oh the ancient Yorkshire art of 'eckythump!

MV5BNjY0YTNjOTEtOTk4Zi00ZjI0LTlkMmQtYjY5YWFhYjllZmQ3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDQ2OTk4MzI@__V1_.jpg

Used to like the Goodies until Odious Bill started out on his own twitching adventures. Almost as bad as CP.

OB

• 2 weeks later...

I "inherited" an additional 5 guns around Christmas just gone.    After discussions with a very nice man at BASC ( actually an ex FEO ) he told me that the capacity of a cabinet was only a guideline based on the number of 'slots in the foam' and as long as the guns were secured it didn't matter. Topping and tailing I got 6 in easily..  as a result of this I now store my 725 "barrel down" even though two off the guns have been 'given back' as it gives more space